Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2011, 06:39 AM

270 posts, read 748,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Day View Post
Emulator i'm happy for you, the place looks very nice!!
Thanks! We've been here for 3 night so far, we are truly happy with this gift. The neighborhood is wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,706 times
I have applied for this apt 440 W 42nd and i had my interview and then sent me a letter regarding my acceptance. I have been waiting until June for them to call and I never received a response. I just called a week ago and left a message. Do any of you think I still have a chance?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:40 PM

17 posts, read 33,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlethreat View Post
I got a call on Friday from my representative at Related Management...she wants my 2010 tax returns and some other updated info. Is it possible to still be in the running? I was sure they had filled all the apartments by now...
I was asked to bring in the same; 2010 tax returns and other updated info. If you havent been rejected or put on a waiting list it sounds like they are still interested in you. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 PM

943 posts, read 4,257,967 times
Default Question nobody seems to have an answer for

I tried this question on another lottery thread and it yielded no hits. Are HPD lotteries, Low Income Housing Tax Credit (federal) or rent stabilized (city). How are your rent increases determined? Is there a limit to how long you can reside in an apartment?

Old 06-20-2011, 05:34 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I tried for 80/20 Housing by RELATED a VERY long time ago, at least. Got completely approved and then was told, since I was living in NJ I'm out of luck.

Anyway, I was told the rent would increase exactly in tandem with the stabilization rates that the Rent Stabilization board decreed each year.

I've been searching for almost 2 decades and finally landed something nice after 16 years on the waiting list. This after about applying for 100 places.

This week I've read ALL the 2,000+ posts covering the saga <bleary eyed> and I want to congratulate all who got rewarded for their hard work. Personally I thought I'd gotten to the point of either a nervous breakdown or throwing in the towel...but I pushed on and got my reward.

Emulator...the Dumbo pad is enviable. Is that the bridge outside your window?

Better Davis famously said: "Old age AIN'T for sissies." I can add "neither is affordable housing."

Old 06-20-2011, 07:24 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I tried this question on another lottery thread and it yielded no hits. Are HPD lotteries, Low Income Housing Tax Credit (federal) or rent stabilized (city). How are your rent increases determined? Is there a limit to how long you can reside in an apartment?
No time limit..but once your in your income cant exceed 170% of the income level u came in with

Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
No time limit..but once your in your income cant exceed 170% of the income level u came in with
JKid are you SURE about that. It seems so unreasonable. For all other subsidized housing there is a formula in place which adds SUPPLEMENTAL but reasonable increases if your income goes too high, but no instance where you are tossed out or subject to an onerous increase, like a sudden rise to market rent, sometimes a tripling of your rent! For Mitchell Lama the rule is that even if you win the LOTTERY your rent will not increase by more than 50%, so a $600 rent will go to $900 max.

If the 170% is actually in effect that means that someone coming in at $20,000 gross income will be in big trouble with an increase only to $34,000. That is going to eventually involve MANY, MANY people...all it takes is getting a full timejob at almost ANYTHING.

I honestly think there are other considerations involved...but I do not know for sure.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Kefir King, thanks and yes thats the Manhattan bridge next to my windows, luckily these windows are quadruple thickness, practically muting 90% of all sound from outside..there's still a minor hum every now and then from the train traffic, but thankfully its not annoying as I thought it would be before I moved here. Well as far as I know, they did not tell me of any limits to my income, they just said for the 1st year they want everything to stay the same, then they said after that we could do whatever and our rent will still be stabilized and will increase according to the rent laws every time we renew the lease. For example the max income for us was $39K, we were told if we make $60k later on, that we would still be under the rent stabilized lease. I EVEN HEARD HER SAY WE COULD HIT THE LOTTO. I may be wrong in what I heard though but I did hear her say that.

Here's a couple of before and after pics, we've been filling up the place

Living Room Before:

Living Room After:

Kitchen before:

Kitchen After:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5666/imag0070p.jpg (broken link)

Bedroom :

Kids room:

Last edited by emulator; 06-21-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 10:41 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,851 times
Very nice kitchen. If you don't mind, how much rent for this 2-br unit? I've read some affordable housing ads, 2-brs are about $800 - $900.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 AM

The legal market rent here is $4,250, our rent will be $819 for 2 years, electric will be conveniently charged on the rent bill, gas is included. We'll also have access to a free gym in the building and rooftop terrace, and every unit includes dishwasher and washer and dryer. We are still thanking God to date. I think its been roughly 10 years since we had something we could call our own , with all our names on the lease. We've been living sub-leased for so long with no kind of security. Twice already we have sub leased and each time when we get settled and comfortable we are asked to start looking for a place. No more!
PS: We've been here for 2 weeks now, and we JUST received a letter from NYCHA that we have been certified for public housing and that unfortunately there are no available 3 bedroom apartments in the development we selected, which is WAGNER HOUSES on 120th street and 1st ave . We went to that interview in DEC 2010, and JUST NOW they are responding to tell us we have to WAIT even MORE! I can now tell them THANK YOU!, but NO THANK YOU!

Last edited by emulator; 06-21-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City