Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2022, 01:07 PM

20 posts, read 23,918 times

Advertisements

Reading everything and it's so helpful. My case is similar to many others so I'm not going to add anything at this time because it would not be helpful.

I was wondering though... This lottery ends in February 2023. Does that mean that people who have not been offered a unit by then will continue to wait past Feb 2023 or does it mean that the lottery is over and if you have not been assigned a unit you missed your chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 01:57 PM

44 posts, read 48,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire18 View Post
Reading everything and it's so helpful. My case is similar to many others so I'm not going to add anything at this time because it would not be helpful.

I was wondering though... This lottery ends in February 2023. Does that mean that people who have not been offered a unit by then will continue to wait past Feb 2023 or does it mean that the lottery is over and if you have not been assigned a unit you missed your chance?
Are we certain that the lottery ends in February 2023? I’ve heard that date here before but I don’t know if we have that as a guess based on the previous flawed lottery or as an official or known date?

Old 08-30-2022, 04:46 PM

143 posts, read 162,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohnson55 View Post
Are we certain that the lottery ends in February 2023? I’ve heard that date here before but I don’t know if we have that as a guess based on the previous flawed lottery or as an official or known date?
I think a big part of what happens in Feb 2023 is based upon whether a future lottery will be enacted. we have seen people from earlier lotteries getting apartments. also i think we would need to know if the lottery requirements have been fulfilled. the complex had agreed to certain apartments (5000 or about 45%) being rent stabilized and believe the lottery was the delivery mechanism for this. i don't know if multiple lotteries were planned or happened as a result of the target not yets being met.

we were part of the 2017 lottery and were log #11xx; we reapplied when saw the rents could be much lower than that the past.

please see below for some information but that also leaves many unanswered questions as well.

https://www.6sqft.com/new-affordable...rom-1200month/

Old 08-30-2022, 04:53 PM

This the crux:

When the Blackstone Group bought the 80-acre complex–the largest rental community in Manhattan–for $5.45 billion in 2015, they committed to reserving 5,000 units of affordable housing for 20 years, including 4,500 for middle-income families and 500 for low-income families. And under the city’s confusing AMI calculation (it is factored not by the city itself but by HUD and factors in several affluent suburbs like Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam counties, which skews the figure), 165 percent is in fact considered middle-income.

this is from one source but i recall reading an offical lottery document that something similar

i will see if i can locate that for anyone that wants to dig in

Old 08-30-2022, 04:57 PM

also

https://app.stuytownlottery.com/PDFs...pplication.pdf

The StuyTown 2020 lottery waiting list
has expired. You must reapply if you are
interested in any of the below unit types.
Waiting lists for unit types not included
in this lottery are still active.

Old 08-30-2022, 06:10 PM

To be clear this lottery we are currently engaged in for most of us is for 2021. It has not expired but you can no longer get involved if you don’t have a log number.

I am still not seeing any indication that this current lottery will expire in February 2023.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjohnson55 View Post
To be clear this lottery we are currently engaged in for most of us is for 2021. It has not expired but you can no longer get involved if you don’t have a log number.

I am still not seeing any indication that this current lottery will expire in February 2023.

i think March or April 2023 will be the will be a cut off date based on our 4/27 letters with our log numbers, if not extended. extension is quite possible if they want to avoid another lottery

please see below:

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your application for the StuyTown Lottery 2021. You have been randomly assigned wait list log number 5,5xx. This will be your log number for the duration of this lottery, which is active for a period of two (2) years.

Your application is logged and will be held in the office. As units become available, we will contact the next eligible person in the log to begin the applicant verification process.

Please contact us in writing if your contact information changes. All requests to change contact information should include your name and log number and can be mailed to StuyTown Lottery Wait List, 276 1st Avenue Loop, New York, NY 10009 or emailed to stuytownlottery@stuytown.com.

Sincerely,
StuyTown Lottery
Email: stuytownlottery@stuytown.com
Phone: 212.253.3680

Old 08-30-2022, 08:04 PM

based on my reading of initial lottery announcement, the goal is fill 5000 units. the prior lotteries to the active one must have accomplished a number of this total. it could very well be that the previous lotteries filled almost all of the 1 bdr units and this is why we are seeing an easier time with 2bdrs.

https://www.stpcvta.org/stuyvesant_t...starts_march_1

Old 08-30-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 531PCV View Post
i think March or April 2023 will be the will be a cut off date based on our 4/27 letters with our log numbers, if not extended. extension is quite possible if they want to avoid another lottery

please see below:

Dear Applicant:

Thank you for your application for the StuyTown Lottery 2021. You have been randomly assigned wait list log number 5,5xx. This will be your log number for the duration of this lottery, which is active for a period of two (2) years.

Your application is logged and will be held in the office. As units become available, we will contact the next eligible person in the log to begin the applicant verification process.

Please contact us in writing if your contact information changes. All requests to change contact information should include your name and log number and can be mailed to StuyTown Lottery Wait List, 276 1st Avenue Loop, New York, NY 10009 or emailed to stuytownlottery@stuytown.com.

Sincerely,
StuyTown Lottery
Email: stuytownlottery@stuytown.com
Phone: 212.253.3680
Thank you! That's what I was missing.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:37 PM

last post for me for the day. here is some very detailed background to the lottery inception:

https://www.ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports...uary-2018.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery