Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM

59 posts, read 72,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejoe1471 View Post
Funny you mention that! That was my NUMBER 1 complaint on my HPD letter, I felt discriminated from my age. You can tell from the stupid questions they ask. Unfortunately not everyone still has their parents around. I been on my own since 16 luckily not ending up on the streets.
Her argument was “oh you still live with your mom so are you sure you’re ready to move.” I feel interviews shouldnt be conducted because things like this happen. They may look at you and think you’re too young, or just not like how you look. I think if they get to your log, you just have to submit your documents and thats all. One thing about the bond street interview that sticks with me is towards the end, the man interviewing me didnt let me finish dating my paperwork. He was rushing me and said “oh ill take care of it later” I’m thinking he just pushed my application to the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 PM

65 posts, read 82,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazydaisy1 View Post
Her argument was “oh you still live with your mom so are you sure you’re ready to move.” I feel interviews shouldnt be conducted because things like this happen. They may look at you and think you’re too young, or just not like how you look. I think if they get to your log, you just have to submit your documents and thats all. One thing about the bond street interview that sticks with me is towards the end, the man interviewing me didnt let me finish dating my paperwork. He was rushing me and said “oh ill take care of it later” I’m thinking he just pushed my application to the side.
oh hunnnnny he tried the same **** with me so this way when they submit to HPD your file they don't get question on why a paper that was signed 3 months ago is just being turned in. I made him wait. He isn't allowed to date your signature for all those release verification papers.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:13 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,818 times
It's been proven and shown that the housing lotteries favor those in their 20's and very early 30s. They are actually quite discriminatory toward single people in their late 30's through pre-senior citizen status.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM

I guess it depends on the development because the way they acted with me was I was too young. Maybe they were thinking that I was going to try to sneak someone in or maybe go back to school due to my age. For ocean hill I was the youngest person in that waiting area. Bond street I only saw a lady with a baby in a stroller who looked young also.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joejoe1471 View Post
oh hunnnnny he tried the same **** with me so this way when they submit to HPD your file they don't get question on why a paper that was signed 3 months ago is just being turned in. I made him wait. He isn't allowed to date your signature for all those release verification papers.
I didnt even think of that. You are so right, it covers them with HPD. I was going to finish dating them and he basically pulled the papers away from me. Luckily in case of anything I will always remember my interview date because it was on my birthday.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:40 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,818 times
quote:
I guess it depends on the development because the way they acted with me was I was too young. Maybe they were thinking that I was going to try to sneak someone in or maybe go back to school due to my age. For ocean hill I was the youngest person in that waiting area. Bond street I only saw a lady with a baby in a stroller who looked young also.

I can totally see it working that way too. Fight what you think is right. An affordable housing unit early on in life is a major leg-up for people. Think of all those people who snagged all those cheap rent-stabalized units in the 70s-90s! Think about those that snagged rent controlled units in the 50s and 60s! they are still there, fighting tooth and nail, in their musty smelling never renovated in 40 years hovels. But it works for them! I'm totally jealous. Unless an affordable unit comes my way via lottery, I realize I have no chance living in this city much longer. Been living in the city proper for 18 years and prior to that was born in Jersey City and grew up in various apartments in Hudson County. New NYC doesn't like us much.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:09 PM

I’m lucky that my mom has one of those rent stabilized apartments that I can be grandfathered in. The lottery apartments have so many issues during the interview process and once you move in, so many restrictions you have to follow. Speaking of rent stabilized in the 50s and 60s, a patient of mine lives across the street from prospect park in a huge 3 bedroom apartment for $175 per month rent stabilized.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 AM

14 posts, read 15,083 times
Guys I got pre-approved

Old 12-12-2017, 09:06 AM

Congrats!!!

Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 AM

6,693 posts, read 6,047,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpower93jfd View Post
Guys I got pre-approved
Congratulations!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery