Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 02:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Well he's Black and nothing else because he was born here with the one drop rule.
Denzel would be referred to as Black in Latin America. Or more specifically, negro, moreno, or moracho.

There are places in Latin America where Denzel could go and he'd be the darkest person around, keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
HA! LMAO! I thought you said Blacks aren't dark? I agree with you 110% though. I've seen plenty of Hispanics like that too minus the kinky hair and flat nose. Wide noses, big lips, curly hair but just not dark skinned.
I said most Blacks were varying shades of Brown, in many cases dark brown, but very few Blacks anywhere are literally Black. I did not say that Blacks aren't dark.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Many Latin Americans will wail that the USA is "racist" because denzil Washington is not called mulato, using his vagie non African ancestry as a way to escape such categorization.

Just ask any Dominican who looks like Denzil if he is "black". Interestingly some will even invent some long winded response to imply that they only have some vague African ancestry so should not be called "black".
No white or Indian, or any such person like that is going to refer to Denzel Washington as ANY other than Black.

The Dominican Republic is not all Latin America, or even most of it. Yes, you can meet a Dominican who looks like Denzel who wants to deny he's Black or of African heritage. But so what, I've known that from Black Americas . One of the Blackest dudes I ever met told me he was English, Scottish, Irish, and Native American. But that moron doesn't represent Black Americans anymore than a Dominican who looks like Denzel represents Latin America. To tell you the truth, Mr. Dominican might even suffer if he got out of the Dominican Republic and went to Latin America as a whole, where people would indeed break his delusions and remind him that he's black and of African descent.

With that said, you do have an obsession with Dominicans, don't you?

Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I said most Blacks were varying shades of Brown, in many cases dark brown, but very few Blacks anywhere are literally Black. I did not say that Blacks aren't dark.
lol... Varying shades of brown... HA! I've saw Africans that were so black that they were like purple! I've also seen Blacks from America here that were pretty dark too. And everyone tells me I don't get out much.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:37 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Well, the Brazilian version of the census bureau can collect that information. Brazil is listed to have the largest population of African descent outside of Nigeria.

As for Colombia, it went through changing demographics. As the light skinned Colombians left Colombia in large numbers, the Black Colombians didn't. Meaning the percentage of Blacks in Colombia became a lot higher . Some estimate it as high as 40%.
Colombia is very regional though. The population is not uniform through the whole country. Most of the black people are concentrated in choco, cali, and the coast.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
lol... Varying shades of brown... HA! I've saw Africans that were so black that they were like purple! I've also seen Blacks from America here that were pretty dark too. And everyone tells me I don't get out much.
The majority of Africans are brown, not pitch Black. With that said, you do indeed have Black Americans who are pitch Black just like you have some Black Africans, or other Blacks who are that color. I'd say the majority of Black Americans are dark skinned (medium to dark brown, the same color range of most Africans) with fully black features as far as hair, noses, lips, and overall facial features.

There's no way around and, therefore you cannot tell by looking at someone whether he is a Black American or an Africa. You can tell by the accent, or by names, or by dress (at times, not always).

Old 08-08-2013, 11:02 PM

578 posts, read 962,430 times
Quote:
Really do not know how any one can truly determine how many "blacks" live in Brazil, even if we include those who have visible levels of African ancestry.

I will argue that Brazil has fewer "blacks" than the USA.

I also suspect that the AfroColombian black population is also well under 30%, even including mulatos.
Afro Colombian and black do not mean the same thing. Afro-Colombian is an ETHNIC group that includes many races and race mixture combinations.

It has been documented that more than 33% of the Colombian population is of recognizable Afrodescent.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Really do not know how any one can truly determine how many "blacks" live in Brazil, even if we include those who have visible levels of African ancestry.

I will argue that Brazil has fewer "blacks" than the USA.

I also suspect that the AfroColombian black population is also well under 30%, even including mulatos.
There is no one drop rule in the USA anymore. It's all about what people choose to identify themselves as. Many ppl seem to hold onto the racist one drop rule even though it was only legally practiced in the USA from 1930 to 1967

Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
There's no such thing as race is the most nonsensical thing that's ever been said.

People of different races look different. Certain genetic characteristics tend to be more common in one race as opposed to another.

When you need a bone marrow transplant, the medical profession, if they can't get it from your family, gets it from someone as close to you as possible. Meaning someone from the same ethnic background. If the person say has a Senegalese parent and an Asian parent, they look for a bone marrow donor of the same racial/ethnic mixture to reduce the chances that the new body will reject the marrow.

So quite clearly the medical and scientific communities believe in race, as it pertains to genetics and medicine.

You even have the scientists doing dna tests to ascertain both racial and ethnic backgrounds. Biologists definitely believe in race.
Agreed. There is no such thing as race. There is actually more variations within so called races than there are between so called different races. No one can define the starting point or ending point of race or where it starts or where it begins. Diseases are not even race based.

It's more about the individual and to some extent geographical origins.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
The colors of people according to children : Peach, Pink, yellow, tan, orange, brown, choclate.. (has anyone black every been referred to as a choclate man by a white child? Not in a mean way...
Well the term brown can be vague as I've heard it used for different groups and different peoples at times. Just saying that other groups claim it at times as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City