Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 09:25 PM

483 posts, read 691,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You should be eliminated, the rules stated you could only send in one postcard period!

Count your blessings you weren't disqualified cause many many people followed the rules and applied accordingly and really want/need that studio!
It most certainly did not. It said you would only be chosen for one. You were absolutely allowed to increase your chances by trying to get a lottery spot in any household size list for which you qualified.

Quote:
Q: Can I submit a postcard for more than one apartment size?

A: Only one request per household may be submitted to each lottery. Any person who sends multiple postcards will be rejected and will receive NO application.
It is permitted for a household to submit a postcard for more than one lottery if their household composition fits both apartment sizes. For example, a single person or a couple may submit one postcard to the studio apartment lottery, and also one postcard to the one-bedroom apartment lottery.

If, by chance, a postcard for the same household is drawn in both lotteries, they must withdraw from one of the lists. It is only permitted to be on one of Penn South's waiting lists.
https://www.pennsouth.coop/ExternalW...tFAQ.V1.12.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 10:00 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
It most certainly did not. It said you would only be chosen for one. You were absolutely allowed to increase your chances by trying to get a lottery spot in any household size list for which you qualified.

https://www.pennsouth.coop/ExternalW...tFAQ.V1.12.php
Opp's my apoligies

Old 12-31-2015, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,604 times
Hello everyone... Does anyone know if we can finance 50 % or 75 % ?? I got a letter today to go see 1 bedroom apt. Has anyone gone through the the closing process lately. Thanks

Old 01-01-2016, 08:55 AM

128 posts, read 227,502 times
I only know from what I've read on here and that is they are allowing 75% financing now. Hopefully, this is valid information. Congrats on getting your letter, May I ask what your wait list number is?

Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 6,604 times
Thanks! I really hope that's correct.. Putting 50 % down will be hard for me... Last time I checked, which was last month, I was number 343. So I'm shocked I recived a notice.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM

64 posts, read 176,772 times
They haven't updated their wait list yet. Hopefully an update should be coming soon. They've done a pretty decent job at updating the list and keeping us in the loop with their automated system. I know some people on lists for other buildings and when they call management they are given no info at all.

How important is having the physical letter? There is a chance I misplaced mine. But - I have my application number and a picture of the letter that I took, I just don't know where the physical letter is. They obviously have my info on file, accepted my application, cashed my check, gave me a waiting list number, etc... I hear about people in the 300s on the studio list getting called, I'm very worried about getting there and not having everything I'd need to come in. I'm in the 400s on the studio list. The last update they have I didn't move too much ahead, but still moved which is good.

Why are people in the 300s on the studio list already getting called? I know some people back out or put applications on hold, but that many people??

Old 01-04-2016, 06:29 AM

483 posts, read 691,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting4chelsea2 View Post
Why are people in the 300s on the studio list already getting called? I know some people back out or put applications on hold, but that many people??
my theory is that it's because #343 (and upwards), never are nor were #343 in reality, as I was started somewhere around there on the 1-bedroom list, and called less than a year after I was accepted onto the waitlist. I believe they are people standing on a bedrock of the prior waitlisted deceased, moved-and-we-can't-find-them, etc.. Thus, the person placed at 344 on the studio waiting list now, would in fact be Person #2.

I also question whether the main office actually retraces their steps over and over through said lower numbered people every time, or if the wait time now is primarily an effect of apartment availability starting over "midlist" every time.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:14 PM

31 posts, read 58,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer0775 View Post
Thanks! I really hope that's correct.. Putting 50 % down will be hard for me... Last time I checked, which was last month, I was number 343. So I'm shocked I recived a notice.
Yes, I can verify that it is indeed correct as of July 2015. I only put 25% down and their credit union financed me for the other 75%.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:30 PM

430 posts, read 506,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justchris82 View Post
Yes, I can verify that it is indeed correct as of July 2015. I only put 25% down and their credit union financed me for the other 75%.
choice of 5 or 10 year mortgages as others have mentioned?

Old 01-04-2016, 03:33 PM

64 posts, read 176,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
my theory is that it's because #343 (and upwards), never are nor were #343 in reality, as I was started somewhere around there on the 1-bedroom list, and called less than a year after I was accepted onto the waitlist. I believe they are people standing on a bedrock of the prior waitlisted deceased, moved-and-we-can't-find-them, etc.. Thus, the person placed at 344 on the studio waiting list now, would in fact be Person #2.

I also question whether the main office actually retraces their steps over and over through said lower numbered people every time, or if the wait time now is primarily an effect of apartment availability starting over "midlist" every time.
Oh, that makes sense. I'm so paranoid that I am going to miss a letter of call from them lol. My address and household composition recently changed, so I need to call them and let them know. It isn't anything that would affect my eligibility for the apartment, but I'm worried if I make changes to my household or current address or anything, it'll knock my place off the waiting list. I'm in the low 400s on the studio list. Curious to see what I'll be after the next update, which should hopefully be soon. The office people there seem really nice and helpful and the fact they have the automated list and are maintaining it is great. A lot of management companies, especially ones that take on ML or similar buildings, are horrible to deal with. Penn South's management seems great

What list were you on, the 2014 1 bedroom list? and you're moved in? I haven't read this whole thread, there are tons of posts. but I remember someone on here getting called in after less than a year... that was you? Did anyone from management come to your previous home and take pictures and interview you there? I heard they used to do this, I'm wondering if they still do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery