Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 09:50 PM

34 posts, read 18,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, you didn't really answer my questions at all.

So did living in a shelter give you a preference? Because otherwise your 3 lottery numbers under 1,000 are, well, just about impossible to get according to the odds. That is what I asked about earlier but you didn't really reply.

=====

(And PLEASE stop bringing religion into this. By your logic, for everyone who DOESN'T get a lottery apartment, well, "god" didn't want them to. Really? Some "god" is following the New York City housing lotteries and plotting against some, in favor of others? That is your idea of "god"?)
Hi,

I’ve never bought religion into this. I never not once stated if I was Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or any other religion. And yes, God is the only reason why this beautiful occurrence happened to me my dear. I hope that answers all of your previous and future questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
that's correct. If voucher indeed covers entire rent, OP is eligible for 130% unit.

Is there $ ceiling currently on Fheps voucher? are they still issued at good pace in Jan 2024?
Cityfheps or Fheps? Because I heard there are two different programs?

Old 01-11-2024, 10:03 PM

200 posts, read 219,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernsoul7 View Post
Cityfheps or Fheps? Because I heard there are two different programs?
Whichever you know better. And whether you know the difference

Old 01-11-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
Whichever you know better. And whether you know the difference
So for Cityfheps which I’m the most knowledgeable about, the cap for a 1 bedroom is $2,387. This goes for any unit that is outside of the housing lottery sector. Now when applying for lottery units the voucher is augmented. Here is an example, if I apply to a lottery building and the rent is $3,000 but my voucher only covers $2,387, the voucher will be adjusted to match the lottery unit rental price.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:05 AM

149 posts, read 81,920 times
So, there is no limit for the lottery unit with the Cityfheps voucher?
You never have to pay anything?

Quote:
So for Cityfheps which I’m the most knowledgeable about, the cap for a 1 bedroom is $2,387. This goes for any unit that is outside of the housing lottery sector. Now when applying for lottery units the voucher is augmented. Here is an example, if I apply to a lottery building and the rent is $3,000 but my voucher only covers $2,387, the voucher will be adjusted to match the lottery unit rental price.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:15 AM

149 posts, read 81,920 times
Incredibly sad. Can't imaging in this day explaining to a child why they cannot enter a playground where they live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candcnyc View Post
FYI, these have been banned since 2015. Of course, landlords still find the occasional loophole to create a poor door

If you want to read about the saga that popularized the term "poor door": https://www.citysignal.com/history-of-the-poor-door/

Old 01-12-2024, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
So, there is no limit for the lottery unit with the Cityfheps voucher?
You never have to pay anything?
That is correct! Some have to pay a small portion others don’t.

Old 01-12-2024, 04:36 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,445,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
Your log numbers are relatively low. Do you have any tips on getting low logs?
There are no tips, assignment of logs is completely random once the application period closes.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:10 PM

200 posts, read 219,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
There are no tips, assignment of logs is completely random once the application period closes.
this, btw, is as good of a theory as any - how all lotteries should (!) work. Like how all vote tabulations should work. Or like all vaccine batches should be uniform. Fact is that one batch somewhere produced almost no adverse effects (obviously, placebo); while another batch elsewhere produced 21% same-year mortality. Does someone actually know the technology employed in ALL cases?

Old 01-12-2024, 08:19 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
<sigh>. OK. I wrote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, you didn't really answer my questions at all.

So did living in a shelter give you a preference? Because otherwise your 3 lottery numbers under 1,000 are, well, just about impossible to get according to the odds. That is what I asked about earlier but you didn't really reply.

=====

(And PLEASE stop bringing religion into this. By your logic, for everyone who DOESN'T get a lottery apartment, well, "god" didn't want them to. Really? Some "god" is following the New York City housing lotteries and plotting against some, in favor of others? That is your idea of "god"?)
But all OP answered was the last part, where despite his numerous references to "god," he said he did not bring religion into this thread.

Quote:
Hi,

I’ve never bought religion into this. I never not once stated if I was Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or any other religion. And yes, God is the only reason why this beautiful occurrence happened to me my dear. I hope that answers all of your previous and future questions.
OP, PLEASE answer my original question. In case you've forgotten, here is my question again (I think this is the THIRD TIME I have asked this): So did living in a shelter give you a preference? Because otherwise your 3 lottery numbers under 1,000 are, well, just about impossible to get according to the odds.

And to be clear, I'm really not TRYING to be disrespectful or argumentative (I find the New York housing lottery to be fascinating and wish I could be a part of it -- I would LOVE to live in Manhattan for a year or two) -- I'm just trying to get a simple answer, which so far you have not given. (Sorry, but saying "god did it" is not an answer -- it's just silly and completely unhelpful.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery