Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 10:38 AM

49 posts, read 52,241 times

Advertisements

I got an email as well, saying I am I didn’t meet the income bracket for the 40ami. I sent my updated pay stubs last week in a drop box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 05:14 AM

106 posts, read 93,201 times
I did a tour on the apartment here today omg I’m so confused on if it should take it. I’m in a really descent one bedroom in Harlem which is huge and I lived there for ten plus years. Looking at this apartment it’s really small but the building it self makes up for it. Your literally walking into your kitchen then tiny living room. Room would fit a queen bed but no dresser and the so called walk in closet is small. The bathroom is huge bc and lovely. It has washer, dryer, dish washer inside apartment but it small. Confused if I should last or take it. But the building makes up for it.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,623,234 times
Of course this is a decision you alone can make. I personally would have a hard time going from a one-bedroom into a studio. And it's not just because of all my stuff. Studios don't allow you flexibility. And a small studio is even more constraining. I would get sick of being in one room all the time.

Also, I live near this building, and the neighborhood has gone downhill in my opinion since the pandemic started. East 14th Street between First and A has turned into an open-air flea market, at least in nice weather. (I know people are struggling to earn money. I'm not heartless. But the flea market has had an effect on the neighborhood.) It's hard to walk on the sidewalk, and some people aren't wearing masks. Trash is piling up. Lots of homeless people too. Many restaurants have closed.

That said, it is a nice building, and I imagine you will be using the 13th Street entrance anyway. The Trader Joe's in the basement is great. It is big and has wide aisles. I am thanking my lucky stars that it opened before the pandemic. You will be right near the L train, and there is a new entrance with an elevator on A. And you will be across the street from Stuy Town, and you can come in and enjoy the Oval in nice weather.

I assume the city will start to come back to life next year after more people get vaccinated. So I wouldn't base my decision on temporary factors. However, I am a believer in vibes. How did you feel when you were in the apartment? Can you see yourself living there? Which way did the apartment face? Is there a view? Is it a good deal for the AMI that you are in?

Last edited by macnyc2003; 12-19-2020 at 10:26 AM..

Old 12-19-2020, 11:34 AM

Yes I totally agree. At first they showed me a studio and I turned it down. Within the same week I was approved for the one bedroom. Yesterday I saw the one bedroom and it’s small, facing 14 street no view all I can see is the projects, when I walked in the apartment the first thing I did was say wow it’s small. But I love everything inside of it. I have a lot of shoes and clothes is what I’m worried about also it’s in the AmI of 130. I feel like I can see myself living there but I would be giving up a lot of furniture and space just to get something brand new. My current apartment is huge and it’s a one bed room as well but the building is old and has no amenities. I just wanted something new and I been applying for years and this the first time I been approved and not waitlisted. I have until Monday to decide. Also I did see it looking like a fleas market out there and it was a lot of homeless people around the area.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:34 PM

Well, a one-bedroom would be a lot better. And your timing is good. The subway construction is finished. The noise drove everyone who faces 14th Street crazy!

Would your kitchen have a dishwasher and nice finishes? Would you have an in-unit washer dryer?

Also, where you're living now, is it rent stabilized?

Just want to point out that when you look out your window facing 14th Street, those aren't the projects, that's Stuyvesant Town!

https://www.stuytown.com/living-here

Old 12-19-2020, 12:43 PM

Yes the kitchen have a dish washer and a in unit washer dryer. I have pictures and videos but for some reason it isn’t allowing me to upload them.

Old 12-19-2020, 02:23 PM

Well, it sounds good to me!

Old 12-19-2020, 02:24 PM

56 posts, read 56,173 times
Tuh, and that’s the best part of the east village. If you think that’s bad, try walking a block or two down to the other alphabet avenues

Old 12-19-2020, 02:25 PM

56 posts, read 56,173 times
If she thinks those are projects, she’s in for a rude awakening avenue D is literally alll projects lol

Old 12-19-2020, 02:46 PM

Yes I’m gonna sleep on it. My only issue is space beside that’s it’s an amazing apartment, amazing building. Just was expecting more living room space. I know 3 friends with the lottery apartments and they have a decent size one bed room on 42nd street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery