Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 02:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
As far as the racial references - I don't know quite how to respond, apart from the fact that it's sad that bad and black automatically go together in many people's minds. I actually don't know this area well, but I do know Woodlawn quite well (Bluedog's suggestion). It's a nice neighborhood, but the people who I know who live there say that parking is very tight, particularly if you're coming home late. It's surprising, since Woodlawn is mostly houses with driveways, but I doubt you'd have an easy time finding on-street parking there late in the evening.
Even middleclass black niegborhoods wuch as wakefield coop city, Canarsie, St Albans, Laurlton and cambria are all considered bad areas because of gun play as usual. I do agree though that any thing that goes with black has to be bad. As for carpenter 227 that area is not a good area, its mostly hispanic with long standing African American population, the area is full of tenenments with most of the tenents being section8 Dominicans and and Black Americans. I have some family in this area and most of the times it can get worse then the areas of the South Bronx. By Bronx Boulevard the park is nice but you have to watch out sometimes for foxes and Raccoons. I have a family who live on 222nd street and the corner of white plains road, the area is a drug bazzar which is fueled by Jamaican and dealers east of white plains road and by Dominicans west of west of white plains Road by carpenter. Four weeks ago on carpenter avenue a guy was killed because he defended his brother who was getting jumped over a cellphone. A group of five thugs attacked and his brother and the victim ran over to help his brother and was shot and killed all the youths. A few months ago a Dominican guy bouned for College was killed by his building near Carpenter avenue. I have a cousin and some locals in that area wanna kill him too. Its so bad that when criminals commit acts in that area, that they bound planes for Jamaica, DR and the South and wait there notirerity to go down. To the op, your better off moving somewhere else, hell your even better off living in parts of the South Bronx compared to Williamsbridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
That area sounds pretty bad, and if it's mostly black you can expect a daily routine of racial harrassment walking around there if you're white.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Even middleclass black niegborhoods wuch as wakefield coop city, Canarsie, St Albans, Laurlton and cambria are all considered bad areas because of gun play as usual. I do agree though that any thing that goes with black has to be bad. As for carpenter 227 that area is not a good area, its mostly hispanic with long standing African American population, the area is full of tenenments with most of the tenents being section8 Dominicans and and Black Americans. I have some family in this area and most of the times it can get worse then the areas of the South Bronx. By Bronx Boulevard the park is nice but you have to watch out sometimes for foxes and Raccoons. I have a family who live on 222nd street and the corner of white plains road, the area is a drug bazzar which is fueled by Jamaican and dealers east of white plains road and by Dominicans west of west of white plains Road by carpenter. Four weeks ago on carpenter avenue a guy was killed because he defended his brother who was getting jumped over a cellphone. A group of five thugs attacked and his brother and the victim ran over to help his brother and was shot and killed all the youths. A few months ago a Dominican guy bouned for College was killed by his building near Carpenter avenue. I have a cousin and some locals in that area wanna kill him too. Its so bad that when criminals commit acts in that area, that they bound planes for Jamaica, DR and the South and wait there notirerity to go down. To the op, your better off moving somewhere else, hell your even better off living in parts of the South Bronx compared to Williamsbridge.
All useful information - it certainly sounds like the OP would not want to live there, but again, I don't comment on or make judgements about areas that I don't know much about. The poster who basically said don't move there because it's very very very black, providing no other information, seemed silly.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:38 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Hate to be the PC police but why do people feel the need to bring the racial component into things? Just say its a crummy nabe or that its dangerous.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:28 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,406 times
More evidence by the comments in this thread that NYC is a mostly segregated city..

Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
When you enter the 6 train at E59th street you are in the seventh richest congressional district in the nation. About 18 minutes and 9 stops later you are in the poorest.

Harlem, Washington Heights and Mott Haven make up one of the largest racially segregated concentrations of poor people in our nation.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:44 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
When you enter the 6 train at E59th street you are in the seventh richest congressional district in the nation. About 18 minutes and 9 stops later you are in the poorest.

Harlem, Washington Heights and Mott Haven make up one of the largest racially segregated concentrations of poor people in our nation.
Yeah I pointed out before if you check the census there's one tract in the Upper East Side with a medium income of around $250,000 and directly above it is one that's barely above $20,000.

Even when you drive around the city you notice it, one time my friend dropped me off and went the wrong way down Cooper Avenue and ended up in Bushwick 5 minutes later, he was surprised my house was so close to a ghetto.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
It's not really mostly Hispanic with a long-standing Black population: It's kind of the opposite. There are more Hispanics as you go further south.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
More evidence by the comments in this thread that NYC is a mostly segregated city..
It actually isn't that segregated, when you think about it. Overall, you don't see a whole lot of areas that are 90% White, Black, Hispanic, or Asian. It's more mixed that that. You might have an area that's mostly Black and Hispanic, or mostly White and Hispanic, but overall, there aren't a whole bunch of all-Black or all-White neighborhoods. There are many more in other cities, such as Detroit.

For example, you may think of Brownsville as a mostly Black neighborhood, but it actually has a decent-sized Hispanic population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post

See my comment above.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:15 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
In case anyone cares about facts,the neighborhood the OP originally asked about is 61% Black,27% Hispanic,9% Asian,2% other,1% White.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It's not really mostly Hispanic with a long-standing Black population: It's kind of the opposite. There are more Hispanics as you go further south.

See my comment above.
Bingo. I don't know where Guyanese gets that the area is mostly Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City