Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 03:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
What exactly is going on with AirBnB over there in Europe? When will the court cases be concluded? Here in NYC if they somehow shut down AirBnB operators, something new will pop up, if it has not already. A lot of AirBnB places are probably really nice but some AirBnB hosts rent out un-safe living spaces.
Felons do not have leases in their own names, nor do illegal immigrants. They are either staying with people who allow them to stay for free (family) or paying in cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 08:09 AM

201 posts, read 85,613 times
NYC AirBnB is chock full of criminal activity: between the renters, hosts, and website. A quick search online from here in NYC shows hundreds of articles about all the ways crime seeps in. I could add more to the list.

This is pure speculation: I am really curious about some AirBnB hosts in NYC in that I think there exhists a government or city bridge for the hosts to become successful with it. In other words somebody is helping immigrants build rental empires.

Meanwhile, a government entity blocks USA citizens from buying housing to be AirBnB hosts, and blocking USA citizens from getting onto the housing ladder, in favor of immigrants. There is a picking and choosing behind the scenes: affirmative action or diversity and inclusion for blocking US citizens from being property owners.

It's all wild speculation but I believe some assistance programs exhist like that, operating behind the scenes to pass over US citizens in favor of immigrants but I have no hard evidence yet to support those claims.

Old 11-18-2019, 02:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,032,171 times
Quote:
NYC AirBnB is chock full of criminal activity: between the renters, hosts, and website. A quick search online from here in NYC shows hundreds of articles about all the ways crime seeps in. I could add more to the list.

This is pure speculation: I am really curious about some AirBnB hosts in NYC in that I think there exhists a government or city bridge for the hosts to become successful with it. In other words somebody is helping immigrants build rental empires.

Meanwhile, a government entity blocks USA citizens from buying housing to be AirBnB hosts, and blocking USA citizens from getting onto the housing ladder, in favor of immigrants. There is a picking and choosing behind the scenes: affirmative action or diversity and inclusion for blocking US citizens from being property owners.

It's all wild speculation but I believe some assistance programs exhist like that, operating behind the scenes to pass over US citizens in favor of immigrants but I have no hard evidence yet to support those claims.
So if you have no evidence why are you making these claims?

You might talk to immigrants as people and they can tell you different ways that they do the things that they do.

Some immigrants come with money. Yes, people all around the world have money. GASP, is this a difficult concept? LOL If someone has worked for years, and is known, they can get investors or people in the community or banks in the community to lend to them.

As for as crime goes, some businesses are fronts for organized crime. When people make lots of money from drugs or other forms of organized crime, in order to avoid getting busted they have to report LEGAL sources of income so they open up a business. A lot of businesses that are now legitimate started out as criminal operations.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 AM

1,486 posts, read 995,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Or maybe the host spent her own money to improve the apartment since her rent was so cheap and she was making money from air bnb. I know of someone who did just that. Her rent was less than $600 for a 2 bedroom. She painted, changed the bathroom vanity and kitchen cupboards. She more than recouped her expenses based on her savings in rent yearly.
The problem with this is that they are not supposed to do that as renters. Changing out cupboards and bathroom vanity is basically remodel and not considered a repair so when Housing does their yearly inspection and sees this it can cost them their lease if the person doing the inspection is a by the book person. A bottle of White Hennessy goes a long way when the person doing the inspection is a fellow islander

Old 11-19-2019, 11:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,306,735 times
Quote:

I am an immigrant who is also a citizen. We own two properties. Came from dirt poor backgrounds. Trust and believe no gov't entity gave us a penny. We did 2 jobs. Lived in the superhood. Saved the down payment. Bought a house. Sold that house. Bought two more with the equity. Looking to buy our fourth next year or so. Both properties have about $700k in equity conservatively. Using the equity as down payment on our fourth.

I just gave a crash course in real estate investing lol.

Hard work and strategizing has been our 'luck/gov't hand out'.

Figure out your goal and formulate a game plan. I spoke with a few mortgage brokers, surveyed the market, went to home buyers seminars( not that get rich quick one. The free ones given by non profits/the city),figured out the income needed. Formulated a plan and went full speed ahead in achieving it.

Last edited by LOVEROFNYC; 11-20-2019 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 07:24 PM

201 posts, read 85,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
I am an immigrant who is also a citizen. We own two properties. Came from dirt poor backgrounds. Trust and believe no gov't entity gave us a penny. We did 2 jobs. Lived in the superhood. Saved the down payment. Bought a house. Sold that house. Bought two more with the equity. Looking to buy our fourth next year or so. Both properties have about $700k in equity conservatively. Using the equity as down payment on our fourth.

I just gave a crash course in real estate investing lol.

Hard work and strategizing has been our 'luck/gov't hand out'.

Figure out your goal and formulate a game plan. I spoke with a few mortgage brokers, surveyed the market, went to home buyers seminars( not that get rich quick one. The free ones given by non profits/the city),figured out the income needed. Formulated a plan and went full speed ahead in achieving it.
And do you follow all laws with your AirBnB's? How are the basement rental arrangements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery