Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2018, 01:44 PM

39 posts, read 50,897 times

Advertisements

I don' know if they are only contacting disability people now - and for reference, and I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, I don't refer to myself as a "disability person" ... we are as much full-fledged members of society as you or anyone else and don't tend to define ourselves by our disabilities. It just so happens that I am able to apply for some of these apartments because I need the extra space which they provide. Hence, the 5% requirement for these buildings.

Again, I'll just assume you were writing quickly and meant no offense!

I'm going to for a one bedroom which the BG person said I fit into financially. I can only assume that perhaps they haven't meant their minimum requirements for the mobility, vision, and hearing impairment fills for the building and that's why they are now contacting some other applicants. It should not effect anyone else's chances as are separate set-aside apartments and there are very few of them.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:40 PM

275 posts, read 257,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
Weird- they are only contacting disability people now? They are supposed to take preference over the CB people and some of us CB people were interviewed nearly a year ago. What income level/bedroom size are you going for?

Also, they never adjust the original pdf advertisement to reflect the changing income limits. That's because the application period is presumably concluded. Also, the rents and minimums don't change, just the maximum income limits.
I thought they had to place people with disability preference before even the CB people? I have noticed that there are a couple unoccupied apartments that have a hearing impaired doorbell (marked that way outside), so I was thinking they already knew who would be taking the disability preference units and were making modifications to those units accordingly before people moved in. I guess not!

Old 01-06-2018, 02:55 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,847,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bey72 View Post
I don' know if they are only contacting disability people now - and for reference, and I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, I don't refer to myself as a "disability person" ... we are as much full-fledged members of society as you or anyone else and don't tend to define ourselves by our disabilities. It just so happens that I am able to apply for some of these apartments because I need the extra space which they provide. Hence, the 5% requirement for these buildings.

Again, I'll just assume you were writing quickly and meant no offense!

I'm going to for a one bedroom which the BG person said I fit into financially. I can only assume that perhaps they haven't meant their minimum requirements for the mobility, vision, and hearing impairment fills for the building and that's why they are now contacting some other applicants. It should not effect anyone else's chances as are separate set-aside apartments and there are very few of them.
Which income bracket are you in, though (upper or lower)? The changes to the income limits depend on which bracket you are in.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:59 PM

712 posts, read 772,578 times
Hi all,
Trying to guess what their process is will make you crazy. For all those who have been recently called consider yourself lucky, and hope that your wait is not 10 months with mostly no communication with BG. There are just a few families in the building so they have quite a lot of units to fill. If you were called and your paperwork is in order your chances are good. The building is not complete but they are working everyday. My one bedroom is quite a nice size and so far everything is going great. Prayers go out to all those who are in the process,. Hold on! patience and prayer is what you hold on to now. Keep the blog informed as to your journey. Good Luck to you all!!

Old 01-06-2018, 03:27 PM

26 posts, read 31,103 times
It has not quite been 120 days since my initial but pretty close. I assume that's why I'm having to resubmit now! Appreciate the updated info!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:02 PM

377 posts, read 510,613 times
Weird- they are only contacting disability people now? They are supposed to take preference over the CB people and some of us CB people were interviewed nearly a year ago. What income level/bedroom size are you going for?

I thought that a certain (small) percentage was set aside for the disabled and that a certain (larger) percentage was set aside for CB people. I am not sure what you mean that they would take preference over CB people?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:03 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,847,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incaita View Post

I thought that a certain (small) percentage was set aside for the disabled and that a certain (larger) percentage was set aside for CB people. I am not sure what you mean that they would take preference over CB people?
According to the regulations, disability people take preference over CB people, and CB people take preference over municipal employment people:

1) Disability
2) CB
3) Municipal workers

Old 01-06-2018, 04:19 PM

I appreciate the information everyone is sharing. I do believe that Wiivile is correct in the order of 'preference'(for lack of a better word. I've learned with BG, as it seems others on here have as well, that nothing is as it appears though so who knows how, why or in what order they are doing things. It is supposed to be 1. disabled individuals 2. CB individuals 3. Municipal workers but like my other exchanges with BG there is no rhyme or reason. I've given up trying to figure it out and just let the process happen. If I get in, I get in and I'll be very grateful. If not, I'll continue to apply for other apartments.

The only difference in the apts. for someone with a mobility disability is that the archways are wider so we can navigate with either a walker, wheelchair or cane if needed. The bathrooms are slightly modified so there might be bar in the shower which I've always had to install on my own at my own cost and the vanity might be made for a wheelchair to get up next to.

As someone else noted, the visual and hearing impaired apartments would be modified accordingly.

Interestingly, when I interviewed on the 3rd there were quite a few other people also interviewing for the same building. I didn't get a chance to speak to them about whether these were initial interviews, second go rounds, etc. but it was certainly busy.

I hope all of you who have been waiting so long and have been so patient get an answer soon. Fingers crossed for all that it's good news!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 AM

47 posts, read 58,373 times
Good morning all! I spoke to BG last week and they stated the office was closed for the holidays.They are also missing some staff which delays the process even more. If you were called for an interview, I'm assuming there's a unit available.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:33 AM

Hi UPWJazz. They were closed until Jan 2nd and reopened the following day. At this point, I've learned not to expect anything from BG having interviewed with them before for another apartment. While they are always very nice, they tend to be slightly disorganized (at least that's been my experience) and done in a sort of haphazard fashion. Hopefully I'm wrong about having low expectations and everyone who applied and made the cut will be very pleasantly surprised. I'd rather not get my hopes up and be disappointed yet again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery