Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2022, 07:47 PM

81 posts, read 89,805 times

Advertisements

[quote=TPNYC;63957287 I always wonder if there are a lots of other applicants not in this forum getting offers.
Good luck to you and hopefully the 1 bedroom list starts moving soon.[/quote]

Yes, that is most likely happening as there are only a dozen or so of us continuing to post...I remain hopeful...and wishing you the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 02:39 PM

110 posts, read 215,528 times
Ok so log numbers 1300 and 1600 are still waiting for a one bedroom it seems. I'm in the 4000 range so I think I can definitely relax until the holidays (or not expect any emails anyway!!).

Old 08-16-2022, 04:30 PM

72 posts, read 77,082 times
All docs in, processed and accepted. Now in the queue waiting for the leasing agent to find an available unit in our price range. Happy, relieved and anxious (but a 'better' anxious). Hope to share good news soon! Keep the faith y'all.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markienyc View Post
All docs in, processed and accepted. Now in the queue waiting for the leasing agent to find an available unit in our price range. Happy, relieved and anxious (but a 'better' anxious). Hope to share good news soon! Keep the faith y'all.

Thats wonderful! Please let us know when you get an offer...I plan to contact Syed tomorrow as instructed.."if you dont hear from me by Wed"...this is so nerve racking!

rp

Old 08-16-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysteady View Post
Ok so log numbers 1300 and 1600 are still waiting for a one bedroom it seems. I'm in the 4000 range so I think I can definitely relax until the holidays (or not expect any emails anyway!!).

Will definitely update if/when I move further down the process - log 16xx 1bdrm.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:35 AM

199 posts, read 221,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markienyc View Post
Congrats and good luck!! I am waiting patiently for my offer as well.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:50 AM

27 posts, read 20,770 times
So I'm log #8xxx, and I accepted like a year ago that I would in all likelihood never see an apartment from this lottery. (And now that I've submitted documents and was immediately put on the 1BR hold list, I may be even more certain that it's not gonna happen.) Which is fine... if it happens it happens.

But it makes me wonder: I know the lottery people can't control the number of people who apply to the lottery, but they do control how many people they assign log numbers to. In what universe would they ever need to reach out to 15,000 people? The lottery has been ongoing for a year and a half, it ends in six months, and they are still only processing applications with log numbers in the 1000's. They asked me, #8xxx, to submit documents just a couple weeks ago. How could they ever think they might reach people in the 13,000's and 14,000's? Do they just want to be quadruply-safe, to make sure every apartment gets filled?

Old 08-17-2022, 08:03 AM

147 posts, read 166,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblasts View Post
So I'm log #8xxx, and I accepted like a year ago that I would in all likelihood never see an apartment from this lottery. (And now that I've submitted documents and was immediately put on the 1BR hold list, I may be even more certain that it's not gonna happen.) Which is fine... if it happens it happens.

But it makes me wonder: I know the lottery people can't control the number of people who apply to the lottery, but they do control how many people they assign log numbers to. In what universe would they ever need to reach out to 15,000 people? The lottery has been ongoing for a year and a half, it ends in six months, and they are still only processing applications with log numbers in the 1000's. They asked me, #8xxx, to submit documents just a couple weeks ago. How could they ever think they might reach people in the 13,000's and 14,000's? Do they just want to be quadruply-safe, to make sure every apartment gets filled?

They have a process and they are trying go through the motions because of that. I think they do need to show that try to fill every possible apartment. And they are working hard to do so.

I think when they reached your log number for documentation and had you selected a 2 bedroom (if your circumstances allowed), you would have a much better shot of getting an apartment. I am in the 56XX range and I have seen people with even higher numbers get 2 bdr. 1 bdr are another story, unfortunately.

Old 08-17-2022, 11:24 AM

13 posts, read 14,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunblasts View Post

That also never made sense to me. I know they've never had this many applicants in a lottery before and are usually able to contact ALL applicants within a short amount of time but why continue giving people hope. For 2021, things took a turn because of the low advertised rents and wide income range. I think they are trying to reach as many applicants as possible before the lottery closes and place them on the respective waiting lists. If you have a high log number, you most likely will not get a unit, especially if you're a 1 or 3 bedroom because there are no units available now.

I just wish the process was a bit more clear. It's extremely frustrating.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Old 08-17-2022, 11:47 AM

147 posts, read 166,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaStuyTownSavior View Post
That also never made sense to me. I know they've never had this many applicants in a lottery before and are usually able to contact ALL applicants within a short amount of time but why continue giving people hope. For 2021, things took a turn because of the low advertised rents and wide income range. I think they are trying to reach as many applicants as possible before the lottery closes and place them on the respective waiting lists. If you have a high log number, you most likely will not get a unit, especially if you're a 1 or 3 bedroom because there are no units available now.

I just wish the process was a bit more clear. It's extremely frustrating.

Best of luck to everyone!!
Agreed. It takes a lot to figure the out the landscape.

Any new readers, please indicate you want a 2 bdr, when initially contacted, if possible to increase your odds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery