Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 10:15 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,002 times

Advertisements

Roach bait by bed. She better be happy there wasn’t a rat napping in her bed. What did she expect for $90?
I have never been inside projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 10:50 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,595,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Roach bait by bed. She better be happy there wasn’t a rat napping in her bed. What did she expect for $90?
I have never been inside projects.
I've stayed in actual hotels for less than that

Old 11-10-2019, 01:22 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
LOL, I love this for some reason. I am just imagining some tourist showing up to like, Brownsville, all happy to see NY and being disappointed.

Old 11-10-2019, 01:40 PM

325 posts, read 199,074 times
Airbnb’s is illegal in New York now anyway but they probly ain’t know .

Old 11-11-2019, 08:51 AM

1,486 posts, read 988,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
That's hilarious! Imagine the shock she had when she went inside
I cant see how she didnt google street view the location. I always do that when i do AirBB or rentals out of town

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Of course it shouldn't have to be said, but if I don't say it, ppl will think I see nothing wrong with it, so for the record, NYCHA tenants should not be advertising on AirBnB and AirBnB shouldn't have let the listing be posted.

But I would have liked to see the listing, these ppl couldn't tell it was a project apartment from the photos?
LMAO same. A few photos and i can instantly see it a project building. Maybe they hooked it up, ive been inside 2 project apartments that were like luxury apartments. laminate plank floors, stainless steel appliances with over the range microwave, they even repainted the cabinets. Parents moved out and left kids on the lease and they hooked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
Is it? A quick search on AirBB and there are tons of stays in Chelsea and rentals.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
I have a friend who rents out a lower level (like basement but has windows and access to garden) apartment in her building that she owns in Greenpoint. It is illegal, but she does it. She mentioned she doesn't get much for it - like $120 a night. It's a large unit with a couple of bedrooms, bathroom, full kitchen, private access to street and to garden. I was somewhat surprised but then I went on AirBnB to take a look for myself, and there are tons of nice looking rentals in Greenpoint in that price range. So that drives the price down apparently.

It may be illegal but it seems no one is really cracking down on it so it continues unabated.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:22 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I have a friend who rents out a lower level (like basement but has windows and access to garden) apartment in her building that she owns in Greenpoint. It is illegal, but she does it. She mentioned she doesn't get much for it - like $120 a night. It's a large unit with a couple of bedrooms, bathroom, full kitchen, private access to street and to garden. I was somewhat surprised but then I went on AirBnB to take a look for myself, and there are tons of nice looking rentals in Greenpoint in that price range. So that drives the price down apparently.

It may be illegal but it seems no one is really cracking down on it so it continues unabated.
What do you mean she doesn’t get much for it? How much is she supposed to charge for what you’re describing as an illegal basement set up? That’s crazy... Such arrangements are inflating hotel rooms.... Now the hotel rooms go for $200 easily a night, even the worst ones.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:57 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What do you mean she doesn’t get much for it? How much is she supposed to charge for what you’re describing as an illegal basement set up? That’s crazy... Such arrangements are inflating hotel rooms.... Now the hotel rooms go for $200 easily a night, even the worst ones.
I'm not condoning it at all. In fact I wish enforcement for AirBnB's would be more strict. It's not rocket science to figure out a way to shut them down. My point was if I had to guess how much I would have to pay for a large and nice Greenpoint apartment steps from the subway per night, I would think more than $120 a night.

It's illegal because all AirBnB's are illegal (at least when the whole apartment is being rented like this one). It's not illegal due to other stuff like not enough egress, etc.

I don't think AirBnB's are making the cost of hotels go up. If anything, this should make them go down due to competition.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/05...upancy/590485/
we crunched the data on New York City and found that total potential hotel revenue lost to Airbnb may have totaled $365 million in 2016 alone.

The impact on average room prices and occupancy rates was similar but smaller. Room prices fell 0.003 percent to 0.03 percent for every 1 percent increase in Airbnb supply, while hotel occupancy declined by 0.008 percent to 0.1 percent.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:02 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,285,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm not condoning it at all. In fact I wish enforcement for AirBnB's would be more strict. It's not rocket science to figure out a way to shut them down. My point was if I had to guess how much I would have to pay for a large and nice Greenpoint apartment steps from the subway per night, I would think more than $120 a night.

It's illegal because all AirBnB's are illegal (at least when the whole apartment is being rented like this one). It's not illegal due to other stuff like not enough egress, etc.

I don't think AirBnB's are making the cost of hotels go up. If anything, this should make them go down due to competition.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/05...upancy/590485/
we crunched the data on New York City and found that total potential hotel revenue lost to Airbnb may have totaled $365 million in 2016 alone.

The impact on average room prices and occupancy rates was similar but smaller. Room prices fell 0.003 percent to 0.03 percent for every 1 percent increase in Airbnb supply, while hotel occupancy declined by 0.008 percent to 0.1 percent.
The price is reasonable given what hotels cost. I used an Airbnb once here, and I believe for the night it was a little more than that. Only slightly less than a hotel. Now of course your friends has to split that $120, but still, that’s a good deal. The prices can also vary depending on the time you book it (weekday, weekend, etc.) just like a hotel. Even if she gets $60 per night, that’s still about $1800 a month, which isn’t bad at all.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,379 times
It is only legal if the owner is present playing host the last time I checked the laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery