Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 12:01 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times

Advertisements

"I’m in a low AMI unit myself in a luxury building, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around someone contributing $0 towards their rent in a unit nicer than mine (maybe others are struggling with that too)."

Comparison is the thief of joy. You don't know what any of these folks have been through. I bet you wouldn't trade your life as a whole for theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 12:31 PM

36 posts, read 17,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
How do you explain all the people who apply right at the beginning and get a low log? Or in the middle?
You’d have to ask them

I never inferred I agreed with OP, it was a realization that was shared.

I know it’s tough for you but dont be miserable.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:06 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,456,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enomis98 View Post
You’d have to ask them

I never inferred I agreed with OP, it was a realization that was shared.

I know it’s tough for you but dont be miserable.
Huh? There's nothing to ask, the fact that people who apply at all times during the application period get low, high, and in between numbers disproves this silly conspiracy spouted on here by ignorant people who want someone to blame for their bad luck.

Miserable? Honey, I'm living the dream in my lottery apartment I got with my random log number. I hope you get the chance to do the same.

Old 01-13-2024, 01:10 PM

200 posts, read 219,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Huh? There's nothing to ask, the fact that people who apply at all times during the application period get low, high, and in between numbers disproves this silly conspiracy spouted on here by ignorant people who want someone to blame for their bad luck.

Miserable? Honey, I'm living the dream in my lottery apartment I got with my random log number. I hope you get the chance to do the same.
Deep minds assume no coded bias in searches & GPT, either

Old 01-13-2024, 03:47 PM

34 posts, read 18,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolee11 View Post
For all of those who aren’t aware when you’re in a shelter, and housing connect calls you, those people are qualified for a 130% ami apartment through the augmented cityfheps vocuher. I have a friend that moved into a building in the Bronx where the rent for a 3 bedroom at 130% ami is $4,296, she was approved and I couldn’t believe it until i visited her apartment and she showed me the housing connect listing. Ive also seen a single male in a fb group be approved for almost $3000 studio. But again cityfheps will only pay that much if you’re coming from a shelter.
Thank you! This is true.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:46 PM

77 posts, read 41,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
Deep minds assume no coded bias in searches & GPT, either
Huh? Search is 100% “biased”—hence the existence of SEO (search engine optimization) and algorithm-driven ranked results. And even the best AI (incl ChatGPT) is commonly recognized to have inherent biases at this time.

Your tinfoil hat is making you conflate a lot here. Randomly assigning a list of numbers to a list of people is very, very simple in terms of ‘programming.’

Old 01-13-2024, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candcnyc View Post
Huh? Search is 100% “biased”—hence the existence of SEO (search engine optimization) and algorithm-driven ranked results. And even the best AI (incl ChatGPT) is commonly recognized to have inherent biases at this time.

Your tinfoil hat is making you conflate a lot here. Randomly assigning a list of numbers to a list of people is very, very simple in terms of ‘programming.’
just as simple as keeping low numbers back for latecomers

Old 01-13-2024, 07:16 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolee11 View Post
For all of those who aren’t aware when you’re in a shelter, and housing connect calls you, those people are qualified for a 130% ami apartment through the augmented cityfheps vocuher. I have a friend that moved into a building in the Bronx where the rent for a 3 bedroom at 130% ami is $4,296, she was approved and I couldn’t believe it until i visited her apartment and she showed me the housing connect listing. Ive also seen a single male in a fb group be approved for almost $3000 studio. But again cityfheps will only pay that much if you’re coming from a shelter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernsoul7 View Post
Thank you! This is true.
Gee, so NOW you are saying that you DID get a preference -- from being in a shelter. That is something I asked you about several times, but you did not bother to respond (instead saying that some mythical "god" got you your apartment --which of course is also saying that anyone who DOESN'T get an apartment somehow isn't "favored" by that same mythical "god" -- UGH, how can ADULTS believe such stuff? Wow!).

Why on earth didn't you say that UP FRONT? Rather misleading and dishonest of you.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:59 PM

@ karen_in_nh_2012 with 10k posts:
what do your quotes have to do with preference??

Old 01-13-2024, 09:26 PM

34 posts, read 18,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Gee, so NOW you are saying that you DID get a preference -- from being in a shelter. That is something I asked you about several times, but you did not bother to respond (instead saying that some mythical "god" got you your apartment --which of course is also saying that anyone who DOESN'T get an apartment somehow isn't "favored" by that same mythical "god" -- UGH, how can ADULTS believe such stuff? Wow!).

Why on earth didn't you say that UP FRONT? Rather misleading and dishonest of you.
If you read the entire thread you would’ve seen that your question had already been answered. I don’t get it with you, you come to my post to cause chaos and confusion all while not even having anything to do with it. I made this post to help others out and to give out some encouragement, not to go back and forth with individuals such as yourself, hints as to why I did not respond to you. Please keep it respectful and professional on this post so that others that need this outstanding information will not be misled. Comprende?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery