Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 05:32 AM

155 posts, read 187,273 times

Advertisements

Im trying to understand the logic of viewing the apartment first then waiting for the approval process... shouldn't it be the other way around?

Old 12-26-2016, 09:21 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,466,593 times
You're dealing with a government program, which doesn't always follow ordinary logic. It's also possible that something changed regarding the building, which the marketing agents can't talk about--even if they understand it, which is not necessarily the case. There's been a delay. When they showed the apts they were perhaps operating under one set of circumstances, which are now different. So things are at a standstill. If you were rejected, you would have received a letter. So I say sit tight and try to get on with your lives and keep applying to other lotteries, which takes no effort at all if done on Housing Connect. I know it's hard, but try not to overthink this, or analyze the motives of the marketer. I can assure you they're not sitting on rejections over some sentimental claptrap about the holidays. Again, it's a government program, and procedures will not always make sense to a rational mind.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:29 AM

Understandable. I viewed 2 apartments and the building looks ready to go despite the construction going on. I asked the security guard if anyone moved in, he said only those who are outside of the lottery are moved in. Hence why they are there now otherwise they wouldn't be working at the moment , supposedly. So yes the process is a little slower than usual. But it will eventually happen at its due time. Patience is a virtue. It's just a little wrong to have someone view an apartment and get their hopes or dreams shattered by getting rejected after viewing.

Happy holidays.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 AM

But it's not about hopes or emotions -- it's about compliance with a government program. There's been some glitch in renting the subsidized units that the marketer has no control over, and can't talk about--they can't reveal a lot, even if they understand what is holding things up. So they're sitting on it until they get new directives. That's all it is. Happy holidays to everyone, too. I'm not even in this lottery, but I find the thread interesting as one take on "the process," and wish you all the best. And no news is good news at this stage, so stop trying to figure this out and get out there and have some fun!

Old 12-26-2016, 05:42 PM

377 posts, read 510,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_perry View Post
I really don't know why you are such a female dog to everyone but that type of attitude doesn't belong on these boards. No, it's you who needs a hug- something is going on in your life and you take your anger out on others. Please get help
wow, that's not very nice.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:07 PM

35 posts, read 75,278 times
Found this overview of the lottery process from PACC. Has a sample rejection letter in it. I'm patiently waiting impatiently lol. Trying not to let this wait drive me crazy.
https://pacc.publishpath.com/Website..._June_2015.pdf

Old 12-27-2016, 03:59 PM

It's a big game being played with people's minds. But at the end its whom wants to fight for it all really. My stuff was sent to HDC and I got back that they need more verification stuff lol.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:27 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,863,309 times
I just want the rejection letters to go out soon. At this point I am fine if I get one, i've already become so devastated (lame i know) about possibly losing out because of something out of my control. My original housing connect app went out to all of these good developments with me clicking on "do you have a hearing disability?" I clicked yes because I am deaf in one ear and the other one is barely in the normal range, but that doesn't qualify for my placement in the lottery. Apparently I was only chosen to continue because of my hearing preference (2%), but up until a few weeks ago it was the first time I heard about that aspect as my original intake emails and paperwork did not request anything from my doctors (the part where it says, if this box is clicked, you have to have this paperwork filled out by a medical doctor). It wasn't clicked. I still have the original email from September. Apparently MHANY forgot about the disabled and municipal units set aside and rushed everyone through with a CB preference (which I have).

And seriously, I would never in a million years want to snag an apartment over someone who is totally deaf. that wasn't my intention. I have since changed my common app on the housing connect website and can apply (have been) for all future lotteries. I got picked for interviews for 5 developments based on the 2% preference, but MHANY somehow led me to believe I had a CB preference that was getting me through. oooof. I understand human error, but the last 3 months have been a roller coaster.

Now I just want to put this chapter of life behind me and wish the best for everyone else. I'm just bummed. Last year around this time I had ear surgery and was just recovering with hope that my hearing would come back, but the surgery was a failure (it happens in like 5% of the cases) and it made everything worse. I am almost done paying off my part of the surgery bills and I am tempted to just pay it all off in full with the money i've been saving for the security deposit, but I'm afraid to touch the security deposit money because who knows!? Not hopeful, and maybe i'll get a good log # in the future lotteries, but i am not in any of the CB preferences for them.

This whole ordeal taught me a few things. NEVER get your hopes up so high with unrealistic expectations. NEVER tell people about good things in your life that haven't officially happened yet (now everyone is like oh what happened to the apartment?) and I have to repeat the same story over and over and over and people are already pissy at me with my hearing issue. That's another thing, I never realized how cruel some people can be... like if you tell them you have a hearing issue, there are some people who will intentionally speak lower wtf. ? Or worse completely stop talking to you.

Happy holidays

Old 12-27-2016, 07:43 PM

I don't understand why you can't submit a letter from your doctor, who can verify your hearing disability. I don't want to make you live through anything again, but don't you have CB preference for Dean St., which would give you priority regardless of the disability? And again, if you haven't received a rejection letter yet, you're still in this thing. Since other people haven't heard anything either, there's obviously some glitch in the processing of the subsidized tenants, which is affecting everyone. I've been to a few of these rodeos, and they're very quick with the rejections when they've decided someone, rightly or wrongly, doesn't qualify.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM

186 posts, read 264,478 times
Has anyone signed a lease yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery