Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM

69 posts, read 156,264 times

Advertisements

Yea, it is commonly referred to as SoHo
It is a big retail area.
Personally I hate that area lol, packed with tourists, how ever you should visit it and judge for yourself.
Once you get away from the tourist packed area it is quite nice, head over to Katz deli(Nice Kosher place) on West Houston st and then walk around Little Italy(lots of tourists), Chinatown is packed with just many folks lots of stuff to buy and eat there on the cheap.

However Columbia is quite far from downtown Manhattan so be prepared to spend a few hours once you reach soho.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:27 PM

69 posts, read 156,264 times
Also, the Upper West Side is jam packed with great architecture(If you didn't know Columbia is located in Morning Side Heights which borders UWS, Harlem, Washington Heights and Central Park)
Central Park is great all year around.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 PM

98 posts, read 97,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
Thank you for the replies. I do not know much about East New York but NYC is a safe city in general. Not once have I ever felt uncomfortable, I think it is just that some people feel uncomfortable in very urban areas thinking that someone is going to steal something from them, I think i will be fine I am just worried about the daily commutes.

And no it's not social work or psychology it is a property management company that will hire me as an assistant, no one else will take the job and it is only part time (4 pm-8pm). I am required to speak with tenants, help with customer service, and inspect rental properties for any obvious damages or other issues.
Major commute from Columbia to East New York and I know you've heard this already...it's rough over in ENY...

Old 02-22-2011, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,662 times
You will be good man don't freak out, Just be formal to everyone and its good to be talkative but not too much, make some new friend and arrange time to hang out with them. New york is the city where most of the people are native and live there life happily Manhattan will be a safe place for new comers. I am also form Texas and live there for a while I love the city. Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 08:53 AM

59 posts, read 130,958 times
Default Don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
... I was wondering if I would "fit in" NYC?
It's a stupid city, why would you want to "fit in"? When you get older, you will understand that trying to "fit in" is the worst way to waste your time and efforts. Instead, find a place that satisfies your requirements, you will be happier and more productive. New York is obviously not for you, don't even think coming here unless you want to live four miserable years.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:25 PM

29 posts, read 100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBound1 View Post
It really is simple- you have to decide if you want to stay in Arkansas post-graduation or if you want to branch out. The degree from The University of Arkansas will probably only be of real value locally, whereas a Columbia degree is respected no matter where you go. You are limiting your options if you opt out of Columbia. Also, you need to be sure (especially in this economy) that your major should you attend University of Arkansas will translate well into the local job market. Please do not discredit this advice, it is simply the advice I wish someone had given me when I was young.
I won't add much to this conversation, but I wanted to touch on this. I attended the University of Arkansas (main campus in Fayetteville). I graduated in 2005 with my BSBA for Finance. My degree was good enough, then, to get offers to several Fortune 500 companies and consulting firms. I took a job in Texas (close to home) and have been here for going on 5 years now. I'm no millionaire, but I make a very good living given the area I'm in. Unfortunately, the social aspect of my life is lacking and I will be moving to NYC within the next 3 months. Every job I've been offered for NYC has a starting salary exceeding $100K. The job I am taking starts at $126K.

I don't say all of this just to brag (if you can call it that) about my salary. I'm simply saying that my degree has not been an impediment to my success. Would I have had more success had I gone to an Ivy League school? Probably. But it's not like I'm struggling here. The way some people in this thread are dismissing the U of A is a bit frustrating. It's not Columbia, but it's not a community college. The business school is actually quite good.

With all of that said, I would never condone someone choosing a state school over Ivy League unless they had financial restrictions. With a scholarship in play, it's a no-brainer. I definitely envy OP's position, but doors CAN be opened without an Ivy League education. Especially when we're just talking about Bachelor's degrees.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:59 PM

288 posts, read 566,825 times
I am always very surprised when people write that you need at least 100k to live a good life in NYC. No one I know makes even half that. And we all have a blast and go out all the time, and don't have to cut back on much. Off Topic but I wanted to say that.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:26 PM

769 posts, read 2,052,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleOce View Post
I won't add much to this conversation, but I wanted to touch on this. I attended the University of Arkansas (main campus in Fayetteville). I graduated in 2005 with my BSBA for Finance. My degree was good enough, then, to get offers to several Fortune 500 companies and consulting firms. I took a job in Texas (close to home) and have been here for going on 5 years now. I'm no millionaire, but I make a very good living given the area I'm in. Unfortunately, the social aspect of my life is lacking and I will be moving to NYC within the next 3 months. Every job I've been offered for NYC has a starting salary exceeding $100K. The job I am taking starts at $126K.

I don't say all of this just to brag (if you can call it that) about my salary. I'm simply saying that my degree has not been an impediment to my success. Would I have had more success had I gone to an Ivy League school? Probably. But it's not like I'm struggling here. The way some people in this thread are dismissing the U of A is a bit frustrating. It's not Columbia, but it's not a community college. The business school is actually quite good.

With all of that said, I would never condone someone choosing a state school over Ivy League unless they had financial restrictions. With a scholarship in play, it's a no-brainer. I definitely envy OP's position, but doors CAN be opened without an Ivy League education. Especially when we're just talking about Bachelor's degrees.
The economy is way different now than in 2005. I graduated in 2006 and I also got offers from several Fortune 500s without a degree from a top business school. But now employers are much more demanding, especially for entry level positions with no experience required. And while you did well with that degree, you are probably an exception. How many people that graduated with you from Arkansas are making $126k now in finance?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 PM

29 posts, read 100,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
The economy is way different now than in 2005. I graduated in 2006 and I also got offers from several Fortune 500s without a degree from a top business school. But now employers are much more demanding, especially for entry level positions with no experience required. And while you did well with that degree, you are probably an exception. How many people that graduated with you from Arkansas are making $126k now in finance?
I actually applied for NY jobs out of college, but got very little interest. It appears that my experience has made the difference.

I have no idea what my fellow grads have been able to achieve, but I doubt many make over $100K. Then again, most of them remain in the south where I can't command $100k either.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:30 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,118,086 times
I'm speechless. A full scholarship to Columbia and turning it down because you don't like white people or hispanics or gays. So sad. But then, perhaps the mind isn't truly open, opening just for book learning not for acceptance of others or of other ways. Spouting as fact erroneous assumptions about the costs of life in the big mean city such as 7 thousand a month rents are not the sign of someone intelligent enough to have gotten a full scholarship into an ivy league college. Perhaps we are dealing with a split personality rather than an intelligent young woman.

OPEN your mind, child. Let the sun in, let diversity in, let in new experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City