Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 01:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
HA! Are you serious? There are plenty of olive skinned whites. Meanwhile I see plenty of dark-skinned Blacks walking around these days, probably even more now with so many Africans migrating here.
And most of those dark skinned Blacks are dark brown, generally. Very few are charcoal Black. There's a big difference.

And yes, most Africans are NOT charcoal Black. Most of them are brown skinned. Africans are not necessarily Blacker than Black Americans.

So yes, I'm serious. I'm Black, and I actually live among Black people in the Bronx, Mr. Riverdale. I'm sure you don't see any Black people at all, since you never leave your all white block. So I don't know why you're even commenting on Black people you never see from the safety of your all white block in Riverdale. After all, you never had any interaction with the rest of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 04:26 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And most of those dark skinned Blacks are dark brown, generally. Very few are charcoal Black. There's a big difference.

And yes, most Africans are NOT charcoal Black. Most of them are brown skinned. Africans are not necessarily Blacker than Black Americans.

So yes, I'm serious. I'm Black, and I actually live among Black people in the Bronx, Mr. Riverdale. I'm sure you don't see any Black people at all, since you never leave your all white block. So I don't know why you're even commenting on Black people you never see from the safety of your all white block in Riverdale. After all, you never had any interaction with the rest of the city.
HA! Well there aren't many Blacks walking about in this part of Riverdale unless they're working here as a nanny or something, so I guess you would be right on that end, but the few Black people I do see here tend to be dark-skinned and not brown, but since you're around far more Blacks than me there in the Bronx, I'll have to take your word for it. When I think of "brown", I think of Hispanics, not Black people.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 PM

578 posts, read 963,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Explain this logic. Who/what do you consider "Black" and Afro descendant? Black is a color....and there are few truly "Black" people in the world. Some Sub-Saharan Africans skin color is verey very dark, or "Black". Most people whom have color, whether they be of a Latino heritage or "Afro American", are different shades of brown actually.

Afro descendants is the more tricky definition. All of mankind is Afro-descendant. Is that not true?

But in the context in which I have asked you to explain, is Afro Descendant a descendant of an African? Just asking so as to be on the same train of thought as you when the statemnet was made. If so, then the U.S. is second to Brazil in Afro-descendants and the statement that you refuted is true, not false. Afro Americans are not African, but Afro-descendants just as the Afro-Brazilians. Have you been to Salvador Bahia?
Black is usually referred to anyone of Sub Saharan West African/Central African. Yes in all technicality black is definitely a color.

Afro-descendant and black do NOT mean the same thing. They are not the same thing. Afrodescent includes blacks though. Afrodescendant refers to anyone with any varying degree of African ancestry. Black and mixed are NOT the same thing. A person can be Afrodescent without being black.

Actually ALL human beings (including so called WHITE people) on the planet are varying shades of brown believe it or not. There is only one race and that is the human race.*

Afro descendants is the more tricky definition. All of mankind is Afro-descendant. Is that not true?

Yes all of mankind originated from an East African female ancestor. However only those that remained in Africa during the migration formed the first peoples of modern day Africa. All non Africans(those that migrated out of Africa) began in what is now the region of Kerala India and they spread out from there and formed the different clusterings of populations around the world through migrations.

You've misinterpreted the point that was made. I actually refuted a statement of another person that made a false claim or claimed something that has been debunked several times by many others.

They were making their claim using the racist one drop rule theory.

There are more "declared" Afro-descendants in Brazil than there are in the USA.

But you have to realize that "race" categorizations and perceptions differ outside of the USA in some aspects, as I mentioned above.*

Also if you look at the actual census and tabulation results of Brazil you'll understand what I'm talking about.

Yes I know of Salvador da Bahia. That's not the only area of Brazil where blacks live but it's certainly known as the black Mecca of Brazil!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
This statement I kinda agree with but then again I dont. I am from New Orleans, Family been here forever. We have a Creole heritage, and we know about our Indian and French Creole (White) ancestors. But America views me as "Black" because I am chocolate in complexion. But my sister is a shade darker than Vanessa Williams. I embrace my African American heritage, but also acknowledge my great great grandparents on both sides of my family who were Indian and White Creole that married Afro-Americans. People look at my family and are amazed. We range from white to dark chocolate. But thats the beauty of New Orleans. And thats why I hate the fact that African Americans are not truly defined by the powers that be. We are not "Black". There are very few "Black" colored people in the world whose skin is charcoal black. The fact that we are having this discussion in this thread is evidence. Is he PR, DR, Brazilian, Cuban, Afro-American? It seems as though the only time people give someone credit for their full racial make-up is if they are famous (if colored) or White.

Just my .02
You claim that America sees and views you as "Black". Really? Do you know what all Americans think? Why define yourself by what others see you as. What do YOU choose to see yourself as?

It's 2013 baby, and you can identify however you'd like and don't have to listen to what others say. People will either hate ya or love ya. It's all about being yourself.

Now my main bone of contention with the justified use of the very PC ambiguous and often improper term of African American is that it is pigeon holing and often foreshadows one type of lumped together experience when it overlooks the various complexities and different regionalistic cultures of this nations.

For example your very own post proved my points and made my case. Based on what you are telling me, how are you African American? You don't have African American ancestors. Your African ancestors are different from the African component of traditional historic African Americans. Afro-Creoles or Afro-Louisianians and those with any roots from the Spanish and French colonial/speaking lands of the Louisiana Territory and Southwest are very different in regards to culture. Also Creole is a CULTURE. It has nothing to do with race. When people identify as Louisiana Creole it's like identifying with a nation, like if one says they are Cuban. Same difference or concept.

If you want to use the term black, that can be okay, but my point is when people throw Louisiana Creoles or even Gullahs and other peoples with unique historic cultural and ethnic histories throughout our nation into broad boxes such as white or African American etc it overlooks their/our unique differences and complexities.

If Mexico was annexed to the USA, would you or others automatically consider them to be African Americans? (especially the black populations of Mexico)? That's pretty much similar to what happened to the Louisiana Creoles and southern states and all areas outside of the 13 original colonies.

Come to think of it, why aren't even Puerto Ricans considered or viewed as African Americans?

These are all politically driven classifications.

Just one day we will all finally get a human box when ultimately that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Culture is more important in race IMHO

Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Another interesting thing to add is that it is estimated there are more persons of Italian ancenstry reside in Brazil than the United States. Goes to show the United States is very far from a melting pot and Brazil is the true melting pot of the world.
Really? I thought Brazil had the second largest population of Italian descendants outside of Italy? I thought USA had the highest or largest Italian descent diasporic population?

Old 08-02-2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
HA! Well there aren't many Blacks walking about in this part of Riverdale unless they're working here as a nanny or something, so I guess you would be right on that end, but the few Black people I do see here tend to be dark-skinned and not brown, but since you're around far more Blacks than me there in the Bronx, I'll have to take your word for it. When I think of "brown", I think of Hispanics, not Black people.
Most of the blacks or black looking people in the Bronx tend to be Jamaicans, Ghanians, Dominicans from Dominican Republic, some Puerto Ricans especially in the Northern half of the Bronx. Once you get to South Bronx it's lots of Puerto Ricans and African Americans. It used to be all white and ethnic white back in the day. The way things change.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
The term brown can be vague though. Indians from India claim that they are the brown people then some attach brown to Mexicans, and others attach brown to biracial and multiracial peoples and mixed race etc. African Americans have claimed the term brown too.

Technically ALL human beings including so called "white" people are all varying shades of browns. LOL

Sigh. When will all humans begin to realize that there is no such thing as race. Well technically the human race is our only race for all human beings.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 AM

38 posts, read 51,037 times
i see that not many people realize that more African slaves were brought in the south of America than to the United states.
The stereotypical Mediterranean look portrayed on TV is only one look
You could a blond haired blue eyes woman she is Euro Brazilian.
A asian looking guy Brazilian also from the very large Japanese Brazilian community
Same from a very dark skinned black person you would think is from Senegal and is Brazilian too

Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Then you're blind, in addition to being a person who can't get out. Dark skinned=Dark Brown, and varying shades of brown is the color of Blacks, even Black Africans.

Old 08-03-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureOpulence View Post
The term brown can be vague though. Indians from India claim that they are the brown people then some attach brown to Mexicans, and others attach brown to biracial and multiracial peoples and mixed race etc. African Americans have claimed the term brown too.

Technically ALL human beings including so called "white" people are all varying shades of browns. LOL

Sigh. When will all humans begin to realize that there is no such thing as race. Well technically the human race is our only race for all human beings.
There's no such thing as race is the most nonsensical thing that's ever been said.

People of different races look different. Certain genetic characteristics tend to be more common in one race as opposed to another.

When you need a bone marrow transplant, the medical profession, if they can't get it from your family, gets it from someone as close to you as possible. Meaning someone from the same ethnic background. If the person say has a Senegalese parent and an Asian parent, they look for a bone marrow donor of the same racial/ethnic mixture to reduce the chances that the new body will reject the marrow.

So quite clearly the medical and scientific communities believe in race, as it pertains to genetics and medicine.

You even have the scientists doing dna tests to ascertain both racial and ethnic backgrounds. Biologists definitely believe in race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City