Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
HA! Well there aren't many Blacks walking about in this part of Riverdale unless they're working here as a nanny or something, so I guess you would be right on that end, but the few Black people I do see here tend to be dark-skinned and not brown, but since you're around far more Blacks than me there in the Bronx, I'll have to take your word for it. When I think of "brown", I think of Hispanics, not Black people.
This quote is from the Wall Street Journal.

"Fifteen years ago, Mr. Williamson moved into an adult home in Riverdale, where he receives treatment for his schizophrenia. While he becomes angry if his brother doesn't visit and complains about the food, he generally lives a stable and happy life, Mr. Williamson said."

I'm just wondering if you aren't typing your posts from an adult home in Riverdale, in between getting treatment for psychological issues. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,950 times
So I'm crazy because I'm used to hearing the term "Brown" refer to Hispanics as opposed to Blacks? Sorry to tell you this, but black is used for a reason. If you're Black you're Black. Might as well accept it and stop with all of these names. Brown is already claimed.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 AM

402 posts, read 811,376 times
The colors of people according to children : Peach, Pink, yellow, tan, orange, brown, choclate.. (has anyone black every been referred to as a choclate man by a white child? Not in a mean way...

Old 08-07-2013, 04:04 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
HA! And you call me the racist one.

Since when telling you to wear KKK attire so we can see who you are is racist. Clearly you hate blacks so why not proudly display this?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I knew a pitch black Black American who told me he was English, Scottish, Irish and Native American! There are a number of Black Americans who claim to have all this Indian ancestry, despite having no obvious Indian features. Basically, this is self hatred and you see it throughout the Americas where you have large numbers of Blacks. Some people throughout the Caribbean bleach their skin as well. And this has been documented as well, so no need to say its specifically a Dominican thing, when there are Jamaicans, Black Americans, Trinidadians, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, among many others who are suffer from this mind set.

All true however, unlike Dominicans, they do not invent excuses. They call it what it is. Self hatred arising from a history of slavery colonialism and Jim Crow (in the USA).

A black woman is now Miss DR (universe) and this is causing great consternation amongst many Dominicans, some of whom actually claim that she looks more like Miss Haiti than like Miss DR.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Dominicans were raped by Haitians.

OK so this shows your perspective. Many people of Haitian descent, who were born in the DR, and whose parents were born in the DR have hardly been treated nicely, unless they come from affluent backgrounds.

You also need to make mention of this while you engage in your rant. The illtreatment goes two ways.

Were the DR free from bias the selection of an unambiguously black woman who wore her hair "natural" would not be a factor worthy of mention. But yet it is. Some Dominicans going as far as claiming that her selection was "political" and taht she is bound to loses. I invite them to view former Miss Universe from Trinidad & Tobago. Another who came third, might have won had she not flubbed the question.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You are projecting your own issues and thoughts on to me. I would not automatically assume that a dark skinned Hispanic person is MIXED. I REPEATEDLY said its BASED ON the PERSON's FEATURES overall, including HAIR TEXTURE.

As for racial mixing being so prevalent here, you are aware that African Americans (like other blacks for that matter) have been known to LIE about their family histories. Just as a Black Dominican may claim to be "Taino" You have plenty of Black Americans who claim lots of non Black ancestry when there is absolutely little evidence of it in many cases.

You also ignore the fact that race mixing was illegal POST SLAVERY until the 1960s. So how could there be a heavily mixed population among Black Americans. Race mixing could get you time disowned by your family (if you were white), jail, or even the killed (Black man with white woman).

And by the way, having a couple of white ancestors during slavery does not make one mixed race. Many people in this category have essentially no white features, as their "white" ancestry is practically a DROP in the bucket! Unless the person more recently had a white parent or grandparent (or other non Black parent) this is the extent mixing occurred in the US. You'd have to go back two centuries or more.

That's not very mixed.

USA Today has any interesting article on DNA testing on African Americans.

USATODAY.com - DNA rewrites history for African-Americans

It said most African Americans who claimed Native American ancestry did not test as genetically Native American. People do LIE about their family history.

30% of African Americans tested had primarily European lineage on their father's side, probably a legacy from slavery. But guess what, though a decent percentage, its FAR from the MAJORITY or EVEN HALF of African Americans.

I really don't care what people consider themselves to be, or claim to be . I care what they objectively are, and this can be proven by DNA tests.

One of the issues with DNA tests is that they might be flawed. Given that most blacks of the Diaspora who have some European ancestry get it from their father's side than it might be hidden if only their mother's female ancestors are taken into account (mitochondrial).

Other studies have estimated that up to 80% of AAs, and 20% of white Americans have Euro and Afro ancestry respectively. Maybe quite distant, so not visible.

But its obvious to most that AAs usually do not look like continental Africans, implying some degree of non African ancestry.

The argument that you are having is based on the "what do I call myself". In the USA one drop means that you are black. In Latin America one drop means that you fall into one of the scores of "mulato" categories suggesting that Denzil Washington is not black.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
There are many black Panamanians that are NOT West Indian at all. Most black Panamanians in Panama are from Spanish speaking colonial black Panamanian backgrounds. People often seem to equate blacks in Panama as being foreign English speaking from the West Indies and it has kept colonial blacks silent and hidden or swept under the rug.

There are colonial black Panamanians that have came to the states but most still remain in Panama today.

Many West Indian descent Panamanians often go to the states.

Panama was part of Colombia until 1903/1904 and 1921/1922

Reason for this is that Panamanian West Indians are more likely to describe themselves as "black" and use this as an ethnicd racial identity. AfroLatin Panamanians are less likely to do this, so the conversation around "blackness" revolves around the West Indian descent population. Indeed there are Panamanians who would have one believe that these are the only "blacks" in that country. Antillanos acount for between 10-15% of the population, becoming harder to distingush as the group assimilates more and more with each generation, and indeed many no longer speak any English.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Haitians seem out of place among people from the British West Indies. Haitians can relate to both Latin America and the Caribbean. Latin America was a concept that was coined by the French and Napoleon and began with Haiti and expanded to other nations.

Well in NYC Haitians live in neighborhoods with high Anglophone Caribbean black populations.

So I really do not know how relevant Napolean is. Are Haitians "French". when over 70% do not even speak that language, but a creole dialect with high levels of Africanisms?

Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Actually Afro-Colombians can be found all throughout Colombia. And most blacks that came through the port of Cartagena de las Indias were brought in DIRECTLY from the African continent, NOT through or from Jamaica and Cuba. Another important transit port of African slaves was Panama, from Portobelo and the Camino Real to Panama City. Many African slaves also passed through Cartagena and brought directly to Darién, Panama.

Afro Colombians are not even culturally homogenous. The entire Pacific coast of Panama all the way down to Pacific Colombian coast and rim and the Pacific Ecuador coast rim and littoral shares a very strong vibrant Afro-Hispanic culture dating back to the very earliest of colonial periods. They are different from the black peoples and cultures of the Atlantic and Caribbean coasts. Places like Cartagena and Barranquilla while also being Afro-Hispanic have their own unique cultures and have more cultural mixed influences than the Pacific.

The interior has large black minority populations as well.

Afro-Colombians make up more than +33% of Colombia's population.

Really do not know how any one can truly determine how many "blacks" live in Brazil, even if we include those who have visible levels of African ancestry.

I will argue that Brazil has fewer "blacks" than the USA.

I also suspect that the AfroColombian black population is also well under 30%, even including mulatos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City