Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 09:05 AM

47 posts, read 58,373 times

Advertisements

I hear ya! What happened the last time?

Old 01-09-2018, 02:29 PM

39 posts, read 50,897 times
So the latest from BG: Received a call today from the woman I met with on Jan. 3rd asking me to resubmit my disability award letter. Upon meeting her last week I gave her a copy of the statement from Medicare with the official stamp as well as the most recent award letter (dated January 2nd) which I was able to get from the website and is exactly the same as you get if you go to the Social Security office. Nonetheless, I am being asked to go to a SS office and get the same thing and give it to her. She also wants me to resubmit one of my asset verification letters because she can't clearly read the stamp from the bank! The bank official signed it, printed his name, put his telephone number, his ID #, address, etc. but she claims she can't make out the stamp. Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up. I know in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal but it is annoying especially after my last experience with BG for an apartment at one of the Hudson Yards Bldgs - 435 W 31st a few months ago. My log number was 47,xxx and I know I didn't stand a chance in hell of getting anything even with my mobility disability. Much to my surprise, I got an email asking me to come in for a preliminary interview. I scrambled to get all the paperwork together, etc. The woman was very pleasant, we had a good interview, she asked me for the money order, said I fit the requirements, all the paperwork was in order and then....she looked at my log number. Even she couldn't figure out why the heck I had been called in with a number that high. Needless to say, I never got past that stage and lost a $25 money order because she had me make it out to BG. It's useless now unless I got a call from another property that requires a money order made out to BG. What a waste.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:55 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,847,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bey72 View Post
So the latest from BG: Received a call today from the woman I met with on Jan. 3rd asking me to resubmit my disability award letter. Upon meeting her last week I gave her a copy of the statement from Medicare with the official stamp as well as the most recent award letter (dated January 2nd) which I was able to get from the website and is exactly the same as you get if you go to the Social Security office. Nonetheless, I am being asked to go to a SS office and get the same thing and give it to her. She also wants me to resubmit one of my asset verification letters because she can't clearly read the stamp from the bank! The bank official signed it, printed his name, put his telephone number, his ID #, address, etc. but she claims she can't make out the stamp. Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up. I know in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal but it is annoying especially after my last experience with BG for an apartment at one of the Hudson Yards Bldgs - 435 W 31st a few months ago. My log number was 47,xxx and I know I didn't stand a chance in hell of getting anything even with my mobility disability. Much to my surprise, I got an email asking me to come in for a preliminary interview. I scrambled to get all the paperwork together, etc. The woman was very pleasant, we had a good interview, she asked me for the money order, said I fit the requirements, all the paperwork was in order and then....she looked at my log number. Even she couldn't figure out why the heck I had been called in with a number that high. Needless to say, I never got past that stage and lost a $25 money order because she had me make it out to BG. It's useless now unless I got a call from another property that requires a money order made out to BG. What a waste.
You may be able to get the money order refunded ... take it back to where you got it. I'm sure they have a procedure for refunding money orders not used for intended purpose.

BG is so completely disorganized. Dealing with them is the hardest part of this whole process.

What income bracket are you in?

Old 01-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Hi WiiVile - I got it from the PO and I checked in with them about it. The problem is that she had me make it out to BG. PO was really no help so I'm going to see if I have some other recourse. I was a former Investigative Producer for 2 of the networks (before I became ill) so I should be able to figure something out. It's only $25 but it's still $25 if you know what I mean.

Income bracket from 10 FP is lower - 40,080. How about you? 1-bedroom? Studio?

Any updates on your end?

Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,847,113 times
Quote:
Hi WiiVile - I got it from the PO and I checked in with them about it. The problem is that she had me make it out to BG. PO was really no help so I'm going to see if I have some other recourse. I was a former Investigative Producer for 2 of the networks (before I became ill) so I should be able to figure something out. It's only $25 but it's still $25 if you know what I mean.

Income bracket from 10 FP is lower - 40,080. How about you? 1-bedroom? Studio?

Any updates on your end?
I think if your name is in the "from" field on the money order, you can deposit it in your bank if you write "Not used for intended purpose" on the back when endorsing it. I did it once before. I'd check with your bank.

I'm going for a 1 bedroom. Not sure what income bracket they put me in... I'm on the borderline. I will follow up with them in a few days if I don't hear anything. I've been waiting since March

Old 01-09-2018, 03:43 PM

March? Oh my goodness. I admire your patience. You deserve an award AND a 1-bedroom just for that alone. I am not going to complain about anything anymore given that so many of you have been waiting for such a long time. The lack of communication between BG and potential renters is really astonishing. I understanding that they might not always know exactly what is going on but the tremendous periods of time that lapse between when they first interview people like you (and others on here) and then just complete silence - or minimum information - is really disgraceful.

Totally understand they have to situate certain individuals in apartments first such as domestic violence survivors and homeless families and that makes sense but to leave others hanging for months on end...not a good way to do business.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that you'll have some good news to share in the next few days. You deserve it!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:47 PM

377 posts, read 510,613 times
Quote:
Their requests often do not make any sense and having to comply to such requests is extremely frustrating but you should provide whatever documents are requested as soon as you can so that you can continue to move forward in this very crazy process.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiivile View Post
I think if your name is in the "from" field on the money order, you can deposit it in your bank if you write "Not used for intended purpose" on the back when endorsing it. I did it once before. I'd check with your bank.

I'm going for a 1 bedroom. Not sure what income bracket they put me in... I'm on the borderline. I will follow up with them in a few days if I don't hear anything. I've been waiting since March

I hope you get good news soon. Keep us posted.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:57 PM

Thanks Incaita. I totally agree with you regarding giving them whatever they want. Makes no sense to give them what they already have but if they want it again, they'll get it again! Are you already in the building or still waiting to hear?

Old 01-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Thanks Incaita. I totally agree with you regarding giving them whatever they want. Makes no sense to give them what they already have but if they want it again, they'll get it again! Are you already in the building or still waiting to hear?
Yes, one learns to give them whatever they ask for when they want it. I went through a similar long wait last year...and am now a neighbor at 21 WE. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery