Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 03:56 PM

132 posts, read 253,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscalepat View Post
Yes unfortunately still waiting on a response for 461 Dean, I know I will probably have to wait for a while because of my high log # but I have hope that I will eventually be called because of the CB preference. Hopefully I get a low log number for 535 Carlton.
I'll let you know if I hear anything. I have CB2 preference also. Our day will come

Old 08-29-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ725 View Post
So my cousin is in 66 Rockwell but almost by fluke. it took her 2, maybe 3 weeks to get approval.
But here is the backstory....

TONS of ppl applied like usual through affordable housing website, etc.

Somehow whoever they pulled first time waited 6-8 months and... pretty much NO one got in. OK maybe like 1 or 2.

The building opened for regular tenants BEFORE affordable housing apartments and most affordable aptas stayed vacant for an extended period of time and got super bad media flack.

My cousin was randomly surfing apts on CRAIGSLIST and saw the listing. Reached out and landed a one bedroom in 3 weeks. Grace of God really. But they were saying that the community board perference was too rich to live there basically. (aka that no poor or mod income ppl applied in the fort greene cp preference. i call BS, but whatevs).

So quickest turnaround i heard of was my cousin, but that was in round 2 i guess.
I applied to 66 Rockwell. I was pre-approved because I had a low log # and CB preference. They denied me because they said I was over income. Most people that applied were denied. They then had to do a second round of advertising which is probably when your cousin applied. I've applied to many lotteries that I am sure I was eligible for. As others have mentioned, income is calculated in ways that make it seem you earn 2-5K more than you actually do. It's the formulas they use and the projections into future earnings. I'll give you an example. In my job, we get profit sharing once a year if the company has made a profit. This is not income. it is like a bonus. In years when the company doesn't make a certain amount of profit, we get no profit sharing. The lottery folks count the stub for profit sharing as one of my bi-weekly (I get paid twice a month) paychecks and because the amount can be a couple grand, it makes it look like I make more than I do when they use their formula to calculate your yearly salary. They also then project that total amount into the following year even when I've explained that I don't get profit sharing every year. They are also inconsistent in their calculations. Some companies multiply your bi-weekly (twice month) income by 24 (24 paychecks a year) but some multiply it by 25 or 26. And it doesn't matter if the number they come up with doesn't at all match what's on your tax return. They invariably go with their calculations. I have applied to many lotteries and have been denied many times. And that was the case with 66 Rockwell. Most people that applied were denied and that's where all the bad press came in. Believe me, there are plenty of needy folks in CB2 that desperately need affordable housing. The only reason I have any hope for Dean St. and Carlton Ave. is because the income ranges are large enough to give me some latitude regardless of whatever crazy formulas they use to compute your income. But like many others, my income has gone up over the years and now there are very few lotteries I am eligible for. And like Upscalepat said about 250 Ashland, middle income folks were completely left out of that lottery. Our income brackets are the most elusive and so the pool of lotteries we can apply for are quite small.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:10 PM

246 posts, read 486,678 times
wo bronxgirl6 that is a crazy. You have been through all these lotteries and you get so close. Smh I think we go through hoops to get get out information reviewed for nothing.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
wo bronxgirl6 that is a crazy. You have been through all these lotteries and you get so close. Smh I think we go through hoops to get get out information reviewed for nothing.
Well Sammy, somebody is getting these apartments. it might as well be us. BTW, having your file sent is a very good sign you'll get park Monroe.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:49 AM

36 posts, read 60,524 times
I was relieved to discover this message board yesterday! It's hard to get information or perspective on these lotteries. I also just had my 461 Dean interview, with a log number in the high 2000s. I have CB-2 preference and possibly municipal employee preference (I started working for the city after entering this lottery but before the interview).

And now starts the waiting game. I had also heard rumor of an October 1st move in, but given the date today and the fact that the building still has a construction elevator on it, the Oct 1-Dec 1 window makes much more sense.

Thanks to you all for sharing your wisdom and experiences and I'll share any updates I get.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaha View Post
I was relieved to discover this message board yesterday! It's hard to get information or perspective on these lotteries. I also just had my 461 Dean interview, with a log number in the high 2000s. I have CB-2 preference and possibly municipal employee preference (I started working for the city after entering this lottery but before the interview).

And now starts the waiting game. I had also heard rumor of an October 1st move in, but given the date today and the fact that the building still has a construction elevator on it, the Oct 1-Dec 1 window makes much more sense.

Thanks to you all for sharing your wisdom and experiences and I'll share any updates I get.

I actually passed over by the building yesterday and my friend and I was trying to see if we could get in. But there is no entrance its covered for the time being. and their is still work going on on the outside of the building.

how was your experience with the interview. what did they tell you

Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 AM

91 posts, read 136,863 times
Yes to everything you're saying but wow and how awful to them calculating income in weird ways. Cruel and weird and unusual. Waste of time, resources and energy. If my numbers are my numbers why exactly would anyone suggest they weren't? Wild. Super unfair how they calculated a bonus and have you ever appealed? I thought I saw language that said that they cannot do that. grrr. bogus.

yes my income (middle class) is left out of like... every lottery. thats why im so emotionally invested in this one.

So after writing this post i went to research what they use to decide your income on HUD ad HPD's website.

This is what it says (aka, yes, they are allowed to include bonuses and to anticipate what we will make instead of go by what we currently make):

ANNUAL INCOME-WHAT IS INCLUDED
1. Question: What amounts must I consider or include in the determination of a family's annual income?
Answer: When determining a family's annual income, PHAs must consider all amounts, monetary or not, including the full amount, before any payroll deductions, of wages and salaries, overtime pay, commissions, fees, tips and bonuses, compensation for personal services, and more, as defined in 24 CFR 5.609. Annual income is a family's anticipated total or gross income minus allowable exclusions (e.g., TOTAL/GROSS INCOME - EXCLUSIONS = ANNUAL INCOME).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxgirl6 View Post
I applied to 66 Rockwell. I was pre-approved because I had a low log # and CB preference. They denied me because they said I was over income. Most people that applied were denied. They then had to do a second round of advertising which is probably when your cousin applied. I've applied to many lotteries that I am sure I was eligible for. As others have mentioned, income is calculated in ways that make it seem you earn 2-5K more than you actually do. It's the formulas they use and the projections into future earnings. I'll give you an example. In my job, we get profit sharing once a year if the company has made a profit. This is not income. it is like a bonus. In years when the company doesn't make a certain amount of profit, we get no profit sharing. The lottery folks count the stub for profit sharing as one of my bi-weekly (I get paid twice a month) paychecks and because the amount can be a couple grand, it makes it look like I make more than I do when they use their formula to calculate your yearly salary. They also then project that total amount into the following year even when I've explained that I don't get profit sharing every year. They are also inconsistent in their calculations. Some companies multiply your bi-weekly (twice month) income by 24 (24 paychecks a year) but some multiply it by 25 or 26. And it doesn't matter if the number they come up with doesn't at all match what's on your tax return. They invariably go with their calculations. I have applied to many lotteries and have been denied many times. And that was the case with 66 Rockwell. Most people that applied were denied and that's where all the bad press came in. Believe me, there are plenty of needy folks in CB2 that desperately need affordable housing. The only reason I have any hope for Dean St. and Carlton Ave. is because the income ranges are large enough to give me some latitude regardless of whatever crazy formulas they use to compute your income. But like many others, my income has gone up over the years and now there are very few lotteries I am eligible for. And like Upscalepat said about 250 Ashland, middle income folks were completely left out of that lottery. Our income brackets are the most elusive and so the pool of lotteries we can apply for are quite small.

Last edited by CJ725; 08-30-2016 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: updated with some info from hud

Old 08-30-2016, 08:46 AM

welcome to the 461 waiting room phaha!

glad to help and glad to have more help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaha View Post

Old 08-30-2016, 08:49 AM

Sammy, Sorry I almost missed this. Yes she loves it. I mean I do too. She doesn't use it enough in my opinion. She has mentioned feeling some discrimination in the lounge rooms/areas against her and her guests but I visit her often, love the building, think the staff downstairs are good and her apartments roomy and spacious. Most ppl in the building are friendly or at the very least, fine to ride the elevator with. lol. Lots of dogs. Grea tlocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy36 View Post
Well damn. They were not playing fair with that affordable lottery. I am happy she got in so fast. Does she like it?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ725 View Post
Sammy, Sorry I almost missed this. Yes she loves it. I mean I do too. She doesn't use it enough in my opinion. She has mentioned feeling some discrimination in the lounge rooms/areas against her and her guests but I visit her often, love the building, think the staff downstairs are good and her apartments roomy and spacious. Most ppl in the building are friendly or at the very least, fine to ride the elevator with. lol. Lots of dogs. Grea tlocation.

if she is paying to use the lounge are then she should not feel anything. everyone's money is GREEN.

but question are you tired of waiting I know I am and it has not even been a full week lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery