Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2024, 01:06 PM

34 posts, read 18,227 times

Advertisements

Thank you kindly!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 01:17 PM

145 posts, read 81,509 times
How does someone get a Cityfheps voucher?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:18 PM

Your log numbers are relatively low. Do you have any tips on getting low logs?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:19 PM

Why did you choose Manhattan?
Did you apply to the lotteries around the same time?

Old 01-11-2024, 01:24 PM

93 posts, read 89,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernsoul7 View Post
It was all God!!!
Congratulations - wishing you much happiness in your new home!

Old 01-11-2024, 01:54 PM

How does one get a Cityfheps voucher?
I’m currently in a NYC shelter and received mine about 50 days from my intake date.

I’ve found that when I applied to a lottery near the end of the closing date I would receive a low log number, usually under 1,000. If I applied to a lottery when it first opened or earlier in the process my log number would be extremely high, some as high as 100,000.

Why did you choose Manhattan? Did you apply to the lotteries around the same time?
My favorite borough is Manhattan. Before I moved to NYC I’ve always wanted to live in the city, the vibe is unmatched in my honest opinion. Ironically, I applied to all of the lotteries that I won on the same day.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcLES View Post
Congratulations - wishing you much happiness in your new home!
Thank you!

Old 01-11-2024, 02:06 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Quote:
Hi,

I did not have any preferences. I’m not comfortable sharing the unit I selected but I will share the other two units that I won.

40 Bruckner Blvd, Bronx Log#7**
1258 Shakespeare Ave, Bronx Log#7**
Unit that I selected Manhattan, Log#3**
Quote:
I’m currently in a NYC shelter and received mine about 50 days from my intake date.

I’ve found that when I applied to a lottery near the end of the closing date I would receive a low log number, usually under 1,000. If I applied to a lottery when it first opened or earlier in the process my log number would be extremely high, some as high as 100,000.
But log numbers are supposed to be random, right? They don't work as you just described (high numbers given out first).

Getting 3 log numbers under 1,000 seems like astronomical odds. Was being in a NYC shelter some kind of preference? Otherwise, those of you in the know, help me understand how it would even be possible to get such low numbers 3 times in a row.

Old 01-11-2024, 02:40 PM

Never been in a shelter, but I understand for some it can be a life saver.
Is 50 days usual, or is that considered quick (I know, not what this thread is about).

This thread was your first post. Have you been lurker or did you make a new name to be anonymous?

Have all your numbers been low, or have you had numbers in the thousands too?

Quote:

Why did you choose Manhattan? Did you apply to the lotteries around the same time?
My favorite borough is Manhattan. Before I moved to NYC I’ve always wanted to live in the city, the vibe is unmatched in my honest opinion. Ironically, I applied to all of the lotteries that I won on the same day.

Old 01-11-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
But log numbers are supposed to be random, right? They don't work as you just described (high numbers given out first).

Getting 3 log numbers under 1,000 seems like astronomical odds. Was being in a NYC shelter some kind of preference? Otherwise, those of you in the know, help me understand how it would even be possible to get such low numbers 3 times in a row.
The log numbers were random, just like for anyone else applying to lotteries. I was solely speaking on my process. My process pretty much is just like everyone else except I have a housing voucher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery