Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,828 times

Advertisements

Any news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 PM

4 posts, read 5,228 times
Congratulations!

So, from the time of your first interview to the time you signed the lease, about how many months went by? The lease to my current place is almost up and I think it'd be unwise to sign a long term lease since I'm not sure if I'll get the apartment or not.

Also, some people are saying the studios offered to affordable housing tenants are small. What do you think?

Finally, I heard you can't sublet a low income apartment but you can sublet a middle income unit. I generally take a month long vacation each year so I'm curious as to how subleasing works (if you can sublet at all).

Thanks in advance! Congrats again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDoIt_521 View Post
Hello!

I've gone through the process and ended up with a studio! Yay! Thought I would come back here and share my experience-- hope it's helpful!
  • Applied in the Phase II lottery over a year ago
  • In November 2018 got an email to schedule my eligibility interview and the eligibility interview was scheduled about two weeks from the date I got the first email
  • They give you a list of documentation that you need to bring-- it can be overwhelming but just stay as organized as you can. It makes the process a bit smoother plus keeps you prepared and organized through out it all. (I had post-its, binder clips, originals and copies for everything lol)
  • At the eligibility interview, they confirm that you've provided all the necessary documents. They also confirm if anything has changed from your initial Lottery application. They will also walk you through how they compute your salary which determines if you're eligible and if so for what. I was eligible for studio and 1-br and specifically expressed preference for a 1-br.
  • The case worker then told me it can take up to 4 months for them to get to my log number (which was 1,8XX). Thankfully this was during the holiday season so it took my mind off of it.
  • Next correspondence was early January. They were getting ready to share my file with Management and needed for me to document any deposits made into my bank account in a specific time period. This was easy because it was really just Venmo's and Cash App deposits of people paying me back for something. If you think this would be hard for you to do, I would start on this sooner rather than later. My case worker said they needed this info in case they were ever audited.
  • Next correspondence was in mid-January. Case worker called me to say that they no longer had any 1 bedrooms available, and if I would be interested in a studio. I said yes, because it's just me and my goal was to move asap, so passing this up wasn't really an option. Once I told her that, she sent me two floorplans (X and L) for studios located on the 50th floor and above. She then called me again for me to confirm which studio I would want. L has a narrow long kitchen, longer living room, more windows facing South I believe, 2 closets but very small. X has more of a square layout, so IMO roomier, less windows and not floor to ceiling but they're also facing the river; also has two closets with one of them being a walk-in. I chose X and am very happy with that decision.
  • After that, I was contacted to schedule my Certification Interview asap. For this interview you need to bring the money order and copies of latest pay stubs and bank statements. I had to sign a few documents but at the end of it she basically said Congratulations. She told me, it would take about two weeks for the Management Office to review my file and approve or deny. (She mentioned if I were denied, that I had 14 days to appeal).
  • I found out within one week, and was scheduled to go to the orientation that Thursday.
  • There were two other women there for orientation, one had a studio on my same line, the other had a one bedroom.
  • They went through building policies, answered questions, and then took us up to view our respective apartments one by one.
  • I was not expecting the view from my apartment and I can not wait to be settled and catching all the sunsets
  • You technically have 24 hours to accept the apartment but I accepted right then and there and set my move-in/lease date.
  • From there I set a date to sign my lease, and now I'm just getting my things in order so I can move in a few weeks.

Think that just about covers everything-- hope this is helpful and feel free to ask questions!

Old 03-18-2019, 02:39 PM

132 posts, read 220,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwork718 View Post
thanks, what number were you first and what were you the 2nd time around?
At this point I don't remember that well - maybe 11th the first time and 6th the second time?

Old 03-20-2019, 07:44 AM

37 posts, read 58,060 times
Update from me: Just got another letter to view one studio last week. I am the 8th for studio according to the letter. It was a 3rm studio and it was great; not sure if I can get it tho (probably not since there are 7 applicants in front of me). Haven't received a phone call or a letter about the result yet. This is the third time I received a letter to view an the apartment. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-20-2019, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 8,178 times
Wow congrats Meow. I am surprised you only view one studio. Keep us updated you will prob see a lot more studios soon.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:52 AM

21 posts, read 26,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowmeow18 View Post
Update from me: Just got another letter to view one studio last week. I am the 8th for studio according to the letter. It was a 3rm studio and it was great; not sure if I can get it tho (probably not since there are 7 applicants in front of me). Haven't received a phone call or a letter about the result yet. This is the third time I received a letter to view an the apartment. Fingers crossed!
wow nice, did it have a balcony? what number were you the last time around?

GOODLUCK!

Old 03-20-2019, 10:43 AM

37 posts, read 58,060 times
Yes, it has a sunny balcony and a sleeping alcove. I was the 12th last time and the 20th the first time I received a letter.
Thanks and good luck to you as well

Old 03-20-2019, 03:06 PM

58 posts, read 109,716 times
Seems like its taking a while for the high log numbers... may need to send updated documents by the time they process us

Old 03-20-2019, 03:41 PM

69 posts, read 101,098 times
Hi
Yes, just in case, prepare yourself to submit updated documents. I was emailed yesterday and asked to submit 2018 tax returns, paystubs, W2's and a list of other documents specific to my case. This is stressful, but I guess necessary. So prepare yourself. My interview was in Jan, so it's been a little over 2 months. Still praying 🙏

Old 03-20-2019, 03:47 PM

58 posts, read 109,716 times
ooh interesting.. maybe they are collecting everyones latest 2018 tax returns to determine eligibility thats why its taking a little longer, I had already submitted mine during the interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery