Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 PM

272 posts, read 534,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
So I am writing this on the bus going home. First of they did not have my name on the intake sheet. No worries I wrote it in. Second there were a lot of people waiting to been seen. No worries I waited.

I finally was called in to a room with another young lady. The intake lady went over what we had at the same time to get us out faster. No worries I had all my documents ready. Everything she asked for I had. What I did not have was a letter from the stating my daughter attended school. No worries I had her report card tho and they took that.

Her comes the bump in the road. I let her now that my brother was on the original application but he got engaged and won't be staying with me. She said that may be a problem but she will push my application through and see what happens. She said that they verify your income at the office then send it out to HPD. Also the management company is being very strict on taxes and identification.

So all in all it went well.

PS. Excuse the typos I am on the bus.

Oh yes I had to sign papers for a credit check and tax forms and employment verification.

Sounds like you did ok. If you missed something they would ask you to get it within 10 business days. Once you actually go to one of these things you realize how much of a cattle call it is. My first one was everybody in a room and 4 people doing intake at the front. I didn't get that apartment naturally.
Now the hard part comes...WAITING!

Old 08-25-2016, 06:38 PM

246 posts, read 486,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Dweller_007 View Post
Sounds like you did ok. If you missed something they would ask you to get it within 10 business days. Once you actually go to one of these things you realize how much of a cattle call it is. My first one was everybody in a room and 4 people doing intake at the front. I didn't get that apartment naturally.
Now the hard part comes...WAITING!
I don't think I missed anything because she had a list she marked off and she told me to sign at the bottom. But if I did miss something I can get it right away.

Talking about cattle call some of the people I saw (God Forgive Me) I was like why why why.

I don't mind waiting I can save more money in the mean time.

Good luck to everyone again.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:40 PM

114 posts, read 180,350 times
heya, been slow to write bc i had to go back to work. it went quickly, much the same as sammy said. i didn't get any good info out of it. but i had everything and... we're on to it! weird question: does anyone have any idea what they do if they can't get in touch with one of your employers? don't wanna say anything bad about my old job's HR, but...

Old 08-25-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofcoins37 View Post
heya, been slow to write bc i had to go back to work. it went quickly, much the same as sammy said. i didn't get any good info out of it. but i had everything and... we're on to it! weird question: does anyone have any idea what they do if they can't get in touch with one of your employers? don't wanna say anything bad about my old job's HR, but...
First off, none of your former employers are going to say anything bad about you because it's basically illegal and you can sue if they do. So usually they don't even bother to check. Even if they tried to contact your employer and they couldn't then I would think they would come back to you for whatever documentation they would need as proof of employment.
A lot of times I think that these people ask for the sky just to see how far they can take it. The reality is that they can make due with much less. Do you think that most of the people applying for these apartments have all these documents? I doubt it highly.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:02 PM

114 posts, read 180,350 times
oh, i'm only concerned bc they had me sign "employer verification forms," one of which was for my old employer, a Very Bad And Big Financial Company In The News whose HR reps are literally drunk at their desks. i don't want my de-luxe apartment screwed because of them!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
First off, none of your former employers are going to say anything bad about you because it's basically illegal and you can sue if they do. So usually they don't even bother to check. Even if they tried to contact your employer and they couldn't then I would think they would come back to you for whatever documentation they would need as proof of employment.
A lot of times I think that these people ask for the sky just to see how far they can take it. The reality is that they can make due with much less. Do you think that most of the people applying for these apartments have all these documents? I doubt it highly.
You are so right they don't need most of the things they ask for. Because in the initial email/letter that had the list of things to bring was an employment verification letter. So when I ask if she needed it to go in my file she said no but she will take it.

The other young lady did not print out her tax forms and she was about to get sent home. Then she went in the other room to print it out. I was feeling bad for her because she looked like she did not know what a tax form was lol.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
You are so right they don't need most of the things they ask for. Because in the initial email/letter that had the list of things to bring was an employment verification letter. So when I ask if she needed it to go in my file she said no but she will take it.

The other young lady did not print out her tax forms and she was about to get sent home. Then she went in the other room to print it out. I was feeling bad for her because she looked like she did not know what a tax form was lol.

Well my experience is that they will come back a second time to ask for a bunch of stuff they didn't ask for the first time. Some of it happens because they have reviewed the first batch of stuff and they find reasons to dig further. It's a big game.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 PM

31,989 posts, read 27,145,665 times
Quote:
There is no federal, state or local statue preventing prospective employers from contacting previous; especially if specific and expressed consent is requested and given.

What happens with all types of references is that those being asked to provide can and have been sued for slander or other civil actions based upon what was said or implied. Thus today most employers will only provide confirmation of employment dates and perhaps salary, things that are pretty much straight forward.

Asking "what sort of employee...." whatever can open a huge can of worms. Even when an employee was terminated for cause many employers often refuse to provide further information, at least on paper. This is sad because persons who had committed crimes (including murder) get to bounce about doing pretty much the same thing until they are caught (if ever).

Old 08-25-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Asking "what sort of employee...." whatever can open a huge can of worms. Even when an employee was terminated for cause many employers often refuse to provide further information, at least on paper. This is sad because persons who had committed crimes (including murder) get to bounce about doing pretty much the same thing until they are caught (if ever).

Yes, I agree with you. That's what I was trying to convey.
One of the great casualties of our politically correct society is that the slime benefit from everything positive that shouldn't be meant for them to take advantage of.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Well my experience is that they will come back a second time to ask for a bunch of stuff they didn't ask for the first time. Some of it happens because they have reviewed the first batch of stuff and they find reasons to dig further. It's a big game.

all a big game to get into a nice apartment that is suppose to be affordable. I could pay mortgage with the rent they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.