Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 01:03 PM

576 posts, read 1,550,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredlet View Post
It's in the low 200s. Not sure how long a wait this will translate into, but will welcome any opinions.

I am obsessing over floorplans and google map views like it's my job. Also very curious about the pets question -- I've been holding up on replacing my late cat pending movement on my ML applications.
You shouldn't worry too much you can always have a pet as an emotional support animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 01:22 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,701,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredlet View Post
It's in the low 200s. Not sure how long a wait this will translate into, but will welcome any opinions.

I am obsessing over floorplans and google map views like it's my job. Also very curious about the pets question -- I've been holding up on replacing my late cat pending movement on my ML applications.
MLs are usually all cat friendly. I'm sorry for your loss

Old 09-29-2019, 02:03 PM

4 posts, read 3,552 times
do u have pics of the duplexes? how many rooms? and how many units?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:14 PM

20 posts, read 23,059 times
Thanks for replying!

My log # is 27*. I did see the stock purchase price before applying, but since the income range is $24K to $120K, I figured there would be some form of financing assistance available, as it is unrealistic to think someone making $24K would be able to come up with $36K.

I've only applied to regular affordable rentals before, so I wasn't quite sure what I was reading.

I doubt I'll ever make over the limit, so that shouldn't be a problem for me. Based on the floor plans I've seen for this development, I can't see why anyone would turn down an apartment unless money was the issue.

Thanks for the info! I'll return this application and then go about trying to save for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Congratulations! You entered the world of NYC affordable housing with a bang, lol--Cadman Towers is one of the most popular developments that people would KILL to get into.

You fill out the paperwork that they send back to you. Then, you attach whatever payment method they require such as certified check or money order, etc. and put it together in an envelope with the application you fill out. Some developments will allow you to send back your own envelope while others provide their own for you.

It must be post-dated before the address deadline they give you.

Then, you will most likely receive a letter of confirmation back from them but if you don't, MAKE SURE you make copies of the letter they give you with your log number plus your copies of your filled out application and money order, and receipt of mailing as well just in case (that's what I always do). Then I just file it and put it in my little cabinet.

Once you are on the list you can check the status of what number they're up to by going to Mitchell Lama Connect. On the right hand side of the screen there are a few links. Click the one to see what numbers each development is up to. On that list, you'll see Cadman Towers.

In the meantime start saving up money for your down payment and make sure all your tax returns are in order. And then just wait. On the ML Connect website you can also see how much you need to purchase the apartment for but--and I am wagging my finger at you!--you should have already taken note of this when you applied as it's literally right there in black and white. You also should have seen that it is a purchase and not a rental option. Next time, make note of this and only apply to developments you can afford as for coops you do have to pay up front.

When you are called, you'll most likely only be allowed to see two apartments and if you pass on the second one you're either kicked off the list entirely or put on the bottom. There are established Mitchell Lama rules for this but each development puts them into practice differently, so... don't refuse the second apartment you're offered! You put up the money, pay for the apartment, and are given the keys. Each year you must compile an Income Affidavit where you tell the development how much money you made. If you make over their limit you don't get kicked out but are charged a surcharge of up to 50% of your carrying charges, no more than that.

If you want someone to eventually take over the apartment from you they must be a family member and on the income affidavit for at least two years prior to you giving them the apartment/your passing away. I was born and raised in a ML and still live in one (Electchester in Queens) so I am happy to answer any questions! Welcome to one of NY's best kept secrets and our last bastion of TRULY affordable housing.

P.S. - What's your log number?

Old 09-29-2019, 04:59 PM

21 posts, read 26,937 times
i got my first letter in dec 2018 and got my apt after 3 letters in sept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Hi All,

I was just wondering how many letters you received before you actually got an apartment. Also, how much time passed between letters? I’ve received 2 letters and looked at 2 apartments the first time and 4 the next. The last letter was postmarked July 3rd and I got it that Friday, July 5th. So it’s been almost 3 months.

I know it depends on actually having available apartments to look at, but I’m curious to see how long anyone who has already moved in had to wait.

Thanks!

Hkcg

Old 09-29-2019, 08:23 PM

77 posts, read 52,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwague View Post
I got called with number in the 6,000s I have CB preference. Went to interview but I need more updates paystubs because it was from before I went on vacation which sucks because the lady helping me was ready to send my files
Don’t worry you will get in I pray we all are getting apartments in Jesus name I pray 🥰❤️

Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 PM

43 posts, read 26,665 times
I hope so too. It would be such a big help in this expensive city.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:11 AM

233 posts, read 404,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwork718 View Post
i got my first letter in dec 2018 and got my apt after 3 letters in sept.
Thanks, nycwork718! I hope you're enjoying the new apartment!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:49 AM

174 posts, read 312,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashanti720 View Post
Yeah I’m in cb preference & also municipal employee I’m 80% for 1 bedroom & studio and also studio for 100% but I just want a 1 bedroom but maybe the highlight is good cause maybe that’s what they will offer you I didn’t get mines highlighted.. when is your interview ?
Where about's are you log wise? I scheduled my interview for later this week - they have to go in order of log preference so it doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. I do know that mobility disability has highest preference, followed by CB preference (2) and then municipal employee (3) and then General Public (4) so I may be in a difference set aside.

It would honestly have to be pretty nice for me to make the change just because moving sucks but I think that the fact that they contacted me means they haven't fulfilled their mobility disability preference yet because I definitely do not have CB preference and I am not a municipal employee. But being invited is a good thing - even a studio in NYC for that amount even if its small is worth it as far as I'm concerned, I just currently have a nice (albeit small) studio and I could use some more room (I don't even have a place to store my wheelchair).

Old 09-30-2019, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,321 times
email address : MAMOBABY521@GMAIL.COM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery