Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM

125 posts, read 364,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Are their offices at 1 Metro Tech North?

I went for an interview at 535 Carlton there and it seemed like they were a bunch of interns that a company would hire for a summer project. There were no separate rooms for privacy, you really couldn't tell who was on staff of MHANY or just worked in the office.

Are all the management companies that do the first interviews like this?
No not at all, I've had an interview with "breaking ground" a while ago and they are extremely professional.

And yes, 1 metrotech 11th fl

Old 12-22-2016, 06:24 PM

186 posts, read 264,447 times
I understand and can relate to people's frustration about this process. The upside is that MHANY is only running the lottery process and if you're lucky enough to get an apartment or move forward, you'll be done with them. It's not even MHANY people that show the apartments, it's Forest City Ratner. There are a lot of legitimate concerns that have been brought up in the forum recently, though it may be a better idea to bring them up with the proper agencies. But I do get that the forum is a good place to vent frustrations as well. Godspeed.

Old 12-22-2016, 06:32 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,862,561 times
I truly believe Mhany has been doing the best they could, and all of my interactions in the office have been nothing but positive to be honest. Very friendly, and professional (I didn't notice people walking around in bare feet though lol), but it's a carpeted office, who cares. No one returns my emails or calls anymore though after I had to send in a very specific form, that I think got me disqualified I think I over-reacted over the last 3 weeks venting here about the process.. I just wish they never let me view an apartment back in October and get my hopes up.. but oh well, we are all adults, I need to accept reality and not be a cry baby about not getting THE ONE THING IN LIFE I WANTED FOR XMAS SO BADLY hahaha. oh well. I'm not living on the street in a cardboard box with a shopping cart so I need to check my slightly entitled attitude. I wish you all the best of luck, I really do (even though every time I read other lottery apartment threads [i must be a masochist] and see people signing leases i cry a little inside.) That's okay, it's good to cry sometimes. Happy holidays everyone and a good new year and hope everyone who has been through this grueling process gets some relief, if anything in the form of a final answer from them! I think that's the worst part, the not knowing and waiting.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,466,071 times
Aquarius--if you had been disqualified, you would have received a rejection letter. Those come very fast. I think you're still in this. Given where you are in "the process," I'd say no news is good news. And wanting a better apt is not feeling "entitled" -- if you qualify, you qualify. And you're certainly entitled to it if you make it through this ordeal. There's probably something going on with the building -- you haven't heard because they have nothing to tell you -- yet.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:51 AM

5 posts, read 7,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I truly believe Mhany has been doing the best they could, and all of my interactions in the office have been nothing but positive to be honest. Very friendly, and professional (I didn't notice people walking around in bare feet though lol), but it's a carpeted office, who cares. No one returns my emails or calls anymore though after I had to send in a very specific form, that I think got me disqualified I think I over-reacted over the last 3 weeks venting here about the process.. I just wish they never let me view an apartment back in October and get my hopes up.. but oh well, we are all adults, I need to accept reality and not be a cry baby about not getting THE ONE THING IN LIFE I WANTED FOR XMAS SO BADLY hahaha. oh well. I'm not living on the street in a cardboard box with a shopping cart so I need to check my slightly entitled attitude. I wish you all the best of luck, I really do (even though every time I read other lottery apartment threads [i must be a masochist] and see people signing leases i cry a little inside.) That's okay, it's good to cry sometimes. Happy holidays everyone and a good new year and hope everyone who has been through this grueling process gets some relief, if anything in the form of a final answer from them! I think that's the worst part, the not knowing and waiting.
MHANY sucks ass.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:04 AM

35 posts, read 75,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Are their offices at 1 Metro Tech North?

I went for an interview at 535 Carlton there and it seemed like they were a bunch of interns that a company would hire for a summer project. There were no separate rooms for privacy, you really couldn't tell who was on staff of MHANY or just worked in the office.

Are all the management companies that do the first interviews like this?
I went for an interview for an apartment with ELH Management in August 2015, it was in a little storefront, but they were very professional and had a separate office to do the interviews and they made the copies of all of the documents for you.
I actually got approved for an apartment in October 2015, but it had 6 steps in the front of the building and I'm in a motorized wheelchair so I couldn't take it. They really tried, they searched other developments they had but no vacant 1 bedroom in an accessible building.

Old 12-23-2016, 03:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,862,561 times
I hope you wind up with a great apartment that accommodates your needs, usnavyairman!! Have a good holiday everyone who's been in this thread for months and months now, we all need a little good cheer this time of year and to remember what we have, although I know a lot of people in this thread are struggling, but there's still good in our lives regardless if we get the apartment of our dreams or not.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:54 PM

86 posts, read 104,375 times
Spoke to someone today and they said once again no news is great news. But viewings n waiting list letters are going out now. She said the process can be up to ten months.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:41 AM

155 posts, read 187,230 times
Enjoy your holidays everyone. The time will come.

Old 12-24-2016, 12:44 PM

125 posts, read 364,141 times
Can someone please provide all the steps and approximate lengths of time each step takes? In regards to everything in between the interview and lease signing. It doesn't have to be specifically for 461 dean but in general
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.