Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 06:50 AM

4,587 posts, read 2,597,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
Roach bait by bed. She better be happy there wasn’t a rat napping in her bed. What did she expect for $90?
I have never been inside projects.
Some projects have great apartments. I grew up in a duplex with a balcony
The area was bad otherwise my parents would have stayed. I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 07:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I have a friend who rents out a lower level (like basement but has windows and access to garden) apartment in her building that she owns in Greenpoint. It is illegal, but she does it. She mentioned she doesn't get much for it - like $120 a night. It's a large unit with a couple of bedrooms, bathroom, full kitchen, private access to street and to garden. I was somewhat surprised but then I went on AirBnB to take a look for myself, and there are tons of nice looking rentals in Greenpoint in that price range. So that drives the price down apparently.

It may be illegal but it seems no one is really cracking down on it so it continues unabated.
No one is yet cracking down because Airbnb is fighting NYC in court. However in European cities Airbnb is started to be severely curtailed.

If they really want to the EU can block people from accessing Airbnb, and as it is one cannot even sublet anything out Airbnb without a proper license and all sorts of government vetting (in Spain).

As for the NYCHA tenant, money earned via Airbnb has to be reported tax wise. So busted. They'll get evicted.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:24 AM

444 posts, read 387,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Of course it shouldn't have to be said, but if I don't say it, ppl will think I see nothing wrong with it, so for the record, NYCHA tenants should not be advertising on AirBnB and AirBnB shouldn't have let the listing be posted.

But I would have liked to see the listing, these ppl couldn't tell it was a project apartment from the photos?
Unless it is a building that is separate from the "normal" NYCHA buildings how do you not know you are walking into the Projects.

Google is your friend. I Google when I go to the Dr, for the first time. I like to look at all the surrounding streets.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
The woman who rented the NYCHA apartment said she grew up poor in the article

Boston has plenty of projects too, so I'm just saying, even if she aint grow up in one she had to know what one is

Maybe fake photos posted.

Boston does not have plenty of projects. It has about 70 public housing buildings (which do not have any specific or uniform building features that would identify them as public housing), providing housing for a total of less than 30,000 people, about half of which are low-income seniors. Also, these buildings are out of sight of regular Bostonians - central Boston, ie, Boston's equvalent of Manhattan (meaning Beacon Hill - Back Bay - South End area) has a total of exactly one public housing building, for low-income seniors. A person from Boston who has never seen a NYCHA building or apartment would have no way of recognizing it as public housing if she just saw photos of it.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 AM

444 posts, read 387,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Boston does not have plenty of projects. It has about 70 public housing buildings (which do not have any specific or uniform building features that would identify them as public housing), providing housing for a total of less than 30,000 people, about half of which are low-income seniors. Also, these buildings are out of sight of regular Bostonians - central Boston, ie, Boston's equvalent of Manhattan (meaning Beacon Hill - Back Bay - South End area) has a total of exactly one public housing building, for low-income seniors. A person from Boston who has never seen a NYCHA building or apartment would have no way of recognizing it as publuc housing if she just saw photos of it.
I would love to know what the exact address was..because if the Google search pulled up any info on Fulton Houses reading is fundamental. When I Google I look at EVERYTHING that pops up.

So no I'm not being quick to give a pass...sorry.

Old 11-12-2019, 12:30 PM

325 posts, read 199,074 times
I agree with the others I just know how a nycha apartment looks like from the inside , most people I know have very similar kitchen ( wall color , cabinets etc ) but I think it could have been fake photos probly

Old 11-13-2019, 07:53 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What do you mean she doesn’t get much for it? How much is she supposed to charge for what you’re describing as an illegal basement set up? That’s crazy... Such arrangements are inflating hotel rooms.... Now the hotel rooms go for $200 easily a night, even the worst ones.
What? Its the other way around. Airbnb's are bringing down hotel prices, since people have alternatives. That's why there is such a concentrated effort by the hotel lobby to ban airbnb outright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
As for the NYCHA tenant, money earned via Airbnb has to be reported tax wise. So busted. They'll get evicted.
It is very hard to get evicted from NYCHA, short of murdering somebody. There are plenty of felons, illegal aliens, or non-qualifying family members that are housed in NYCHA and they've been living there for years, even though technically they are not supposed to be there. NYCHA can't even do lead inspections in the apartments, you think they are organized enough to actually know what is going on in their units? The agency is a complete sh*tshow.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 PM

201 posts, read 85,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one is yet cracking down because Airbnb is fighting NYC in court. However in European cities Airbnb is started to be severely curtailed.
What exactly is going on with AirBnB over there in Europe? When will the court cases be concluded? Here in NYC if they somehow shut down AirBnB operators, something new will pop up, if it has not already. A lot of AirBnB places are probably really nice but some AirBnB hosts rent out un-safe living spaces.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:26 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan2queens View Post
I agree with the others I just know how a nycha apartment looks like from the inside , most people I know have very similar kitchen ( wall color , cabinets etc ) but I think it could have been fake photos probly
Or maybe the host spent her own money to improve the apartment since her rent was so cheap and she was making money from air bnb. I know of someone who did just that. Her rent was less than $600 for a 2 bedroom. She painted, changed the bathroom vanity and kitchen cupboards. She more than recouped her expenses based on her savings in rent yearly.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay443 View Post
What exactly is going on with AirBnB over there in Europe? When will the court cases be concluded? Here in NYC if they somehow shut down AirBnB operators, something new will pop up, if it has not already. A lot of AirBnB places are probably really nice but some AirBnB hosts rent out un-safe living spaces.
Many American news sites (if they don't comply to EU data rules) are BLOCKED in the EU entirely.

One has to have a license to list an Airbnb place in Spain, plus pay a host of other taxes.

Uber has been banned in Barcelona.

So in short if they shut down Airbnb operators, more do not pop up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery