Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 05:37 PM

515 posts, read 530,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Just my 2 cents. I was told by HPD that you are randomly given a number then they call you for interviews in order IF you qualify. HOWEVER, in my experience I noticed that they do randomly call people and do not call them in order. I have had a low number and have been called in the 2nd or 3rd batch of people for an interview when, if they went in order I should have been called in the first. Personally I do not think it is very clear how they proceed and every management company does it how they want to.

Did you have preference? If you didn’t thats why you weren’t called first. But being called in and being processed in the lottery are also two different things. But what HPD told you is what is trying to be explained to lottery hopeful and s/he is just not getting it.

Here’s a short video that explains the process.

In the video it states if you log number is “reached” not if your log number is “randomly selected”

https://youtu.be/F0Dht0LhP7c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 05:46 PM

494 posts, read 561,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimilove View Post
Did you have preference? If you didn’t thats why you weren’t called first. But being called in and being processed in the lottery are also two different things. But what HPD told you is what is trying to be explained to lottery hopeful and s/he is just not getting it.

Here’s a short video that explains the process.

https://youtu.be/F0Dht0LhP7c

Yes I had CB preference. I guess I should have been more clear. I knew other people with CB preference with higher numbers (for example I was 1xxx and they were 12xxx) that were called months before I was for an interview. So I can understand why the process is confusing for some people.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Yes I had CB preference. I guess I should have been more clear. I knew other people with CB preference with higher numbers (for example I was 1xxx and they were 12xxx) that were called months before I was for an interview. So I can understand why the process is confusing for some people.
It could be that the person in charge of the 12xxx worked faster than the one in charge of your lower log, it could be they messed up and then caught their mistakes later on or it could be that 12xxx had additional presences like disability and CB. Remember first it’s disability preference then CBs. It could a bunch of different things. The important question would be was 12xxx offered an apartment and you weren’t.

However I am aware because I’ve been through the process multiple times that a lot of the market agents are complete idiots cause I’ve gone in there and pointed things out that they didn’t know lol and they work there.

But has no one in these lottery threads ever notice that very few people are logs 1-10 I have yet to see one except for someone in this thread come on here with a log below 10 saying well I hope I’m randomly selected.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottery_hopeful View Post

No one answered that question yet
This tickles me
Lol girl/guy the answer has been given to you. YOU refuse to accept the answer and the facts given to support that answer.

Here it is again!

People apply to the lottery. Now the computer is going to take all of the applications and shuffle them. Now the computer is going to give you a RANDOM number (your log number) which means the computer randomly choose you to be processed as number 1! In the lottery if you qualify.

My 8 year old has better reading comprehension than you.

You keep adding an additional step that is stated absolutely nowhere in the marketing handbook and that is the Bible for this process.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:18 PM

77 posts, read 52,128 times
Anybody hear anything new

Old 10-31-2019, 06:45 PM

14 posts, read 19,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman112 View Post
Are people living in this building? I walked by the other day, it looks like the entrance and landscaping isn't done- it's still concrete and gravel.
It’s funny that you say this cause it was like that the last time I walked past the place as well but this was back in August!

Old 10-31-2019, 08:13 PM

24 posts, read 29,047 times
Yall are arguing over something so simple. All applications are randomly selected and receive a log number. I'm not going back and forth as to why 1 may not may not receive a log number.

In my case, I've had about 3 where i did not but there were all issues with the buildings. In one case taking over 3 years for a follow up.

After you receive a log number. You are then randomly selected to bring in ur documents. As having been in this predicament about 5 times with varying log numbers from high to low it appears to be an easy way to weed through applicants.

If one's income changes, if someone is no longer eligible in the hh, bam they notify you and get the chance to appeal. At the same time they're following up with preferenced folks. In my case I've lost apts after being interviewed and being eligible because of someone with a higher log but CB preference and in one instance i changed jobs and my income was over the limit. I tried it that time tho, lol.

Its an operational process and it doesn't make sense to us but this is apparently why they're constantly asking for updated documents and you're waiting weeks or months.

Add into all of that the fact of CB pref, number of available units in ur income range (AMI), and if there's a unit for ur family size available once they double or even triple back to ur log number... some folks on this thread have submitted docs 2 - 3x and are still wtg.

It's frustrating as hell for everyone involved ... just keep up with ur number and pay attention to the boards.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovejones08 View Post
Yall are arguing over something so simple. All applications are randomly selected and receive a log number.
It's frustrating as hell for everyone involved ... just keep up with ur number and pay attention to the boards.
3x could still have 1-3x ahead of them not including preference there are multiple variables as to why the process takes long, that is not what is being discussed right now.

What is being discussed here and asking of lottery hopeful Is to show where in the marketing handbook does it state that after log numbers are assigned log numbers are then picked at random and then processed in numerical order. Like I said find me someone with a log number 1 in this forum that has never been called to be processed even though they qualified.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:54 PM

21 posts, read 29,175 times
Does anyone know how I can find out what the maximum income allowed for my apartment, before the surcharge kicks in? Should I try to talk to Carmen? Also, is it your federal adjusted gross income they're looking at? Thanks!

Old 10-31-2019, 09:38 PM

24 posts, read 29,047 times
Update... about 3 weeks back was told by HPD they had a few more cb preferences to work through. Guessing there were some issues because we submitted updated docs last week. Being told by mgt now they're still working on cb preference.

... at least we're still in the running to becoming residents at 1530 story avenue...

*grabs air and heads back in line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery