Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:26 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Some people have valid reasons for not liking it. Certain personality types won't respond well to the intensity of New York. It can be too much for many people and I can imagine that those who grew up there may be ready for a change. Still though, anybody with half a brain will admit that the city has to be one of the most interesting places on Earth.

What I don't understand are people who absolutely "hate" any place, especially somewhere as varied as New York. If it's not some third world death trap then surely there are some redeeming aspects of it.
You're right - Hate is a harsh word. Intense unhappiness over the traffic, the crowds, the rudeness and the high costs of living are more what I'm feeling at this stage of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMarie10 View Post
New York is only good if you are rich. It is a city that preys on the working man's dollar and gives it out to everyone else. When I was there grocery shopping there were always Dominican and Puerto Rican women in front of me with their twenty kids, pregnant yet again, always using a bridge card. Paying next to nothing for Section 8 while the person next to them works a sixteen hour day and comes home to the shoebox they are paying $3000 a month for.
So what are you trying to say? That Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are the only people that you see with this problem? As a matter of fact if you go to any of the "hoods" in NYC, it is going to be Blacks and Hispanics that have a lot of pregnancies. What do you expect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I suppose I am now looking for a quieter, calmer, cheaper way of life. I want to move to a more country setting. I would have left the city a long time ago but stayed because of my daughter. I'm just tired of the 'rat race'. Tired of the traffic, tired of the high cost of living. My goal now is to move, and maybe start my own business (a used book store) in the next few years. Like I said, I recommend everyone visit NYC. There is sooo much to do.
Yeah I hear you. In the future I want to move away to a place that is quiet but not soo quiet lol.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 AM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
We live in the city that comes as close to perfect as possible. What other city in the nation has the vibrancy to match NYC and at the same time has getaway spots like Staten Island or Long Island for those wanting things to be slower?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
I don't hate NYC. I just hate the people who live there or are from there. They seem to have huge egos and take credit for the whole city's accomplishments, as if by living in the city, they themselves have those accomplishments

It's absurd.

I will definitely visit there as everyone should do that at least once in their lifetime. I'll go there knowing what a..holes the people are, though, and won't be surprised when they act as if I should treat each and every one of them as if they're superior to me. They're not. Though they think they are.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:06 AM

818 posts, read 1,388,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
I don't hate NYC. I just hate the people who live there or are from there. They seem to have huge egos and take credit for the whole city's accomplishments, as if by living in the city, they themselves have those accomplishments

It's absurd.
You're taking this website way to seriously bro. Chillllll

Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,037,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post

It's absurd.

I'll go there knowing what a..holes the people are, though, and won't be surprised when they act as if I should treat each and every one of them as if they're superior to me. They're not. Though they think they are.
My sentiments exactly. I've lived here in NY for several years (originally from Texas), and feel the same way. I've even heard a few native New Yorkers I know say (in a totally serious and non-sarcastic manner), "I really do I think I'm better than everyone else because I'm from New York." The funny thing though is that the native New Yorkers aren't the ones with the huge egos, it's the transplants who move here and act like they own the world (yes, I am a transplant, but I am not anything like this -- I'm a friendly Texan, and I despise other transplants who act rudely and condescending for no reason). On the whole, I find native New Yorkers are actually nice and always interesting to talk to. It really is the snobby transplants acting all high and mighty who move here that give NY a bad name. I need to teach them how to be a nice transplant, Texas-style.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
My sentiments exactly. I've lived here in NY for several years (originally from Texas), and feel the same way. I've even heard a few native New Yorkers I know say (in a totally serious and non-sarcastic manner), "I really do I think I'm better than everyone else because I'm from New York." The funny thing though is that the native New Yorkers aren't the ones with the huge egos, it's the transplants who move here and act like they own the world ...
Interesting post as the same is said of San Francisco transplants being the ones who are snarky and have an elitist mentality. In contrast, SF natives, though only about 1/3 of the population, are reputed to be more secure.

Even if I'm taking this website too seriously, I still think it's valuable to give a person some expectations of what NYC can dish out.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
the only haters i've heard never grew up in the tri-state area

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 AM

8 posts, read 22,280 times
Born in Jersey, grew up in Eagle, Idaho which is a city of about 15,000 and twenty minutes from Boise makes you sort of appreciate what NYC has to offer. My family is from the Jersey/New York area so getting a chance to visit that different lifestyle every summer is such a great experience. People just have different tastes and their interests will vary. I would prefer the relaxing, quiet town and occasionally visit a crowded city, but that's just me.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I am so ready to leave NYC (born and raised here). I hope to be moving to California in the next few years.

I want to live in a place where it's actually nice out most of the time, not suffer through extreme heat and extreme cold, with only a few scattered nice days in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City