Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2023, 10:09 AM

524 posts, read 509,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeler View Post
Of course, it is impossible to have no noise or pure silence in a big city like New York, but I don’t think it is normal to hear someone talking from upstairs or downstairs with their normal speaking voice. When someone stands right next to the windows, you can hear them easily, like they are in your apartment. It might be something about how they installed the windows in SVEN, since they are not part of the walls. Some people claim that we have unrealistic expectations, but it is not normal to hear your neighbors’ normal speaking voice in your apartment, if they were yelling/partying etc. that’d be understandable. It says something about how the building was constructed. Compared to my old place, this is much better, that’s a sure thing, but I am surprised that I can hear the neighbors like this or smell their weed/smoke in a luxury building.
In pretty much every other apartment I have lived in, both new luxury and old, and my friend's places if you stop and listen without white noise you can hear voices but probably not understand exactly what they are saying. Even in the apartment where my roommate and I only had a neighbor on one of our walls with the kitchen and bathroom between us meaning extra insulation and plumbing were at the end of the hallway in a brand-new luxury building and we could still hear them if we listened. So I do believe it's an unrealistic expectation, especially considering the majority of the buildings in NYC are not luxury apartments. I can hear mumbled voices every once in a while but usually I don't because something is running like the air purifier, humidifier, washer, or dishwasher. From what you have said before you are more sensitive to noise than most people which is probably why it is a bigger issue / more noticeable for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2023, 11:52 AM

71 posts, read 59,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71293kate View Post
In pretty much every other apartment I have lived in, both new luxury and old, and my friend's places if you stop and listen without white noise you can hear voices but probably not understand exactly what they are saying. Even in the apartment where my roommate and I only had a neighbor on one of our walls with the kitchen and bathroom between us meaning extra insulation and plumbing were at the end of the hallway in a brand-new luxury building and we could still hear them if we listened. So I do believe it's an unrealistic expectation, especially considering the majority of the buildings in NYC are not luxury apartments. I can hear mumbled voices every once in a while but usually I don't because something is running like the air purifier, humidifier, washer, or dishwasher. From what you have said before you are more sensitive to noise than most people which is probably why it is a bigger issue / more noticeable for you.
I highly doubt it being about my noise sensitivity since we live right next to the surface subway.
Maybe the buildings you've lived in were not that good or you have very low expectations.

Old 03-15-2023, 01:34 PM

83 posts, read 78,457 times
I’m not going to continue with the process but for those who are going/will go through the process:

02/03 - Submitted initial documents
03/15 - Sven reached out for additional documents

Old 03-20-2023, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 976 times
Hi all,

log #7---- here! My documents were submitted last week and also signed the TIC. Saw that my application was submitted by an administrator. Today (Monday), I saw on my HPD account that my status changed from "Under Review" to "Review Complete" and a marketing agent will be contacting me for next steps. Does anyone know what this entails?

Also - I know this has been answered previously, but with 130+ pages, I keep overlooking it everytime I look back and it became time consuming.

Additionally, i've been using TheGuarantors and Rhino. Does the building allow using these? I've been so accustomed to using Security Deposit Coverage because it's more justifiable than paying an entire month's worth of deposit..

Thanks alot for any responses going forward.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:09 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeler View Post
Of course, it is impossible to have no noise or pure silence in a big city like New York, but I don’t think it is normal to hear someone talking from upstairs or downstairs with their normal speaking voice. When someone stands right next to the windows, you can hear them easily, like they are in your apartment. It might be something about how they installed the windows in SVEN, since they are not part of the walls. Some people claim that we have unrealistic expectations, but it is not normal to hear your neighbors’ normal speaking voice in your apartment, if they were yelling/partying etc. that’d be understandable. It says something about how the building was constructed. Compared to my old place, this is much better, that’s a sure thing, but I am surprised that I can hear the neighbors like this or smell their weed/smoke in a luxury building.
Unless you're talking about pre-war multi-family with two or three brick thick walls and several layers of plaster, yes it is fairly common to hear people next door, above or even below your apartment.

Basically anything built from 1950's and certainly 1960's uses drywall, not lathe and plaster for walls and ceilings. Yes, there are various thickness of dry wall and other things that can be done to make apartments more soundproof, but that costs money and most developers then and now largely don't bother.

Things will vary by how loud someone is speaking and or what sort of voice they have. Males or others with booming loud voices even when speaking normally will be heard versus say a female who has a soft almost whisper sort of voice.

You only have to Google noise complaints and apartments to find people have been moaning about their neighbors for years.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:39 AM

196 posts, read 178,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinguy View Post
Hi all,

log #7---- here! My documents were submitted last week and also signed the TIC. Saw that my application was submitted by an administrator. Today (Monday), I saw on my HPD account that my status changed from "Under Review" to "Review Complete" and a marketing agent will be contacting me for next steps. Does anyone know what this entails?

Also - I know this has been answered previously, but with 130+ pages, I keep overlooking it everytime I look back and it became time consuming.

Additionally, i've been using TheGuarantors and Rhino. Does the building allow using these? I've been so accustomed to using Security Deposit Coverage because it's more justifiable than paying an entire month's worth of deposit..

Thanks alot for any responses going forward.
Hey! In my experience, this means you have been approved. Normally when you go on your dashboard under Sven lottery and click view details and then documents, the TIC form should be on top of the list with a little detective on the right side. You should be able to click on it to see if you have been approved. Hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2023, 12:10 PM

196 posts, read 178,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camomille View Post
Hey! In my experience, this means you have been approved. Normally when you go on your dashboard under Sven lottery and click view details and then documents, the TIC form should be on top of the list with a little detective on the right side. You should be able to click on it to see if you have been approved. Hope this helps!
I meant to say this *likely* means you are approved.

I'm also curious if we could Rhino as security deposit.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by approveme View Post
I’m not going to continue with the process but for those who are going/will go through the process:

02/03 - Submitted initial documents
03/15 - Sven reached out for additional documents

If I may ask what were the additional docs they asked for?

Old 03-24-2023, 09:15 AM

83 posts, read 78,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmo1152 View Post
If I may ask what were the additional docs they asked for?
Updated pay and bank statements. They also asked me to explain all my deposits (so venmo, apple cash, paypal etc.) in my bank statements for the last 6 months. And they included a bunch of attachments for me to sign and email back.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:00 PM

6 posts, read 4,177 times
Does anybody how the lease renewal for SVEN is? Do they ask you to re-certify your income, and if your income exceeds what is allowed for the unit will they refuse to renew the lease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery