Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2022, 02:59 PM

170 posts, read 168,410 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I hope you are well. I am in my early 20s and I wanna move from my parents for abuse reasons. It’s something that I’ve gotten so accustomed to that I’ve been more fearful of the outside world potentially harming me than the harm I know I face at home. Point is, I have CB preference for Sendero Verde and then a log number btwn 250 and 300 for Apex Place in Forest Hills. I have a full time
job and $5000 in savings. My qualification bracket puts me at roughly $1600 monthly rent which is my budget limit but bc they’re stabilized and utilities included I could def make an easier transition into having my own apartment. I haven’t won the lottery ever and I’m worried I have my head in the clouds since I’ve only been applying since 08/2021. I’m also not sure if I should stop getting my hopes up to be called and just take the plunge for a regular more expensive apartment to avoid self sabotage and staying here at the expense of my mental health. I also don’t know if I should Hold off because I have one ‘good’ log number even though I haven’t been called and then I also have community board preference. Is CB preference in a 70-80% AMI a guarantee apartment or? Any guidance is truly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2022, 03:00 PM

I also recently applied for Haven Connect, so I have done a lot of applications but I am of very little faith. I don’t know where I stand in terms of getting an affordable apartment.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:07 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celialexington View Post
. Is CB preference in a 70-80% AMI a guarantee apartment or?.
No, there are no guarantees. You should not rely on a lottery until someone in authority suggests clearly that you are very near to getting a unit.

You owe it to yourself to read the handbook and understand how lotteries work with CB preference. It’s in the table of contents. You have a good log# at Apex and should pursue it completely.

Unfortunately, it’s very hard to tell what your chances are because there are so many moving parts. It is not impossible that with your log# at Apex that you are first inline for studio or one bedroom at 70%, but we don’t know. Also, just because you agree to take a unit at one lottery does not exclude you from moving to another lottery building if you win there, although you might have to break a lease.

It’s almost three weeks before the Sendero Verde lottery closes. And we don’t know how fast lottery numbers will be issued, it can take months, and after that we don’t know how long it will be before people move in. Or maybe it will go very fast. We don’t know. But your CB preference is an advantage there, but having a low log # puts you ahead of others with CB preference who are seeking the same size unit at the same AMI%.

Has Apex Place contacted you yet? And being contacted does not mean you “next in line” for a unit, unless they tell you that. You want to comply with every request they make. You might be surprised how much paperwork and waiting is involved. Do this. You might get a unit, if you don’t get a unit it’s good experience for other lotteries.

There are 4 studios and 27 one bedrooms at Apex at 70% AMI. You don’t have CB a preference there. There is a 50% CB preference. But, we don’t know how many applicants there are for studio or 1 bedroom at 70% who also have CB preference. It could be zero. Likewise, we don’t know how many applicants have a lower log# than you who are seeking a studio or one bedroom at 70%.

Keep in mind, it’s only 50% preference for CB. So, it’s possible that all of the 50% of the units will be filled by 2 and 3 bedroom seekers or any size unit not at 70%. To whatever extent that is true, you low log# is more powerful.

READ THIS AND GAIN IN KNOWLEDGE:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf

Old 02-06-2022, 06:14 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,882,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celialexington View Post
Hi all, I hope you are well. I am in my early 20s and I wanna move from my parents for abuse reasons. It’s something that I’ve gotten so accustomed to that I’ve been more fearful of the outside world potentially harming me than the harm I know I face at home. Point is, I have CB preference for Sendero Verde and then a log number btwn 250 and 300 for Apex Place in Forest Hills. I have a full time
job and $5000 in savings. My qualification bracket puts me at roughly $1600 monthly rent which is my budget limit but bc they’re stabilized and utilities included I could def make an easier transition into having my own apartment. I haven’t won the lottery ever and I’m worried I have my head in the clouds since I’ve only been applying since 08/2021. I’m also not sure if I should stop getting my hopes up to be called and just take the plunge for a regular more expensive apartment to avoid self sabotage and staying here at the expense of my mental health. I also don’t know if I should Hold off because I have one ‘good’ log number even though I haven’t been called and then I also have community board preference. Is CB preference in a 70-80% AMI a guarantee apartment or? Any guidance is truly appreciated.
You cannot rely on anything until you get contacted to submit docs for processing. EVEN STILL, you gotta wait with baited breath because you might not be selected to go forward. They might process others before you, and you get a**ed out. You gotta wait, until you go through the steps and see a unit. Once you've seen the unit, you're pretty much there, and got it, depending on the development. They can choose to have you with other people during the viewing to see who leaps at the chance of a brand new apt first.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:35 PM

Regarding Apex. If you have not read ceebvndy’s post from 2/4/2022 on the Apex forum you should. It goes into process in detail with documents and dates. They have a log# in the thousands but with CB preference. So, that is likely why they have been contacted. I don’t recall them saying what size unit they want nor what AMI % they are.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:52 AM

290 posts, read 320,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Regarding Apex. If you have not read ceebvndy’s post from 2/4/2022 on the Apex forum you should. It goes into process in detail with documents and dates. They have a log# in the thousands but with CB preference. So, that is likely why they have been contacted. I don’t recall them saying what size unit they want nor what AMI % they are.

Good luck and good patience.
Hey! I have a 50% AMI eligible/aiming for a 2 bedroom. It is for myself and my unborn son. Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone!

Old 02-07-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebvndy View Post
Hey! I have a 50% AMI eligible/aiming for a 2 bedroom. It is for myself and my unborn son. Hope this helps! Best of luck to everyone!
It should help. Thanks. Now, celialexington can see that you and celialexington are not in competition because they want a studio or one bedroom, and you want a 2 bedroom, and you are in different AMI%s.

It gets confusing because most lotteries combine all applicants for all family size and AMI%. Someone might be log#100 for a 3 bedroom, but none of the 1-99 log#s want a 3 bedroom, so really that someone Is first inline for a 3 bedroom because all lower log# don’t qualify for 3 bedroom.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:36 AM

41 posts, read 58,167 times
One thing you can definitely do in the meantime is start to gather the documents that may be requested. You mentioned that you're in an abusive situation, do you currently have access to things like your birth certificate and social security card? Getting your documents together now will mean less headaches when it comes time to submit.

As an aside, is submitting a copy of your current lease and utilities bill no longer required? When I was still living with my parents it added extra hoops to jump through (i.e. having to get extra things notarized).

Old 02-07-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post

No, there are no guarantees. You should not rely on a lottery until someone in authority suggests clearly that you are very near to getting a unit.

You owe it to yourself to read the handbook and understand how lotteries work with CB preference. It’s in the table of contents. You have a good log# at Apex and should pursue it completely.

Unfortunately, it’s very hard to tell what your chances are because there are so many moving parts. It is not impossible that with your log# at Apex that you are first inline for studio or one bedroom at 70%, but we don’t know. Also, just because you agree to take a unit at one lottery does not exclude you from moving to another lottery building if you win there, although you might have to break a lease.

It’s almost three weeks before the Sendero Verde lottery closes. And we don’t know how fast lottery numbers will be issued, it can take months, and after that we don’t know how long it will be before people move in. Or maybe it will go very fast. We don’t know. But your CB preference is an advantage there, but having a low log # puts you ahead of others with CB preference who are seeking the same size unit at the same AMI%.

Has Apex Place contacted you yet? And being contacted does not mean you “next in line” for a unit, unless they tell you that. You want to comply with every request they make. You might be surprised how much paperwork and waiting is involved. Do this. You might get a unit, if you don’t get a unit it’s good experience for other lotteries.

There are 4 studios and 27 one bedrooms at Apex at 70% AMI. You don’t have CB a preference there. There is a 50% CB preference. But, we don’t know how many applicants there are for studio or 1 bedroom at 70% who also have CB preference. It could be zero. Likewise, we don’t know how many applicants have a lower log# than you who are seeking a studio or one bedroom at 70%.

Keep in mind, it’s only 50% preference for CB. So, it’s possible that all of the 50% of the units will be filled by 2 and 3 bedroom seekers or any size unit not at 70%. To whatever extent that is true, you low log# is more powerful.

READ THIS AND GAIN IN KNOWLEDGE:
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...g-handbook.pdf
First of all you’re a godsend. I definitely don’t understand how this works and you helped me to see just how much this is a numbers game. I guess the next step besides preparing for success is preparing for things to fall through? If the log numbers come out for Sendero and it’s not favorable or I’m not called in like two weeks should I contact a real estate broker or something? Thanks again, I’ll dance at your wedding.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
You cannot rely on anything until you get contacted to submit docs for processing. EVEN STILL, you gotta wait with baited breath because you might not be selected to go forward. They might process others before you, and you get a**ed out. You gotta wait, until you go through the steps and see a unit. Once you've seen the unit, you're pretty much there, and got it, depending on the development. They can choose to have you with other people during the viewing to see who leaps at the chance of a brand new apt first.
I’m realizing just how much this is a carrot dangled on a string for us. This is very stressful, and that’s funny coming from someone who hasn’t been called or contacted or anything. I’m collecting documents and uploading them as we speak, to maximize time. I’m struggling with the leasing because I’d have to get my parents to notarize that, but I won’t squander this opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery