Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2011, 05:32 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
To be honest, she spoke ALOT of slang and much of her speech was borderline ebonics but I did hear words that were cut off, which is common in both the NY accent and the Southern accent. However she didn't fill it in with the "h" sound that New Yorkers use when cutting off their "r." Blacks say "butta," NYer's say "buttah" for butter. There were hints of a New York accent but to say it was an overall New York accent. No way! I could tell it was a black girl speaking, unlike Wendy Williams who's accent doesn't give away her ethnicity in that clip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 05:52 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
To be honest, she spoke ALOT of slang and much of her speech was borderline ebonics but I did hear words that were cut off, which is common in both the NY accent and the Southern accent. However she didn't fill it in with the "h" sound that New Yorkers use when cutting off their "r." Blacks say "butta," NYer's say "buttah" for butter. There were hints of a New York accent but to say it was an overall New York accent. No way! I could tell it was a black girl speaking, unlike Wendy Williams who's accent doesn't give away her ethnicity in that clip.
Lol what about the guy i posted. I never said blacks have a "white iri****alianetc accent" Blacks have their own distinctive "new york" accent and that was shown in both videos. And black southerners sound nothing like that

Heres an example of how the avg black man sound in the south

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYxqIt5ktMA

Skip to 1:50

Old 02-05-2011, 05:55 PM

11 posts, read 23,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
Its because the blacks in NYC are not really blacks.
Things in NYC are not always as they seem.
There was a huge conspiracy and it can all be traced back to the Koch era.
I was there and witnessed it first hand back in the days.

PM me and I will explain further.
Wow. A conspiracy theorist.

/sarcasm

Old 02-05-2011, 06:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Lol what about the guy i posted. I never said blacks have a "white iri****alianetc accent" Blacks have their own distinctive "new york" accent and that was shown in both videos. And black southerners sound nothing like that

Heres an example of how the avg black man sound in the south

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYxqIt5ktMA

Skip to 1:50
Look it's Saturday night. I've got more interesting things to do than listen to some gibberish from some black guy on you tube. Whatever dude, NY blacks sound like Brooklyn Italians or whatever nonsense you are trying to prove. I'm moving on.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:07 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Quote:
Look it's Saturday night. I've got more interesting things to do than listen to some gibberish from some black guy on you tube. Whatever dude, NY blacks sound like Brooklyn Italians or whatever nonsense you are trying to prove. I'm moving on.
Basically the point was to just listen to his accent not actually take in what he was saying. NY blacks sound like.............................NY blacks. How many times do i have to state that i never said black nyers sound exactly like white italians.

Im simply saying blacks have their own version of the NY accent, just like puerto ricans, thats completely different from the southern black accent. Why is this hard to comprehend

Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 AM

149 posts, read 261,357 times
its because more than half of nyc blacks have immigrant roots. so many afro-latinos, africans and afro-carribeans that im suprised blacks are still speak Ebonics. NYC black, nyc dont have a twang and u can tell them apart from other blacks. im from va i cant them a part from other northern blacks. to me they all sound northern and to them i sound country even though i think i dont. it is what it is. most of blacks in nyc with southern roots are leaving.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
Very true. Listen to some old west coast rap or pay attention to the speech patterns out there.

"Right Here" from one of those LA dudes might sound like RIIIIIITE HEEEEEEEAR lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
There is a western accent as well. NYer's think of it as southern but it is not. I know from visiting and spending time out west when I when I was a child and teen. It is more of a modern day cowboy accent, if you watch an old western film, or cowboy story, you will see what I'm referring to. People out west that are true natives for generations, have it very heavily. Especially in the rural areas. You start to hear in the midwest, and it gets heavier as you go west. That is really also more of what they have in Texas, when you compare that accent to the Southeast.

Last edited by reppin_the_847; 02-07-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,421,171 times
BTW, I'm pretty sure Funkmaster Flex's parents were Jamaican immigrants.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,052,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
BTW, I'm pretty sure Funkmaster Flex's parents were Jamaican immigrants.
I think they were from barbados.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 AM

44 posts, read 65,280 times
Quote:
Look, I get it, black culture hasn't made the strides and postive influences to society that Italians, Irish and Jews have made for this country. It's just sad that a person would rather distance themself from their own culture to make a particular group of that culture seem unique and special by owning the establishments of another group. It's well documented and most whites would agree that blacks have developed a unique way of speaking that is rooted from Southern slaves. If it makes you feel better to distance yourself from this and grasp on to the speech pattern of my ancestors. So be it. Whom am I to question it? My power to me.

PEACE!
To the majority of posters on this thread: O-M-G! You've got to be kidding!! Most of you have indulged this Long Island peasant in his incessant and transparent rants, while he: A) insults and derides; B) is painfully self-described; and C) banters condescendingly--all in the same breath! And many of you are none the wiser!?!? How sad. This poseur may imagine himself an arbiter of socio-cultural linguistics, and deserves pity; but I smell a cheap knock-off--easily. Ciao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City