Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 01:24 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,906,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygray View Post
Imagine a Black person hiking through Mexico
There are plenty of blacks in Mexico? I can imagine it/that and have seen it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessenia12 View Post
Wtf , you guys basically use this to hate on each other. And if you live in Queens you'd know that there's lots of Guyanese and lots of Spanish. And Guyanese women are not ugly , if you haven't noticed most Spanish women are hoes. They only want money for themselves. Guyanese women just want the best they didn't come to America to play around . So before y'all go trashing each others races think before you type some dumb offensive ****. I can't stand the "Latinos winning" thing. Not saying Guyanese are winning but what's the point of saying your race is winning? This website is irrelevant and the person behind it needs help.
What part of Queens has lots of people from Spain?

Last edited by SobreTodo; 10-21-2014 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
There are black Colombians in Cypress Hills, Brooklyn. Many are quite Sub-Saharan in terms of strong features, I would say more so on average than the black Dominican population in NYC.
Black Colombians tend to go to Queens and Manhattan. Very few go to Brooklyn. There are some Black Ecuadorians in Queens.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
Also, while I think I could easily pass for African, I think the fact that AAs aren't fully African is clear in their appearance
Well duh. Also remember that each African American varies in looks. Most AAs are mixed race!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I'm a medium to dark skinned AA, and I recently had a DNA test (well, my sister did, and I figure we have the same DNA) and found out I was 27% white and 6% Native American. I was very surprised my white ancestry was that high
Each sibling can get different ancestral results and percentages even with the 2 same parents

Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbeef View Post
I'll just add this really great documentary from a few years ago:
Black in Latin America | PBS
@amazinmets73 I think you'd like the DNA testing at the end where a brazilian woman who would be called black is actually of majority white european ancestry, DNA is an amazing thing.

And this:
Afro-Colombian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
4th largest african population in the western hemisphere. It's influence is in every aspect of our culture, Cumbia was originally an African Courting dance, Just look up the city of Buenaventura which is a mostly of African descent population.

Outside of North America racial definitions tend to be different especially in South America and Latin Caribbean, since theres so much mixture and almost everyone has a little something else in there you can't apply the USA's definitions. The British cared more about racial purity/separation and since many Spanish & Portuguese are mixed with North African (Afro-Arab)via the Moors they had no problem with mixing or darker skin.
That documentary lacked some context and nuance. Dr. Gates was capable of doing a better job!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
look at Cape Verdeans vs Ibgos in Nigeria vs Ethiopians. all in SSA but with varying phenotypes
Cape Verdes are islands that were part of Portugal/Europe until 1975. And remember that Cape Verde's population mostly consists of mulattoes. CV was said to be uninhibited until colonization began in the 1400s

Old 10-21-2014, 04:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,739 times
Yes, Cape Verde was once part of Portugal and a number of it's tenants there are of mixed ancestry. I've seen a few 'Tracey Ellis Ross' types amongst Cape Verdeans back in Worcester, Mass.

The Cape Verde national soccer team is actually doing good now. Nani who plays for Portugal and Sporting is a good example.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM

286 posts, read 353,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There's a certain amount of fiction here. While there may be many "mixed" race people, the top at the top of South America in terms of money (and those who rule the government) are white. Brazil has never had a Black president, and ironically the US has. In the Latin Caribbean you do have more mixed people with a higher percentage of white than you would in the US (after slavery racial mixing slowed down in the US, it was illegal under the Jim Crow laws). Yes, it's true in Latin America in the 20th century you weren't going to go to jail for miscegenation, unlike in the US where you could go to jail (or worse) until 1969. But this obsession with preventing miscegenation actually got a lot worse long after the British were gone (the US was independent). It had more to do with the politics that went on after the US civil war. After slavery was abolished, certain people in the Southern states were determined to restore a system that would disenfranchise Blacks as much as they possibly could.

But yes, it's a stark difference you'll see in a place like NYC, with the poor and uneducated darker Latinos, as opposed to wealthy white ones who came directly here to study at top universities and then got corporate jobs. So it seems like racial mixing was somehow minimized among the upper classes, which kept themselves disproportionately white (as represented in government, media, business, etc). It was only until the 21st century Brazil decided to do affirmative action and mandate that a certain percentage of students had to be visibly Black (students had to send in their pictures with their applications to prove that they were identifiably Black in order to qualify for an aa admission).

I should also point out in the context of Africa, Black Subsaharan Africans and the whites of North Afric (yes, they call North African Arabs white) hate each other. Islam came to Africa as conquerors, and there's a lot of racism/hatred there today. Even many Black African Muslims do not like Arabs and complain of racism.
Absolutely, the top class has always been white or whiter I just mean the bulk of the population who were poor or middle class mixed more freely, The upper class were still living by European standards. For example in my family my great grandmother came from a "whiter" wealthier family, my great grandfather was very dark dirt poor "Indio". When they were married her family completely disowned her for marrying a poor dark skinned man instead of a white man with more opportunity.

As a kid when I visited family back in my parents home country/island (My father is from PR) everyone would always talk about how white I am and how great it was but back home in Brooklyn living in a Hispanic & Black neighborhood being so white was never something positive. Once I told the black kids I was actually Latino they would stop with the white boy jokes and treat me more equal.

It's crazy to see how the whole "whiter is better" mentality spread all over the world, even in asian countries whiter is considered better. The Japanese and Chinese follow it and just look at all the top Bollywood stars and all you see is fair skin and light eyes.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 PM

286 posts, read 353,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
What part of Queens has lots of people from Spain?
There's Spanish Harlem, they speak pure Castellano there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City