Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 10:05 PM

578 posts, read 963,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Whites began leaving DR before the Haitian Revolution. They left in order to find riches in other colonies such as Peru and Mexico. As you stated in a later post, DR and PR had similar demographics since neither "colony" had large plantation societies like Cuba or Haiti, it was pretty evenly mixed. The Haitians that did invade early on did so with the backing of the French and English (that revoloution was a crazy series of back and forth alliances). The Spaniards on the Eastern side of Hispanola didn't even leave by choice or because of the actual slave rebellion. When Toussaint L'overture captured Santo Domingo, he did it for the French. And it was the French who, in the Treaty of Basel, stated that the Spaniard inhabitants had one year to relocate. I could go on, but check out this link by Frank Moya Pons from google scholar, pg99-100 details this time period. The Dominican Republic: a national ... - Frank Moya Pons - Google Books
The French also controlled Dominican Republic from 1795 to 1809
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 10:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Peru has plenty of blacks and Afrodescendants. People often overlook them. In fact there are more blacks in Peru than there are in Trinidad and Guyana combined.
I think there are more blacks in Harlem than in Guyana. I really hate it when people jumble Trinidad and guyana into things and both have vast differences.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Just curious to know which groups have the largest Afro-Latino Population in New York Besides Afro Americans?

Which Afro Latino Group has the biggest Rep in NYC?

Afro Latino
Ecuador is more than +15% Afro-descendant.

Also keep in mind that Afro-descendant and black do NOT mean the same thing.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
thats being way to technical. but in 2010 haitians are black just like the rest of the west indies.
Since when did black and Latino become mutually exclusive?

Haitians ARE Latino/Latin.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Haitians did contribute to other latin american countries during the nineteenth century independence movements. Historically haiti is latin american, but culturally they view themselves as equals with anglo west indians. Also haitians are catholic and speak a romance language. Technicality goes much further then consideration.
I don't know. Haitians seem out of place among people from the British West Indies. Haitians can relate to both Latin America and the Caribbean. Latin America was a concept that was coined by the French and Napoleon and began with Haiti and expanded to other nations.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
That girl from Ugly Betty, America Ferrera considers herself to be an Afro-Latina. Her family is from Honduras. The Dominican girl who played Lt. Uhura on the last Star Trek movie considers herself to be "blatina." I kind of like that name. Is that a common phrase among Afro-Latin Americans?
I don't think America Ferrera identifies as Afro-Latina

Old 07-29-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I agree. I dont really see Afro colombians here in NYC, we just usually see Mestizo Colombians from slums of Bogota, Medellin, De Cali and others. Afro Colombians are situated primarily by the Carribbean coastline in a city called Cartegena, its Spanish for Carthage. Many blacks from Cartegena were imported from places such as Jamaica and Cuba.

In terms of blacks in the New World this is how it goes
1 Brazil
2 U.S.A
3 Colombia
4 Haiti
5 Dominican Republic
6 Cuba
7 Honduras
8 Jamaica

THe others I dont know
Actually Afro-Colombians can be found all throughout Colombia. And most blacks that came through the port of Cartagena de las Indias were brought in DIRECTLY from the African continent, NOT through or from Jamaica and Cuba. Another important transit port of African slaves was Panama, from Portobelo and the Camino Real to Panama City. Many African slaves also passed through Cartagena and brought directly to Darién, Panama.

Afro Colombians are not even culturally homogenous. The entire Pacific coast of Panama all the way down to Pacific Colombian coast and rim and the Pacific Ecuador coast rim and littoral shares a very strong vibrant Afro-Hispanic culture dating back to the very earliest of colonial periods. They are different from the black peoples and cultures of the Atlantic and Caribbean coasts. Places like Cartagena and Barranquilla while also being Afro-Hispanic have their own unique cultures and have more cultural mixed influences than the Pacific.

The interior has large black minority populations as well.

Afro-Colombians make up more than +33% of Colombia's population.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I think there are more blacks in Harlem than in Guyana. I really hate it when people jumble Trinidad and guyana into things and both have vast differences.
Not see where you are coming from. Never compared Trinidad with Guyana. I was just saying that Peru has more blacks than Trinidad and Guyana combined as am example.

Trinidad and Guyana have their differences. Never said they were the same.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Something interesting for you guys to note. Blacks from Cuba, Colombia, Peru, Brazil, and Haiti are different from the blacks in the Dominican Republic. The blacks in the Dominican Republic look mixed. They do not look straight out of sub-saharan Africa. This is because back during the colony days, white slave masters and black slaves in the DR had a "good" relationship. The DR was mostly cattle farming, which required cooperation from both slave and master. If you contrast this to Haiti, which was plantations, the master had absolute power over slaves. Also, Spain encouraged spanish men to mix with African women because they were losing power in Hispanola to the French, and wanted to regain some of it back. In the end result, the Dominican people, black and white (and Taino) were mixing while blacks in Cuba, Haiti, Colombia, Brazil etc ran away from their masters into their enclaves and mix with themselves, giving them a relatively unmixed look. Look at a dark Dominicans:

Google Image Result for http://explore.bradley.edu/journalsfromtheroad/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/sba_drschoolkids.jpg

Compare to Bantu from Sub-saharan Africa:

Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/Somali_bantu_children_florida.jpg

Dark Dominicans clearly show mix race, the miscagenation that occured there is clearly visible, and it has been mixing for years.
Dominican Republic had some of the earliest runaway slaves and slave rebellions in the Western Hemisphere. Many slaves escaped from very early on. Many escaped with the Tainos.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I seriously doubt she has no Haitian in her. I can't even imagine a scenario in which someone in the dr could go unmixed. Maybe unless she is from the samana peninsula which housed African Americans and other carribean blacks with no mixing whatsoever. They even speak English in samana, and is easily the darkest area in the Dominican. For reference, look at Hanley ramirez, superstar of the fl marlins and a native of samana.
African Americans are mixed. British West Indian immigrants settled San Pedro De Macoris. That's where Sammy Sosa is from

If you look up Villa Mella you'll find tons of dark skinned Dominicans that have absolutely no ties to Haiti at all. In the interior there are communities that have no connection to Haiti that are very dark and have been in the Dominican side dating back to the 1490s and early 1500s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City