Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 AM

84 posts, read 144,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's not the hipsters doing it--it's the real estate developers. Those are actually two different groups of people. Italians in East Williamsburg were there earlier and some didn't like it when Puerto Ricans first moved in--do you think they should have been more aggressive in trying to make things harder for their new neighbors back then?

Your scenario of rebellious (rebellious? do you even know what the word means?) hipsters is too silly. The hipsters are setting Puerto Rican flags on fire on streets signs on fire all around the community? Even if they did do so to the Armenian flag, I'd prefer everything went through the court of law and the individuals responsible were put on trial rather than an entire group of people (because that would be ridiculous and racist--sort of the kind of ridiculousness where someone like Ariel Castro is Puerto Rican with a Puerto Rican flag waving outside his house, therefore we should claim all Puerto Ricans are monstrous kidnapping rapists--sounds ridiculous right?).
The legal route is another effective way to defend ourselves. That's a great idea, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 10:56 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
Hipsters have a divide and conquer mentality. They are not in East Williamsburg to be welcomed as tenants, neighbors and consumers, they are in East Williamsburg to divide and conquer only for themselves (They're trying to convert East Williamsburg into a Hipster Headquarters, 99.9% population).
I've been following this guy's posts and while I don't agree with most of what he says (no disrespect my man, I'm PR too but you've made some outrageous statements on here)... This part in bold I do feel holds weight with a lot of people who may or may not identify as hipsters... I've often said that I'd rather deal with someone whose racist outright than many of these folk because at least I know where the racist or prejudice person stands whereas too many hipsters that I've dealt with claim to be cool with black and Spanish folk and yet on the streets in certain areas of East Williamsburg where they have become the dominant presence, you hear snide remarks about those same people that clearly show a different opinion. It's why I don't understand the whole idea of moving into a majority Spanish or Black hood in the first place... If you truly harbor such negative feelings and only claim otherwise as a façade, then why move to an area where most of the time you'll see the negative side of what these two groups of people have to offer...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:59 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
I've been following this guy's posts and while I don't agree with most of what he says (no disrespect my man, I'm PR too but you've made some outrageous statements on here)... This part in bold I do feel holds weight with a lot of people who may or may not identify as hipsters... I've often said that I'd rather deal with someone whose racist outright than many of these folk because at least I know where the racist or prejudice person stands whereas too many hipsters that I've dealt with claim to be cool with black and Spanish folk and yet on the streets in certain areas of East Williamsburg where they have become the dominant presence, you hear snide remarks about those same people that clearly show a different opinion. It's why I don't understand the whole idea of moving into a majority Spanish or Black hood in the first place... If you truly harbor such negative feelings and only claim otherwise as a façade, then why move to an area where most of the time you'll see the worst that these two groups of people have to offer...
Good question. Maybe they like the idea of coming in and "conquering", similar to the way the Spanish did back in the old days.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
Does East Williamsburg exist or is it a real estate tactic to attract white people? I always called that area Bushwick.
According to the NYC census map (link below), there is an East Williamsburg NTA. For Bushwick, this city government site actually considers it to run all the way up to the area around Graham and Grand (not stopping at the BK CB 4 and 83rd precinct border). So I guess the city acknowledges Roberta's to be in Bushwick and not East Williamsburg. Many would consider the Bushwick/East Williamsburg border to be at Flushing ave where the community board and precinct ends, not where the school district ends. Wonder how this site drew the line for that border during the 2000 census?

Census FactFinder - NYC Department of City Planning

Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Check out Google maps. They don't even recognize ave of the Puerto Rico. They have graham as via vespucci all the way down to flushing ave. Should try to get that changed.
Avenue of Puertorico is a recognized avenue on the Google map within Graham Avenue by the way.

Just click on the link below & click on the + icon to zoom in the map and view:
415 Graham Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11211 - Google Maps

Old 06-17-2013, 11:30 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Avenue of Puertorico is a recognized avenue on the Google map within Graham Avenue by the way.

Just click on the link below & click on the + icon to zoom in the map and view:
415 Graham Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11211 - Google Maps
I see that now. You have to zoom in a little and then all three names appear.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:
I've been following this guy's posts and while I don't agree with most of what he says (no disrespect my man, I'm PR too but you've made some outrageous statements on here)... This part in bold I do feel holds weight with a lot of people who may or may not identify as hipsters... I've often said that I'd rather deal with someone whose racist outright than many of these folk because at least I know where the racist or prejudice person stands whereas too many hipsters that I've dealt with claim to be cool with black and Spanish folk and yet on the streets in certain areas of East Williamsburg where they have become the dominant presence, you hear snide remarks about those same people that clearly show a different opinion. It's why I don't understand the whole idea of moving into a majority Spanish or Black hood in the first place... If you truly harbor such negative feelings and only claim otherwise as a façade, then why move to an area where most of the time you'll see the negative side of what these two groups of people have to offer...
Much of that discrepancy you see is due to this being not any single individual person or a group with some kind of unified agenda. It's hard for it to be hypocrisy or a facade when it isn't actually the same people. It's a similar situation between your posts and those of hablodecorazon--you make good points whereas hablodecorazon has made claims without much evidence (and often in the evidence of the contrary which he dismisses). However, he makes claims as if speaking for PRs as a group while there are certainly PRs who would probably distance themselves from him.

Tangential to this topic: there's a great post going around the Asia subforum where one user keeps on ranting about anime and how proud he is as an Asian person. It's downright embarrassing what's being said but he says it as if he's doing it on behalf of all Asians. As an Asian person, I would prefer he be punted in the balls.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Whether you Puertorican or not, I don't mean any disrespect by replying to your comment but how you gonna claim online that you Puertorican and post everything negative about your own people and about yourself as a Puertorican ("If you truly harbor such negative feelings and only claim otherwise as a façade, then why move to an area where most of the time you'll see the negative side of what these two groups of people have to offer")? See, low self-esteem is one of the main self enemies of the Puertoricans in NYC. How you gonna disagree with a true 100% Boriqua that's online representing the Puertorican flag to the fullest, all of the Puertorican communities in NYC and all of the Puertorican's positive attributes as a nation and you Puertorican yourself? (Talking about some hipsters that want to violate all of us by dropping one of our street signs in East Williamsburg speak to you about being cool and that their presence is dominant in East Williamsburg). Be honest, is you a Puertorican Hipster? And if you is, you rather get associated with the hipster culture than with your own people? You should be ashamed of yourself, no disrespect my brother. Don't continue to live your life like that because if you do, you will always feel inferior about being Puertorican and you'll always have self-defeat and no confidence in your life and in any goal that you want to accomplish and/or maintain in life as well. Please don't feel bad because there are alot of our brothers/sisters that think inferior like yourself due to the predicaments, humiliations and discriminations that we all are suffering and suffered in NYC for decades.

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-17-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 11:59 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,608 times
Quote:
Whether you Puertorican or not, I don't mean any disrespect by replying to your comment but how you gonna claim online that you Puertorican and post everything negative about your own people and about yourself as a Puertorican ("If you truly harbor such negative feelings and only claim otherwise as a façade, then why move to an area where most of the time you'll see the negative side of what these two groups of people have to offer")? See, low self-esteem is one of the main self enemies of the Puertoricans in NYC. How you gonna disagree with a true 100% Boriqua that's online representing the Puertorican flag to the fullest, all of the Puertorican communities in NYC and all of the Puertorican's positive attributes as a nation and you Puertorican yourself? (Talking about some hipsters that want to violate all of us by dropping one of our street signs in East Williamsburg are cool with us). Be honest, is you a Puertorican Hipster? And if you is, you rather defend the hipster culture than your own people? You should be ashamed of yourself, no disrespect my brother. Don't continue to live your life like that because if you do, you will always feel inferior about being Puertorican and you'll always have self-defeat and no confidence in your life and in any goal that you want to accomplish and/or maintain in life as well. Please don't feel bad because there are alot of our brothers/sisters that think inferior like yourself due to the predicaments, humiliations and discriminations that we all suffered in NYC for decades.

Did you read anon1's post?! Dude was, actually, agreeing with you.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I see that now. You have to zoom in a little and then all three names appear.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City