Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And there was plenty of opposition of affirmative action in the US as well, including constitutional challenges.
True!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:01 AM

860 posts, read 1,109,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I'm curious. Is Irene Cara considered black? She is of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent and the majority of her acting roles have been of a black female. .
Irene Cara is black, looks black and considers herself black.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,532,618 times
Quote:

As noted he has faced all sorts of objections in Brazil. Was accused of being racist because he wanted to feature blacks, and has faced all sorts of opposition to being allowed to operate. The reason for this TV channel in the first place was due to the near absence of Afrodescendants in the mainstream Brazilian media. Indeed noted black Brazilians like Zeze Mota have spoken about this.

So he illustrates the issue of Brazil's refusal to discuss its racial bias.

Last edited by caribny; 12-29-2013 at 02:42 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 02:12 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
Black is usually referred to anyone of Sub Saharan West African/Central African. Yes in all technicality black is definitely a color.

Afro-descendant and black do NOT mean the same thing. They are not the same thing. Afrodescent includes blacks though. Afrodescendant refers to anyone with any varying degree of African ancestry. Black and mixed are NOT the same thing. A person can be Afrodescent without being black.

Actually ALL human beings (including so called WHITE people) on the planet are varying shades of brown believe it or not. There is only one race and that is the human race.*

Afro descendants is the more tricky definition. All of mankind is Afro-descendant. Is that not true?

Yes all of mankind originated from an East African female ancestor. However only those that remained in Africa during the migration formed the first peoples of modern day Africa. All non Africans(those that migrated out of Africa) began in what is now the region of Kerala India and they spread out from there and formed the different clusterings of populations around the world through migrations.

You've misinterpreted the point that was made. I actually refuted a statement of another person that made a false claim or claimed something that has been debunked several times by many others.

They were making their claim using the racist one drop rule theory.

There are more "declared" Afro-descendants in Brazil than there are in the USA.

But you have to realize that "race" categorizations and perceptions differ outside of the USA in some aspects, as I mentioned above.*

Also if you look at the actual census and tabulation results of Brazil you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Yes I know of Salvador da Bahia. That's not the only area of Brazil where blacks live but it's certainly known as the black Mecca of Brazil!
I was just asking for clarification because I agree with you WHOLEHEARTEDLY. Your statements are true.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
You claim that America sees and views you as "Black". Really? Do you know what all Americans think? Why define yourself by what others see you as. What do YOU choose to see yourself as?

It's 2013 baby, and you can identify however you'd like and don't have to listen to what others say. People will either hate ya or love ya. It's all about being yourself.

Now my main bone of contention with the justified use of the very PC ambiguous and often improper term of African American is that it is pigeon holing and often foreshadows one type of lumped together experience when it overlooks the various complexities and different regionalistic cultures of this nations.

For example your very own post proved my points and made my case. Based on what you are telling me, how are you African American? You don't have African American ancestors. Your African ancestors are different from the African component of traditional historic African Americans. Afro-Creoles or Afro-Louisianians and those with any roots from the Spanish and French colonial/speaking lands of the Louisiana Territory and Southwest are very different in regards to culture. Also Creole is a CULTURE. It has nothing to do with race. When people identify as Louisiana Creole it's like identifying with a nation, like if one says they are Cuban. Same difference or concept.

If you want to use the term black, that can be okay, but my point is when people throw Louisiana Creoles or even Gullahs and other peoples with unique historic cultural and ethnic histories throughout our nation into broad boxes such as white or African American etc it overlooks their/our unique differences and complexities.

If Mexico was annexed to the USA, would you or others automatically consider them to be African Americans? (especially the black populations of Mexico)? That's pretty much similar to what happened to the Louisiana Creoles and southern states and all areas outside of the 13 original colonies.

Come to think of it, why aren't even Puerto Ricans considered or viewed as African Americans?

These are all politically driven classifications.

Just one day we will all finally get a human box when ultimately that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Culture is more important in race IMHO
Again, I think we are in agreeance, just misunderstanding each other.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:05 AM

334 posts, read 454,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Irene Cara is black, looks black and considers herself black.
Do you have proof that Irene Cara considers herself to be black?

What about Rosie Perez and/or Jennifer Lopez?

Many are usually identified by their ethnic/cultural heritage of their parents and grandparents etc.

Old 03-22-2014, 02:15 PM

334 posts, read 454,484 times
The question of the OP is a bit tricky because most Latinos are Afrodescendientes. Not all Afrodescendientes are Afro Latino or identify as such. IJS

Old 03-23-2014, 10:03 AM

47 posts, read 120,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorderoAries View Post
The question of the OP is a bit tricky because most Latinos are Afrodescendientes. Not all Afrodescendientes are Afro Latino or identify as such. IJS
No offense but to say most Latinos are of African descent is very ignorant. Mexico, Central America, Peru, Argentina, Bolivia and Chile have very few blacks. Even Colombia and Venezuela are mostly Mestizo. Now if you re talking about Brazil, Panama and the Caribbean I will give you that but that is not most by any means.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaFree123456 View Post
No offense but to say most Latinos are of African descent is very ignorant. Mexico, Central America, Peru, Argentina, Bolivia and Chile have very few blacks. Even Colombia and Venezuela are mostly Mestizo. Now if you re talking about Brazil, Panama and the Caribbean I will give you that but that is not most by any means.
Upon doing broad dna tests of Mestizos from Mexico, many of them do have at least some African dna.

Also, different people have different perceptions. Meaning a mixed person might not be perceived to be of African descent by some because there are people who see pretty much just the Blackest people with the Blackest features as Black.

Mariah Carey for example is mixed race. But she looks pretty white. You actually have a lot of people like that.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:00 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Upon doing broad dna tests of Mestizos from Mexico, many of them do have at least some African dna.

Also, different people have different perceptions. Meaning a mixed person might not be perceived to be of African descent by some because there are people who see pretty much just the Blackest people with the Blackest features as Black.

Mariah Carey for example is mixed race. But she looks pretty white. You actually have a lot of people like that.
True I do find it funny at times that some people assume because a Hispanic look white it means that they don't have black blood lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City