Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 03:28 PM

3,166 posts, read 2,771,698 times

Advertisements

That is...a less appealing rent, to be sure.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:33 PM

994 posts, read 1,059,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
That is...a less appealing rent, to be sure.
You'd have to LOVE your unit or the upgrade in quality of life must really be appealing to pay that kind of money

Old 10-17-2017, 03:35 PM

I'm reserving my opinion in public.

No one responded to my question today. A little weird since they were supposedly ready to proceed with my file if I was still interested. Ah, well.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:11 AM

I was just noticing how odd it is...at 535 Carlton the top-band studios are $21xx and the top-band one-beds $26xx, whereas at 250 Ashland the top-band one-beds are about the same but the top-band studios are $24xx. That's a big delta. I think some of the top-band Ashland studios are alcove studios, but still!

Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I was just noticing how odd it is...at 535 Carlton the top-band studios are $21xx and the top-band one-beds $26xx, whereas at 250 Ashland the top-band one-beds are about the same but the top-band studios are $24xx. That's a big delta. I think some of the top-band Ashland studios are alcove studios, but still!
That is a massive discrepancy, to be sure, but line for line, 535 is way behind

Old 10-19-2017, 05:41 AM

64 posts, read 146,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCeagleNY View Post
Hey everyone. Thought that I would give you guys a little insight into our wonderful experience with BG. From the date that we were first contacted to the date of lease signing it took approximately 9.5 months. We were never disqualified and never forced to make an appeal, except we did contact HDC directly with grievances about breaking ground. We regularly contacted BG for updates and always provided our documentation immediately. We are a three person family with a Community Board Preference and had been told 4 months in to the process that we passed the round table review and that we would be shown a 2 bed 2 bath unit. Months went by and nothing happened before we finally heard from compliance. We were finally shown a unit about 6.5 months into the process and were told that no more 2 bed 2 baths were available. We complained to BG that we thought they forgot about our file and gave our unit to someone with a higher log number, or one without a CB preference. They said that they followed protocol and that no other 2 bed 2 baths were available anyway. After we did our HDC signing, we sent an email directly to HDC and spoke to the HDC supervisor for the 250 Ashland lottery (she is an absolutely amazing person) and expressed our concern that BG skipped us in assigning us an apartment and submitting our application to HDC in order of Log Number and CB preference and that we thought we did not get rightful choice of our apartment. We got an email back from HDC that we were right and that we should have been assigned a 2 bed 2 bath. HDC assigned us a 2 bed 2 bath that we ultimately signed the lease for.

Until we got word back from HDC about the new apartment, we were so upset with this entire process and the thought of moving into this building after getting screwed by BG. But HDC really came through, took our complaint seriously and provided a remedy. And, the building's leasing office and entire staff are the nicest and incredibly helpful.
Congrats on your new unit,I to was told lies by BG and all had to contact HDC,it's how I got my unit on west 43rd,also thank you for sharing your story about BG .the kind lady at HDC told me the only way they know if the folks like BG are not doing things right or by law is that folks like us contact them directly,,no matter whom is doing the lottery for the building they all have to follow the same rules,and BG love to skirt the rules

Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM

103 posts, read 100,136 times
Quote:
I don't understand how they even still make units that big. I haven't seen one that size in ages!

My file had supposedly gone to leasing, they requested more documents (while one was a result of somewhat understandable confusion, another was the result of them literally not being able to grasp the concept of term life insurance), now for some reason I am back at square one with a new rep who wants me to resubmit basically everything, even new paystubs, even though I submitted a fresh/current set of paystubs just a month ago.

Really, a disgrace. They keep rattling on about how 90K people applied, but so what? They are actually processing only a tiny fraction of that number, and, no matter how many they are processing, they ought to be able to (a) figure out what basic documents they need and ask for them the first time and (b) maintain the file of the documents they've been sent. That's just basic competence at the project they chose to take on.

Can't wait til I'm through the process one way or another and can file a complaint against these guys. They are the worst. It's unpleasant to imagine how they must treat their more powerless clients.
Hmm, I wonder if we were working with the same rep. I just submitted new paystubs, retirement account info, asset verifications, HR verifications, etc. at the beginning of the month. Apparently the rep I was working with is on leave since I've been asked to resubmit everything and additional paystubs from the last couple weeks. I was also asked for contact info for my husband's employer last year since they need a letter from them confirming he doesn't work there since that is the company on our taxes? That's the first time I've heard that. The process is frustrating and though I can see their side of why there are delays, it would nice to be able to see a unit to decide if all this running around is even worth it.

And congrats to TheWeeBabySeamus (love that username btw)!

Old 10-19-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu1704 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if we were working with the same rep. I just submitted new paystubs, retirement account info, asset verifications, HR verifications, etc. at the beginning of the month. Apparently the rep I was working with is on leave since I've been asked to resubmit everything and additional paystubs from the last couple weeks. I was also asked for contact info for my husband's employer last year since they need a letter from them confirming he doesn't work there since that is the company on our taxes? That's the first time I've heard that. The process is frustrating and though I can see their side of why there are delays, it would nice to be able to see a unit to decide if all this running around is even worth it.

And congrats to TheWeeBabySeamus (love that username btw)!
Honestly, I think the units are worth it. I'd say, hang in there.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:26 AM

So, yeah, I'm moving over to the VIA thread - bye bye Ashland

Old 10-19-2017, 10:56 AM

52 posts, read 34,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
So, yeah, I'm moving over to the VIA thread - bye bye Ashland
Wait, what?? What happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.