Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2021, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 8,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
Hey all, this might seem like a silly question, but I'm genuinely unsure:

Say I get contacted and offered an apartment, but my lease at my current home isn't up yet. Is there a grace period in which I'm allowed some time before actually moving in/paying for a Penn South studio? I imagine not, but it would seem a significant financial burden if I'd have to finance an apartment at Penn South while continuing paying rent for another apartment outside the co-op.

It's too bad it's difficult to better arrange current living situations without having any estimate as to when I'll be called and offered an apartment. But I hope someone can shed some insight on this. Thnx in advance!
You are given 3 months from the time you close to make it your "primary residence". However, you still have to pay the "Carrying Charges" for the 3 months
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2021, 06:58 AM

233 posts, read 403,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pschelsea11 View Post
Thanks! Just want to put tiles or planks since the kitchen floor is barebone. Nothing special or customized. I know the office is open 24/7 because of the security office is in there as well. But can I can post during the weekends or after office hours? Just haven't been able to snoop around yet during regular work hours
The bulletin board is right next to the security desk, so all I did was ask the person sitting there if I could post something and of course she said yes. I did it during the day, so it was probably during regular 9-5 hours, but you could probably post it during off hours because it takes about 2 seconds.

I think that you'll find that everyone here is usually very pleasant and accommodating. Of course there are a few resident curmudgeons, but hey - that's anywhere!

Have you attended the welcome and information session yet? Mine was on Zoom - I moved in about 4 months before Covid lockdown. They answer a lot of questions - very helpful.

As far as the floor goes, I was lucky and my kitchen floor was already in. It's not exactly what I would have chosen, but it looks like fine. The only place the floor was missing was where the stove and refrigerator are placed. I just got some from Home Depot and stuck them on. So far so good.

Old 12-22-2021, 08:03 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Hello, pschelsea11, and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new apartment! Since I am assisting my daughter, who is on the one-bedroom list, I am wondering, what size apartment did you get? And what was your approximate log number on the "actives only" list? I assume you were on the 2019 list. Thanks for any info!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 12-22-2021 at 08:25 AM..

Old 12-22-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Hello, pschelsea11, and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new apartment! Since I am assisting my daughter, who is on the one-bedroom list, I am wondering, what size apartment did you get? And what was your approximate log number on the "actives only" list? I assume you were on the 2019 list. Thanks for any info!
I got a 1 bedroom, and at the end of the 2014 list. I was "on hold" for a little bit, though

Old 12-22-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
The bulletin board is right next to the security desk, so all I did was ask the person sitting there if I could post something and of course she said yes. I did it during the day, so it was probably during regular 9-5 hours, but you could probably post it during off hours because it takes about 2 seconds.

I think that you'll find that everyone here is usually very pleasant and accommodating. Of course there are a few resident curmudgeons, but hey - that's anywhere!

Have you attended the welcome and information session yet? Mine was on Zoom - I moved in about 4 months before Covid lockdown. They answer a lot of questions - very helpful.

As far as the floor goes, I was lucky and my kitchen floor was already in. It's not exactly what I would have chosen, but it looks like fine. The only place the floor was missing was where the stove and refrigerator are placed. I just got some from Home Depot and stuck them on. So far so good.
Thanks. Interesting... all this welcome information and info comes from the Resident Portal or email? Because I was trying to register, but I'm not in the system yet.

Lucky you! Did you get your stove and refrigerator from big retailer? I was told you need an insurance certificate, which i assume most small local appliance stores usually don't have?

Old 12-22-2021, 10:58 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Quote:
I got a 1 bedroom, and at the end of the 2014 list. I was "on hold" for a little bit, though
Congrats! Which apartment line did you pick? Did you have several to choose from? Were you partial to any particular location within Penn South?

Old 12-24-2021, 09:56 AM

233 posts, read 403,041 times
Quote:
Thanks. Interesting... all this welcome information and info comes from the Resident Portal or email? Because I was trying to register, but I'm not in the system yet.

Lucky you! Did you get your stove and refrigerator from big retailer? I was told you need an insurance certificate, which i assume most small local appliance stores usually don't have?
They sent me an email for a Zoom meeting for the information session, so you don't have to worry about accessing the portal.

I bought my stove and refrigerator from PC Richard on 23rd. They provide a form with the COI (Certificate of Insurance), which all retailers of large appliances have, no matter the size of the store. Deliveries of large items won't get through the door of any Co-op in NYC without one. You also have to put a $500 deposit down for the delivery. I moved and had my appliances delivered within a 7 day period, so the $500 covered both. Then they reimburse you within about a month. Also, if you plan to buy new (large) furniture, I would have it delivered in the same time frame. I think the only thing they don't require a COI or elevator padding for is a mattress, but you should check with the office. You can also carry a chair or bookcase or something with out getting the elevator padding.

Good luck with the move and deliveries!

Old 12-29-2021, 04:11 AM

30 posts, read 59,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye212 View Post
Hi all -- sorry to resurrect what is probably an old question, but does anyone know the formula they use for surcharges on someone who has an income over the maximum?
Hi — re-upping this question. Anyone know?

Old 01-08-2022, 10:43 PM

30 posts, read 59,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
There's no waiting list for the gym. It costs $160/year for the first member of a household and $130/year for subsequent members (or maybe just the second member, not sure about how it works for more than two people). There's also a Planet Fitness nearby that charges $10/mo, last time I checked.
Does the gym allow you to bring a friend or personal trainer in to work out with?

Old 01-12-2022, 03:54 PM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye212 View Post
Hi — re-upping this question. Anyone know?
Surcharge calculations are based on calendar year income and carrying charge. If actual income exceeds allowable income by over five percent, a five percent surcharge is imposed. Surcharges increase in five percent increments up to 100 percent for cooperators who moved into the development prior to July 1987, and up to 200 percent for those who moved in during or after July 1987.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery