Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times

Advertisements

dragging out words, putting an "ow" in words like all, ball, doll, etc. saying thang, etc. is a southern thing.
i don't think anybody here is confused at all. the above is definitely not street. there is no street accent.

i think some ppl are confusing accent with slang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 02:01 PM

13 posts, read 11,239 times
From my experinces, all black people sound the same.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,737,233 times
you need more experiences, then.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:34 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *SunsetSkies* View Post
From my experinces, all black people sound the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
LOL @ this exchange

I had an African-American roommate in college who had family (also African-American) who lived down south (we were in MD at the time) and she said she couldn't understand half of what any of them said.

I can see what some people are saying though. Relative to itself, the black american english accent sounds more similiar to itself (regardless of the state of origin) than it does to other English accents (white american, irish, scottish, etc.).

Also, Latino accents (from Latin American Spanish speaking countries) sound more similiar in English regardless of the country the Latino is actually from.

That being said, slight tweaks as well as grammar can tell you if a person comes from where you grew up. I can go up or down a state and tell if another person came from my state, based solely on grammar and word usage, if they're speaking freely and not trying to sound uber-professional or formal.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

I can see what some people are saying though. Relative to itself, the black american english accent sounds more similiar to itself (regardless of the state of origin) than it does to other English accents (white american, irish, scottish, etc.).
Thats ridiculous. Of course a scootish person would sound different from an rish person. Two different nationalities. Its like comparing a black american accent, to a african accent, to a caribbean accent etc. They all sound different from each other........but they all black lol

Old 02-10-2011, 04:30 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times
To me AA in NYC sound more like Italians and Irish than they do southern/midwestern/western AA.

I think it's a mixture of both in a way, but I could hear the NY in them.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:33 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Thats ridiculous. Of course a scootish person would sound different from an rish person. Two different nationalities. Its like comparing a black american accent, to a african accent, to a caribbean accent etc. They all sound different from each other........but they all black lol
What I'm saying is American black folk all sound more like each other than they do they're respective states. A few exceptions like NYC notwithstanding.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
What I'm saying is American black folk all sound more like each other than they do they're respective states. A few exceptions like NYC notwithstanding.
I would say the northeast overall has a different sound than the rest of the states

Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM

13 posts, read 11,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
I've had enough. Blacks speak in Ebonics, which is not even proper English in the first place.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *SunsetSkies* View Post
I've had enough. Blacks speak in Ebonics, which is not even proper English in the first place.
yes all blacks speak ebonics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City