Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,771,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't find the trains particularly dirty at all. It only takes a couple of people to leave trash to make it messy and gross for everyone. I think overall, considering the pigs that take the trains on a daily basis, and volume of people on the trains every day, they are reasonably clean and 10,000,000% cleaner than the 70s and 80s (or so I here).
The subway cars are bleached down at the end of their run. Like you said the filthy pigs during the run are who makes the mess you see. Cleaners can't come in at every stop and clean the cars. If people had a little respect about their surroundings those cars would stay clean through the whole run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would agree with you Fred, and as a conductor/employee of the MTA you have the perceived authority to question people's inappropriate behavior. However, you as well as anyone else knows that people believe "How dare you question me. Who are you?" So I do not recommend people confront these pigs, as that behavior alone indicates they don't care/have no respect for you, the train, or themselves. And you will likely create a bigger problem for yourself, so it really isn't worth it.

I have found that when they throw it on the floor, simply picking it up in front of them and throwing it away says everything that needs to be said to them and to the other passengers.
Wow! That's a good response. I do agree that confrontation is not the best response. I once witness a bus driver almost get into an ugly situation with some guy over playing those new ipods that have speakers rather than the need of an earphone. I'm afraid the boombox noise on the bus will be back soon. This man was sitting in the back of the bx4 double bus and you could hear the noise in the front. It was sad after the bus driver back down and went back to driving. This lunatic with the ipod looked at all of us and started babbling about how he had a right to listen to his music and the bus driver should have treated him like a man. His a-- should have gotten a ticket for playing that jungle crap on the bus.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
I didn't like the way one person was insinuating African-Americans by the comment about diversity leaving chewed up fried chicken on the floor. smh
Well, tough ****. The subway is not for Wall Street, its for the common man. Dirt and garbage is part of the deal.
This may come off sounding racist but the dirtiest subway stations and streets are usually in black neighborhoods and this poster reenforces it. Dude, have a little respect about yourself and your surroundings. Dirt and garbage shouldn't be part of the deal. Keep it in your house!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Mr Sobro.

They are not clean as you stated. Even if a few people litter, spit, etc....Its not clean
No. he's right. I've witnessed on the 6 at Pelham Bay Park and the 4 at Woodlawn where cleaning crews are claning those cars with bleach water. If they are dirty by the time they get downtown it's the fault of your fellow straphangars. Everyone has to share in the cleanliness of the subway system.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
No. he's right. I've witnessed on the 6 at Pelham Bay Park and the 4 at Woodlawn where cleaning crews are claning those cars with bleach water. If they are dirty by the time they get downtown it's the fault of your fellow straphangars. Everyone has to share in the cleanliness of the subway system.
One day, while I was still a conductor, I had a job on the N line that didn't come out of the terminal in Coney Island; that particular run came out of Coney Island yard, where the train had been stored overnight.

Trains stored in yards are always clean when they go out the next morning. Well, let me tell you--by the time we got to 20 Avenue, that train looked like a landfill, there was so much garbage strewn around. An irate woman saw me, came up, and practically yelled in my face, "This car is FILTHY!" I replied to her, "When we came out of the yard, there wasn't any garbage on this train. We're not the ones who put it there."

I don't think she liked my response. She wanted me to take responsibility, and I wouldn't do that for the pigs--excuse me, passengers--who happened to be on the train at that time.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One day, while I was still a conductor, I had a job on the N line that didn't come out of the terminal in Coney Island; that particular run came out of Coney Island yard, where the train had been stored overnight.

Trains stored in yards are always clean when they go out the next morning. Well, let me tell you--by the time we got to 20 Avenue, that train looked like a landfill, there was so much garbage strewn around. An irate woman saw me, came up, and practically yelled in my face, "This car is FILTHY!" I replied to her, "When we came out of the yard, there wasn't any garbage on this train. We're not the ones who put it there."

I don't think she liked my response. She wanted me to take responsibility, and I wouldn't do that for the pigs--excuse me, passengers--who happened to be on the train at that time.
Exactly! people should be complaining to fellow riders not the MTA when it concerns the cleanliness of the cars. The MTA does their part. The rest is up to us. Now here is something we should complain about to the MTA. Do you know when the second ave line will be complete and why don't more stations have those next train sign? It should be system wide.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
i am not sympathetic towards people complaining about how dirty the subways are.

the MTA runs 24 hours a day 7 days week. compared it to other huge subway sytems and see who else does this. the london underground by comparison closes at midnight. they have all night to clean the train stations and trains. also the london underground is way more expensive. a monthly pass to travel from zones 1 thru 6 in london cost £182.80, which equals $239.33 a month. they have less of a network to maintain and more money to do it. the underground only has 270 stations. NYC has 468. just the facts.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-29-2010, 10:58 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i am not sympathetic towards people complaining about how dirty the subways are.

the MTA runs 24 hours a day 7 days week. compared it to other huge subway sytems and see who else does this. the london underground by comparison closes at midnight. they have all night to clean the train stations and trains. also the london underground is way more expensive. a monthly pass to travel from zones 1 thru 6 in london cost £182.80, which equals $239.33 a month. they have less of a network to maintain and more money to do it. the underground only has 270 stations. NYC has 468. just the facts.

yet, the buses and trains here in the city are cleaned everynight.

our night buses are cleaned and put to the side. they are the first ones to be washed, even when it rain and the inside sweep.

Last edited by Thehouse; 11-29-2010 at 11:15 AM..

Old 11-29-2010, 01:49 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

What does any of this have to do with dirty people who have no respect for their fellow riders? This is just another case of "someone else has it worse so you have to be perfectly happy with what you've got".

Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
What does any of this have to do with dirty people who have no respect for their fellow riders? This is just another case of "someone else has it worse so you have to be perfectly happy with what you've got".
it has nothing to do with having respect. just pointing out that other places have an easier job of keeping the place clean. what you are asking for is a revamping of social value and accountability that might not come to fruition in our lifetimes. other societies function differently. same reason why there is less violent crime in other modern countries than the US. different values. unfortunately its not happening here. so we have to look at the big picture. maybe we should fine $6000 for throwing gum on the sidewalk like they do in singapore perhaps. or a caning may be in order. who knows.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City