Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2022, 06:28 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times

Advertisements

Congrats, greenpointer! I’m so happy for you! And you had a fast timeline too. I’m still surprised that two-bedrooms are easier to come by than one-bedrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 07:14 AM

72 posts, read 76,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpointer View Post
Hi everyone,

I just want to give a little update. My son and I moved into our beautiful PCV apartment today. The apartment is so beautiful, and all my worries about proximity to the FDR are gone!

Thanks so much to this community for answering my questions and being so supportive. It has meant a lot.

For everyone, here’s our timeline for a 2-bedroom (log: 6,xxx). We applied as part of the 2021 lottery.

June 15: Request for documents.
July 5: Request for further information / clarification.
July 26: Offer for apartment.
August 26: Lease started!
That's wonderful, congratulations!!

Old 08-27-2022, 08:21 AM

118 posts, read 126,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstardanc2007 View Post
I've been holding this close to the vest for a few days, lest something go wrong before lease signing... But after a very long road, it's finally my turn to share some good news! I received an offer a few days ago for a 1-bedroom apartment, which I have accepted! Log # 15xx. Will be moving in mid-September!

Good luck to everyone still waiting!!!

My timeline in case it's helpful for anyone:

mid-October 2021: Received initial email asking for paperwork. Submitted about a week later.
mid-November 2021: Received email indicating no 1-bedrooms available and placing me on waitlist.
early July 2022: Received email requesting updated paperwork. Submitted about a week later.
mid-July 22: Received email requesting I resubmit 1 document and asking if I have any pets. Responded same day.
late July 2022: Received email confirming receipt of paperwork and indicating that my application is "ready for processing."
late August 2022: Apartment offer!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Is it not just a release of stress knowing that you don't have to call to check on the status and hoping that someone will answer the phone?

I must admit, I am a little envious that you are moving so quickly, I feel that all of you are moving within 3 weeks of the offer.

I received my offer august 4 and the lease was 3 days later, yet my move in day is in OCT. I am already 90% packed and somehow October seems so far...

Once again congrats!!!

Old 08-27-2022, 10:33 AM

76 posts, read 121,223 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just want to give a little update. My son and I moved into our beautiful PCV apartment today. The apartment is so beautiful, and all my worries about proximity to the FDR are gone!

Thanks so much to this community for answering my questions and being so supportive. It has meant a lot.

For everyone, here’s our timeline for a 2-bedroom (log: 6,xxx). We applied as part of the 2021 lottery.

Congrats!!! I moved in with my twins in PCV also on the 22nd!!! How exciting!!!

Old 08-27-2022, 11:18 AM

147 posts, read 164,542 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Congrats. That's wonderful.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:29 AM

7 posts, read 7,394 times
Default 3bd offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaCash View Post
Hi, the couple that I now live in the oval. Not sure if this is StuyTown or PCV but have only ever said they lived in StuyTown. Their apartment is large for NY standards IMO. Their kitchen opens up to the living room which is really nice and they have a large dining area.

The coworker didn't share any additional particulars but appeared to be very pleased with the rent amount.

I'm sure they didn't allow him to view it in person because of covid. I don't know whether he has actually started the move-in process with his family yet but the lease had to be signed within a few days of the offer. This is also stated in the email requesting paperwork.

We have a larger family and are trying for a 3 bedroom. I imagine there are more 1 and 2 bedrooms so I don't expect to hear back as quickly as my coworker did. Good Luck!
hey, how are you? did you ever end up getting a 3 bd? my log came up as well I have been in a process for a couple of months now maybe more than 3 months. however, the person that is in charge of my file said to me that they are curenttly only processing 2BD and are not sure about the 3 bd as far as inventory availability. he asked me if I wanted to be put on the waiting list but to be honest, i was scared and just said to process it as 2BD becuase I do not want to lose my opportunity to live in ST/CV

Old 08-29-2022, 07:56 AM

7 posts, read 7,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
I know about the rent law changes, but ST had previously played hardball with the government (witness the crappy earlier lotteries and the warehousing). Maybe they took so many losses due to the pandemic that they thought they couldn't afford to keep warehousing? Especially with the market rents crashing.

I'm a lawyer, and I can tell when there's an interesting story behind the scenes!

I heard that due to the pandemic and loss of tenants and rent ST was offered tax breaks (or no tax at all) if they will give a new lottery and make more units available

Old 08-29-2022, 08:03 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,589,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRA26 View Post
I heard that due to the pandemic and loss of tenants and rent ST was offered tax breaks (or no tax at all) if they will give a new lottery and make more units available
Wow, that would be great!

Old 08-29-2022, 08:18 AM

72 posts, read 76,815 times
For those of you who were contacted with an offer, did you receive an email or a call first from the leasing agent? If an email, who was the sender? Want to make sure nothing ends up in spam. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2022, 08:23 AM

147 posts, read 164,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRA26 View Post
hey, how are you? did you ever end up getting a 3 bd? my log came up as well I have been in a process for a couple of months now maybe more than 3 months. however, the person that is in charge of my file said to me that they are curenttly only processing 2BD and are not sure about the 3 bd as far as inventory availability. he asked me if I wanted to be put on the waiting list but to be honest, i was scared and just said to process it as 2BD becuase I do not want to lose my opportunity to live in ST/CV
I did something similar in early august. Originally was on the 3 bd wait list and switched to the 2bd as i saw lots of people getting 2 bdr. I think you got good advice. What is your lottery number? I think they create a new list based on when you are added to the 2bd wait list so the lottery number may be less relevant?

Also who else is waiting for a 2 bd at this point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery