Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2023, 10:51 AM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
Probably only the insiders know the number of actual lottery applicants. But my guess, based on Housing Connect lotteries, is somewhere between 25,000 and 50,000 people enter the lottery for the 1,000 spots. Truly a lottery.
2-4% chance ..ouch..Must you be such a Debbie Downer?! Just kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2023, 10:57 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
I entered in 2014 and 2019 and wasn’t selected. On the other hand, my daughter entered those same years but made it on to the list in 2019. She and her husband have been happy Penn South residents for over a year. I’m trying again, and I’m driving her crazy saying that I’m going to win and request an apartment on her floor! (No, you cannot request a certain location.) Fingers crossed!

My philosophy is, SOMEONE has to win! It might as well be us.

If you want info about the new lottery, I started a thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...it-list-2.html

Old 09-17-2023, 11:01 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I entered in 2014 and 2019 and wasn’t selected. On the other hand, my daughter entered those same years but made it on to the list in 2019. She and her husband have been happy Penn South residents for over a year. I’m trying again, and I’m driving her crazy saying that I’m going to win and request an apartment on her floor! (No, you cannot request a certain location.) Fingers crossed!

I agree 1,000% Always enter, no matter the odds. You just never know!

Old 09-17-2023, 03:35 PM

22 posts, read 28,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

You will be chosen and you will get into her building. Just not sure if will be the same floor.

Old 09-18-2023, 09:38 PM

59 posts, read 56,472 times
Thanks for starting the new thread, macnyc2003.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:14 AM

154 posts, read 286,970 times
Hello all! Does anyone know if there is an age requirement for the PS lottery? Can my college student nephew enter? Can my high school student niece enter??

I saw my first 2-bedroom apartment with a terrace on Monday, on the D line. It was a little smaller than the other 2-bedrooms I've seen and had a view of PS's beautiful parking lot LOL. The terrace wasn't one of the big ones but it sure was lovely nonetheless.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:23 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Hello all! Does anyone know if there is an age requirement for the PS lottery? Can my college student nephew enter? Can my high school student niece enter??

I saw my first 2-bedroom apartment with a terrace on Monday, on the D line. It was a little smaller than the other 2-bedrooms I've seen and had a view of PS's beautiful parking lot LOL. The terrace wasn't one of the big ones but it sure was lovely nonetheless.
If your niece and nephew are 18 and have NY addresses, then there's no reason they cannot sign up. The profile section doesn't ask for age (but you must be at least 18), only the last four of your social security and your NY address.

As you know, this process takes YEARS. Sign them up!

Edited to correct mistakes pointed out by macnyc2003 - thanks

Last edited by BPC1999; 09-22-2023 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-22-2023, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post

Applicants have to be at least 18 to enter. Plus, they need to be residents of New York State, not New York City.

I started a thread for the new lottery:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...it-list-3.html

I'm glad you saw a two-bedroom that you liked! My daughter saw a one-bedroom, I think it was a C, on very low floor, with a direct and unavoidable view of the parking lot. She wasn't offered it, but she would have taken it.

Will you accept the apartment if offered?

Old 09-22-2023, 06:51 AM

59 posts, read 65,718 times
Does anyone know what is happening with the 1 bedroom waitlist? My active waitlist number is 5x and I still haven't been contacted for any viewings...

Old 09-22-2023, 07:14 AM

That is weird. My daughter was chosen to view one-bedrooms when she was about 120 on the actives-only list.

The only thing I can think of is perhaps so many people have been purged from the list that now you have to get closer to No. 1? When my daughter was called, there were still people from 1976 on there, no joke. I know PS has been actively getting people off the list who are no longer interested.

Perhaps someone near to you on the list will post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery