Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 09:21 PM

41 posts, read 56,851 times

Advertisements

Reply to: Macnyc2003

Yeah, definitely a place with a larger kitchen. Some one-bedroom lines are “eat-in,” which is what I want. I live in a D-Line studio which has a large kitchen. This apartment allows one to use the dining area as a very small bedroom, and has a door for this purpose. So, there are two doorways in these kitchens. I didn’t do this. I like having more kitchen space. I bought a queen sized Murphy bed for the foyer, one that enables you to sleep parallel to the wall. I have no preference for single vs double-core buildings, but some people do. Most apartments have good views, even from lower floors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 07:26 AM

233 posts, read 403,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaRez View Post
Hi! I’m in a studio now, and yes, you are able to be very specific about the line, building, floor, etc. The less specific you are, will most likely get you an apartment faster though. I know what I want, so it’s worth the wait.
Hi ChelseaRez,

I'm also interested in a 1 bedroom, but I've got about a year and a half to go before I can even get on the list. Were you able to pick as many apartment buildings, lines, floors as you wanted in a 1 bedroom layout? I'm really curious about the whole process.

My neighbor is moving from a 1 bedroom to a 2 in the same building, and he said that he had 3 months to move, but he would be paying both maintenances during that time period.

Any details would be appreciated!

hkcg

Old 04-26-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I think you’re right about the lists. Some people do hold out for those apartments on the 19th floor with huge terraces. The two floors above them have the same layouts, but have balconies which are also large. I’ve never been in one of those apartments, but according to the floor plans on the PennSouth site, it seems that you give up storage space for the larger outdoor spaces. Just a matter of preference. Those apartments also have great views, I imagine! The bottom line is that if one is on a waiting list, they will eventually be offered apartments. You have to live in your first apartment for three years before you can submit an application for an internal transfer. Waiting time varies after that, depending on what you request, of course.
I saw a 1 bedroom on the 19th floor when I was looking at studios. The couple who had the studio - a smaller E line on the 21st floor - were moving to the 1 bedroom on 19 and she asked me if I wanted to see it.

It was amazing! The terrace is huge, but I seem to recall that they were very specific about what they wanted in a 1 bedroom and waited longer than usual by choice.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Hi ChelseaRez,

I'm also interested in a 1 bedroom, but I've got about a year and a half to go before I can even get on the list. Were you able to pick as many apartment buildings, lines, floors as you wanted in a 1 bedroom layout? I'm really curious about the whole process.

My neighbor is moving from a 1 bedroom to a 2 in the same building, and he said that he had 3 months to move, but he would be paying both maintenances during that time period.

Any details would be appreciated!

hkcg
Hi hkcg. Yes, the form allows you to select whatever buildings you are interested in, and what range of floors, and specific lines. You pretty much write down what you want. They encourage you to be specific, which makes sense for all concerned. It saves time and energy. You check off what apartment type (# rooms)you are seeking; indicate balcony choice(y, n, whatever); Building #(I wrote in A or B in double core buildings where I had a preference). The form is straight forward. You can see your place on the list once they input your information. The form is officially called “Request for Apartment Change.” They also ask for the names of all who will live in the apartment. I believe they can charge you for maintenance on both places for up to 3 months, unless it’s sold before that. This also gives you time to have work done on the new place.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:28 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
Quote:
Reply to: Macnyc2003

Yeah, definitely a place with a larger kitchen. Some one-bedroom lines are “eat-in,” which is what I want. I live in a D-Line studio which has a large kitchen. This apartment allows one to use the dining area as a very small bedroom, and has a door for this purpose. So, there are two doorways in these kitchens. I didn’t do this. I like having more kitchen space. I bought a queen sized Murphy bed for the foyer, one that enables you to sleep parallel to the wall. I have no preference for single vs double-core buildings, but some people do. Most apartments have good views, even from lower floors.
Wait, you can essentially have a bedroom in the kitchen?

I don't know about that. LOL

Old 04-27-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Wait, you can essentially have a bedroom in the kitchen?

I don't know about that. LOL
Yeah, seems like strange bedfellows, but if a well constructed wall is built between the area where the cabinets and appliances are, then you have a “(very) junior one-bedroom” on the window side of the kitchen. This normally where one might have a table. This is only in the D-line studios in a single core building.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Hi hkcg. Yes, the form allows you to select whatever buildings you are interested in, and what range of floors, and specific lines. You pretty much write down what you want. They encourage you to be specific, which makes sense for all concerned. It saves time and energy. You check off what apartment type (# rooms)you are seeking; indicate balcony choice(y, n, whatever); Building #(I wrote in A or B in double core buildings where I had a preference). The form is straight forward. You can see your place on the list once they input your information. The form is officially called “Request for Apartment Change.” They also ask for the names of all who will live in the apartment. I believe they can charge you for maintenance on both places for up to 3 months, unless it’s sold before that. This also gives you time to have work done on the new place.
Thanks, ChelseaRez! I think I want to stay in my building, but I also like a few others. Is the internal list really long for a 1 bedroom? I just talked to my neighbor again and he said that they called him pretty quickly right after he went on the list (1bedroom to 2).

Old 04-28-2021, 04:54 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
Can anyone living in Penn South let me know what exactly allows a person to move to a larger apartment?

For example, I am 100% childfree and will not be planning on kids but in the future I will most likely be my dad's and my aunt's caretaker. If I move them in after becoming a tenant does that qualify me for an internal transfer to a 3 bedroom?

Old 04-28-2021, 05:09 PM

59 posts, read 65,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
Can anyone living in Penn South let me know what exactly allows a person to move to a larger apartment?

For example, I am 100% childfree and will not be planning on kids but in the future I will most likely be my dad's and my aunt's caretaker. If I move them in after becoming a tenant does that qualify me for an internal transfer to a 3 bedroom?
I am wondering the same thing. I'm on the one-bedroom list now, but I was wondering if I could transfer to a larger unit after getting in if I were to take care of my elderly parents? Hoping someone from Penn South can shed insight into this process?

Old 04-28-2021, 07:51 PM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post

No.
There are minimum occupancy requirements:

Studio apartments: one or two people.
One-bedroom apartments: one to three people.
Two bedroom apartments: no fewer than three people of any age, or a single parent with a child.
Three bedroom apartments: no fewer than four people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery