Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 AM

33 posts, read 58,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNewYork99 View Post
hello everyone,

Received my keys this month after almost 8 years of waiting. I was on the 2 bedroom waiting list since 2010. The process since you get your letter to see an apartment until you get approved or not can be basically 2 months. The paper work is basic documents of you and your family. Your salary, paystubs, background check, kids school letter and birth certificates and of course your taxes. I'm happy it worked out for us but the waiting is brutal!!

The apartment is pretty basic, no stove, nor fridge and the kitchen and bathroom need work - a lot - so save your money you will need it. But everyone in the building and at the office are friendly and helpful. The outdoor space is nice and we have transportation to union square or the west side. A lot is happening in the Lower East Side, new market coming and a lot of construction.

keep your fingers crossed.

Awesome News NewYorkNewYork99. Congratulations on getting a Mitchell Lama apartment! I'm in the 800 range for a one bedroom. Looks like I will be waiting a very long time. List isn't moving much for the one bedrooms. Thanks for the update. Enjoy your new apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 PM

9 posts, read 16,890 times
I would like that handyman info

Old 07-07-2018, 04:03 PM

86 posts, read 172,662 times
What about other lower manhattan waiting lists?

Old 09-19-2018, 06:07 PM

38 posts, read 63,067 times
Default waiting list

what is waiting list now? I didn't have management office phone number to call.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,035,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennylhq View Post
what is waiting list now? I didn't have management office phone number to call.
They actually updated on Housing Connect, so check there. 1 beds were only up to 33 as of August. :P

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...ml#ml-waitlist

Old 09-21-2018, 03:21 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,857,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R160 View Post
hi C-D,
so i been selected to be on the waiting list for Masaryk Towers.
They are requesting a 200 dollar application fee, is this normal?
what kind of conditions are these apartment in?
Is the Masaryk Towers projects, or are they actual apartment buildings?

That is a beautiful part of town running from the Bridge straight down Grand to the water.
A gem of a secret middle class minimal crime location with many amenities and great tasting
bagel shops.L.O.L............

Old 11-02-2018, 09:39 AM

82 posts, read 174,200 times
For one bedroom, you have to live until 200 years old to get in. LOL

Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM

87 posts, read 119,867 times
One bedrooms up to 36 on Housing Connect

Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 AM

7 posts, read 13,376 times
A couple questions I'm hoping to get some clarity on...

1) Is Masaryk going private or pseudo private? This article mentions that a tentative deal has been reached which includes “offering a low-interest mortgage to shareholders in the co-op” and “caps on buyers income.” Both sounded normal as I assumed it was simply referring to purchasing shares into a Mitchell Lama building. However, it then goes on to mention “limits on how much sellers can profit.” As far as I am aware, current shareholders are not allow to resell their units on the open market. Does anyone have more info on this? My dad is a current shareholder and has always expressed interest in purchasing it as an co-op outright if Masaryk ever went private.

2) My cousin who is on the waiting list for a 2 brd had ask how much the purchase cost would be. Would anyone know? I recall my dad paying something along the line of $10k - $20k about 25 years ago when he purchase his 2 brd, but wasn't sure what the going rate is.

TIA

Old 12-31-2018, 08:44 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,998 times
No, they are not going private.

From the article:

A more than 1,000-unit co-op on the Lower East Side will remain affordable for low-income and middle-class New Yorkers under a deal announced by the city today. The financing that officials agreed to provide to Masaryk Towers is a win for the mayor's housing initiative at a time when other buildings in the decades-old Mitchell-Lama program have opted to go market-rate.

(Implying that Masaryk did NOT opt to go market rate)

And:

The Mitchell-Lama program was initially funded by the federal government in the 1950s and 1960s and created more than 100,000 apartments in New York state. Since 1989 roughly 20,000 of those co-ops and rental units in the five boroughs have left the program and become market-rate, according to the city. In October Mayor Bill de Blasio pledged $250 million to try to keep 15,000 apartments in the program, and the financing for Masaryk Towers is part of that initiative.

(Masaryk will stay affordable because it is part of this program that keeps MLs from going private)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery