Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2022, 10:30 AM

19 posts, read 23,353 times

Advertisements

From 2014 2 bedroom list. Moving down in number and will be viewing a few apartments. My daughter is 22 and is in graduate school. She will be living with me while home on breaks, summers, etc. What is the cut-off age for children? Thought we would have been able to get something sooner than 8 years.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 11:36 AM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times
Congrats! It's nice you posted, since several people here are on the two-bedroom list, and there hasn't been much "intel"!

Have fun viewing apartments!

What do you mean by age cut-off? If you want her to be a member of your household and live with you, to my knowledge that is up to you. Her income will be included, however.

PS has a lot of rules. So if your daughter will be considered a full co-operator or merely an occupant, I can't say. But she can live with you.

Is she in graduate school out of state?

Old 06-28-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Congrats! It's nice you posted, since several people here are on the two-bedroom list, and there hasn't been much "intel"!

Have fun viewing apartments!

What do you mean by age cut-off? If you want her to be a member of your household and live with you, to my knowledge that is up to you. Her income will be included, however.

PS has a lot of rules. So if your daughter will be considered a full co-operator or merely an occupant, I can't say. But she can live with you.

Is she in graduate school out of state?
Thanks macnyc2003.
Since it's a 2 bedroom must be single parent and child. Was wondering if the child reaches a certain age (like health insurance coverage) they are considered too old to be considered a child. I stopped my the office today and was told no cut-off as long as this is her primary residence, which it will be. Out of state grad school.

Old 06-28-2022, 06:54 PM

106 posts, read 178,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny14 View Post
From 2014 2 bedroom list. Moving down in number and will be viewing a few apartments. My daughter is 22 and is in graduate school. She will be living with me while home on breaks, summers, etc. What is the cut-off age for children? Thought we would have been able to get something sooner than 8 years.

Thanks in advance!
That’s exciting, mkny14! I hope you are offered an apartment you love in this round. May I ask, approximately what number are you on the active list? It’s kind of bewildering to me that #1 on the active list is from 1989. Thank you.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 9,476 times
I just went through my second round of apartments off the one bedroom list. My choice number was still very high so I'm guessing I'll be going into a third round in the future. Good Luck to everyone in this go-around of viewings.

Old 06-29-2022, 12:01 PM

Based on your experience, ATK727, I'm thinking that applicants seeing apartments now are maybe more serious about Penn South than they might have been previously.

My daughter was No. 16 to see seven apartments, and she was offered one. So that means quite a few people ahead of her didn't respond to the letter or else opted to drop out, which was puzzling to me.

Perhaps now, with a recession looming and rents sky-high in NYC (plus market-rate lease renewals that are off the charts), maybe people are rethinking the value of getting into PS and weighing the offer more carefully.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-29-2022 at 12:33 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynMary View Post
That’s exciting, mkny14! I hope you are offered an apartment you love in this round. May I ask, approximately what number are you on the active list? It’s kind of bewildering to me that #1 on the active list is from 1989. Thank you.
I hear you BklynMary!
I was wondering the same thing. The first 15 on the active list are from 2003 or earlier. As for 2014- I'm 5th. Thr notice said I was the 11th viewing- assume that includes internal. Saw a J line yesterday- tenants still there- small layout but has balcony which I really want. The kitchen is not what I would want- would need to be gutted. They've been there 28-30 years. Really don't want to take on kitchen renovation $$ wise.
Have another J line to see Friday.

This is my third round.

Old 06-29-2022, 05:18 PM

106 posts, read 178,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkny14 View Post
I hear you BklynMary!
I was wondering the same thing. The first 15 on the active list are from 2003 or earlier. As for 2014- I'm 5th. Thr notice said I was the 11th viewing- assume that includes internal. Saw a J line yesterday- tenants still there- small layout but has balcony which I really want. The kitchen is not what I would want- would need to be gutted. They've been there 28-30 years. Really don't want to take on kitchen renovation $$ wise.
Have another J line to see Friday.

This is my third round.
Thank you for the info, mkny14! I’m about 180 people behind you. I really hope you get one of those J apartments! Let us know what happens. I like the J and the B line too (on paper), also because of the balcony. If you have to do the kitchen over, at least you can make it the way you want. Check out Ikea for that. BEST of luck to you!

Old 06-29-2022, 06:01 PM

From what I have seen, the apartment will be restored before you buy it. Of course, you have to purchase your own appliances anyway. But some of the new cabinets looked fine to me. I’ve attached a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Penn South 2019-45fdeba5-a010-4e5e-ad28-dd1705e8fefc.jpeg  

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-29-2022 at 07:03 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
From what I have seen, the apartment will be restored before you buy it. Of course, you have to buy your own appliances anyway. But some of the new cabinets looked fine to me. I’ve attached a photo.
That would be terrific! I'll stop by the office after seeing the second apt on Friday and circle back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery