Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 11:39 AM

128 posts, read 135,874 times

Advertisements

My lottery was in the low 300’s my cousin is rejecting as well her lottery is mid 700s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 11:55 AM

133 posts, read 141,701 times
Thanks for the info. Just curious of why so many of you are not deciding to continue, I cynically hope for people with log# below mine decide to do so as well, especially those in my AMI lmao.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:26 PM

61 posts, read 85,663 times
I hear you. But your friend had a preference so she was able to skip the line ahead bunch of ppl who did not have a preference. That's different.

No preference here and frankly they are phasing that out completely. So log numbers in ratio to # of units matter more than ever.

This is my personal preference right now. As I said, not my first Rodeo. Currently, live in an apartment I won by lottery. Did the math when called and I knew I would get it - so I proceeded. I got it.

It is simple math.

7 apartments. Almost 500 applications before me to be considered. My chances are zero.

Also, they're calling ppl in the #15XXs in the same AMI. Sounds like busy work to me. They use this strategy often to have a large amount of back up files, then start wait listing ppl. Not cool, and HPD needs to crack down on this but people are afraid to speak up because they think they will lose a chance at an apartment. Get Blacklisted or something.

Anyway, they request all this info, put it in a file with my ENTIRE life and it sits in some office able to viewed by people I have never met. No thank you.

Again, this is just me, as I said before I hope it opens up opportunity for others. People should definitely NOT give up and stay consistent on Housing Connect.

I'm in the position to wait. So I have decided to do so.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:49 PM

Your approach makes sense, if my log # were higher than 200, I wouldn't have invested so much time and energy as I am doing now.

Old 05-24-2020, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You would be surprised how many people ahead of you will get rejected or decide not to pursue it. If you like the building and need the apartment, I would proceed.

My friend who was called for a lottery back in 2015 wasn’t going to continue with it because her number was 12,000. (She also had community preference, which we were both ignorant of at the time.) It was inconceivable to her that people with lower log numbers wouldn’t take all the apartments. I convinced her to stick with it. She did hand in documents and ended up getting the apartment. The moral of the story is, you never know! Good luck!
Thank you! I do need the apartment, I have decided that I would leave NYC if I weren't to find affordable/ more comfortable housing this year. So this would be life-changing for sure.

I even limited myself not to pursue better financial and employment opportunities just because I am expecting to leave the city soon, so this would provide me with the stability to stay here for longer and pursue a better career. It is not fun when you are stuck in a relatively low paying job, despite having post-grad education and experience, mainly because of the instability brought on by a lack of stable housing.

I know a log# in the low 80's is not bad at all, but because there are so few apts available and this is my first time doing this, I can't help but feel a bit anxious. But thank you for your encouragement and good advice.

Last edited by issapi27; 05-24-2020 at 01:53 AM..

Old 05-24-2020, 07:50 AM

61 posts, read 85,663 times
Log# below 80 is excellent! Stay positive, you will get something!

Old 05-24-2020, 09:19 AM

8 posts, read 8,284 times
This is also my first go around with submitting documents after 3 years of entering lotteries and finally getting contacted, do you think there's any chance if my log number is #10XX? Trying not to get too excited about this if it doesn't pan out well.

Old 05-25-2020, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,244 times
Hello,

I just received an email for this apartment - Letter of Ineligibility. This was caused by the changes in AMI in 2020. My 2019 income is just $1300 shy of meeting the requirement for the 1br. My 2020 income projection puts me perfectly in the bracket - unemployment and PAU included. Will I get rejected for the $1300?

I have excellent Credit Score - 800's, never missed a rent payment and some student loans. I have submitted a letter of appeal mentioning this. Log #10XX.

What are my chances?

Old 05-25-2020, 03:32 PM

4,772 posts, read 6,571,114 times
They figure your income several different ways and take the highest one. If your current income puts you in the bracket, you should be good to go.

Old 05-25-2020, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,244 times
Hey... I wanted to see if you have heard back from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery