Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 02:49 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,858,811 times

Advertisements

OH you need to check your credit when they say that to see who and WHEN they pulled your credit report. Chances are he straight up LIED. I had this similar problem where they said they sent my employer verification but they never did... i trust my employer and they were all for me hoping to receive the forms.. So months go by and I say hey what's up my employer didn't receive the employee check and they go OH UH OK and then 10 minutes later my HR department gets a fax. this is like 2 months after my stuff was sent to HPD apparently. Then, the waiting list. I am certain, 100 % certain these lame non-profit agencies that do the original vetting are discriminating and let people they want to pass thru ASAP versus those they choose to hold up via inaction. it's disgsusting. if the city is going to give billions in tax breaks for the affordable housing programs, then create an agency that you can create transparancy with. I don't trust these non-profit farmed out agencies at ALL. they are understaffed, underbudgeted, and I believe being discriminatory.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:51 PM

In my case, I believe the dscrimintation was because I am gay, single, and older. They want to fill these studio and one bedrooms with as many people as possible, as YOUNG as possible, and straight because they want people to have kids and have to move out.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 PM

994 posts, read 1,058,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
OH you need to check your credit when they say that to see who and WHEN they pulled your credit report. Chances are he straight up LIED. I had this similar problem where they said they sent my employer verification but they never did... i trust my employer and they were all for me hoping to receive the forms.. So months go by and I say hey what's up my employer didn't receive the employee check and they go OH UH OK and then 10 minutes later my HR department gets a fax. this is like 2 months after my stuff was sent to HPD apparently. Then, the waiting list. I am certain, 100 % certain these lame non-profit agencies that do the original vetting are discriminating and let people they want to pass thru ASAP versus those they choose to hold up via inaction. it's disgsusting. if the city is going to give billions in tax breaks for the affordable housing programs, then create an agency that you can create transparancy with. I don't trust these non-profit farmed out agencies at ALL. they are understaffed, underbudgeted, and I believe being discriminatory.
If he lied, that's fine, so that means that they still have my money order...give it back to me and keep your apartment

Old 10-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Basically what I am saying is that if you are 40 plus, you will get discriminated against and put on the waiting lists because these tax abatements and affordable lottos last 25-35 years. They do NOT want to admit people who are 40 and happen to become senior citizens (a highly protected class in rent stabalization law) when the building loses it's affordable status. You cannot kick anyone out of a rent-stabalized lease after 62 or something like that. You can 25 years from now if they are in their late 40s or 50s. Why is NO ONE ever talking about this issue?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:43 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Basically what I am saying is that if you are 40 plus, you will get discriminated against and put on the waiting lists because these tax abatements and affordable lottos last 25-35 years. They do NOT want to admit people who are 40 and happen to become senior citizens (a highly protected class in rent stabalization law) when the building loses it's affordable status. You cannot kick anyone out of a rent-stabalized lease after 62 or something like that. You can 25 years from now if they are in their late 40s or 50s. Why is NO ONE ever talking about this issue?

My gosh, that would really suck if they are doing this. Although I'll have to admit, there are certain affordable units like Mitchell Lama's and like those ridiculous Stuyvesant houses where prospective tenants will go on a waiting list while management waits for the original tenant to kick the bucket. My friend got such an apartment recently from an older man who had passed away, but who got the original apartment back in the 60's.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
If he lied, that's fine, so that means that they still have my money order...give it back to me and keep your apartment
You can go really quick into CreditKarma.com and see if they checked your credit.

For this lottery that I am currently in, they said they checked my credit, but I'm not sure about this as it doesn't show up on credit karma. The last lottery that I participated in (and won) was Steinway Estates - where my credit was checked, shows up on Creditkarma under "hard inquiries"

Check yours and see.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:32 PM

52 posts, read 34,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
You can go really quick into CreditKarma.com and see if they checked your credit.

For this lottery that I am currently in, they said they checked my credit, but I'm not sure about this as it doesn't show up on credit karma. The last lottery that I participated in (and won) was Steinway Estates - where my credit was checked, shows up on Creditkarma under "hard inquiries"

Check yours and see.
If it's not reflected on your credit report, they still might have checked your credit. Just with a soft inquiry, not a hard inquiry. BG had to have checked my credit, but the inquiry is not on my credit report.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:28 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,954 times
If you don't see the credit check on Credit Karma, check Experian, which doesn't show up on Credit Karma. Several marketing agents use Experian.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:40 PM

Breaking Ground uses On-Site as well - the same background check my current lottery is using.
So far, it doesn't show up on my credit report, although on my current lottery, they said they've already checked my credit.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 PM

994 posts, read 1,058,052 times
Has anyone noticed any rhyme or reason with allotment of apartments based on tier? Are the higher floor apartments assigned to the higher bands or is it literally just going down the spreadsheet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery