Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times

Advertisements

Will I lose some IQ points if I read this thread? Someone save me the trouble before I start on page 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I gave you a rep. I was gonna come here and say the same thing. Racism is racism. Also, I'm sure this won't be classed as a hate crime since the victim is Caucasian. Typical bullcrap.

"The case is being investigated by detectives, but has not been assigned to the NYPD hate crimes task force because cops are unsure if the suspects were motivated by bias, sources said."

GIVE ME A DAMN BREAK. IF IT WAS FOUR WHITE MALES WHO ASSAULTED A BLACK MALE, IT WOULD AUTOMATICALLY BE CLASSED AS A HATE CRIME AND WOULD BE ALL OVER THE NEWS. GOD THESE DOUBLE STANDARDS ARE DISGUSTING.
Yes, racism IS racism. As you pointed out, the double standard IS disgusting. Using the term 'reverse racism' sheds light on the fact that it is not being treated the same.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, racism IS racism. As you pointed out, the double standard IS disgusting. Using the term 'reverse racism' sheds light on the fact that it is not being treated the same.
The actual "reverse" of racism is liking everybody lol. To use the term "reverse racism" is actually a double negative.
Which shows how crazy it is that a thread gets to 18 pages over an incorrectly used term.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
It's not racism. It's kids being stupid. If you're white and stupid enough to move to harlem or bed stuy you should expect this. Be glad yyou're not raped and robbed.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,372,483 times
el77 yet another dumb statement. So basically what you are saying is if you are black or hispanic and moved into white neighborhoods, expect to be attacked, and on top of that, be glad you are not raped and robbed. Really? This is the same attitude people of color dealt with in the 50s and 60s when they moved in to places "they didn't belong" and were in fact, beaten, raped and robbed. They should not have been stupid enough to move to these places in the first place according to you, so they deserved it.

Thanks for promoting ignorance..you are doing a great job! Keep up the great work.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:33 AM

448 posts, read 685,146 times
Why did this thread make it to 18 pages? And why are you idiots still in here arguing about it?

Wait. Why am I even in here?

*exits*

Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM

224 posts, read 1,084,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
It's not racism. It's kids being stupid. If you're white and stupid enough to move to harlem or bed stuy you should expect this. Be glad yyou're not raped and robbed.

Are you for real, bro??? Wow!!!! First of all, we do not live in Iraq, nobody regardless of where they are from should expect to be "Robbed" or "raped", are you a sick person? Secondly, I am a native 4th generation NYer, Bronx born and raised, I could most likely say, my family has been here longer then and has more roots here then YOURS Does, your racist is so despeciable. You may not like Hipsters or Yuppies, but you do not make a stupid, disrespectful statement like that. That is why people are racist, your proving you are an animal. Thirdly, the guy who was robbed was neither, he was a White guy who was from The Bronx and was actually from here(born raised), they called him CRACKER, WHITE BOY, HONKY, kids dont do that. When I was a kid, i didnt go around calling people the s word or n word, did i? maybe in a fist fight when I was in high school, but i knew how to respect people on the train. That is pure ignorance and racism here. You sir, have proven you have a good amount in you as well. I have to much of a life, to be a racist, maybe you should focus on more important things in life instead of hating white people.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM

337 posts, read 968,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolchris4000b View Post
Are you for real, bro??? Wow!!!! First of all, we do not live in Iraq, nobody regardless of where they are from should expect to be "Robbed" or "raped", are you a sick person? Secondly, I am a native 4th generation NYer, Bronx born and raised, I could most likely say, my family has been here longer then and has more roots here then YOURS Does, your racist is so despeciable. You may not like Hipsters or Yuppies, but you do not make a stupid, disrespectful statement like that. That is why people are racist, your proving you are an animal. Thirdly, the guy who was robbed was neither, he was a White guy who was from The Bronx and was actually from here(born raised), they called him CRACKER, WHITE BOY, HONKY, kids dont do that. When I was a kid, i didnt go around calling people the s word or n word, did i? maybe in a fist fight when I was in high school, but i knew how to respect people on the train. That is pure ignorance and racism here. You sir, have proven you have a good amount in you as well. I have to much of a life, to be a racist, maybe you should focus on more important things in life instead of hating white people.
You missed the point. I was implying that people are too quick to scream racism. A white person living in harlem or bed stuy should expect stuff like that from kids. If you don't like it, move to another area. They are obviously there for a reason whether it be to score weed or whatever. If these were grown men or women it would be different. I saw an incident while switching for the 4 train at 125th st. A group of black and spanish kids were calling two white guys names and joking. They guys could have went upstairs and got a cop but they laughed it off. They understood this is what they shoud expect considering the area. No, it's not ok to be racist but lets not get carried away.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:42 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
First, it has certainly never been my experience that white people "get carried away" identifying racism. Most white people are afraid to identify racism, having been taught that it is not possible for a person of color to be a racist, something that is supported by white guilt. These ideas are based on long-defunct political models of interpretation, and most people are not smart enough to re-think them (or even realize the necessity).

Second, there is far too much acceptance of the unacceptable in areas like Harlem, for example. This tacit or even blatant acceptance is intolerable and destructive. People who know better need to speak up, and loudly, about a great number of things. This of course necessitates an understanding that people can do better, which many people lack - the real racism, ironically.

You have expressed that quite well yourself.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Does anyone actually know what New York was like for the poor in the 1890s ?

Jacob Riis ? Check it out. He photographed the Irish population frequently.

Or what it is like in other countries right now ?

At this point in time, in this country, here is no reason for people to live the way they do except choice. The ghetto is unnecessary, and we should hold people accountable for their choices because they visit these on their children as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City