Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times

Advertisements

Apparently, some of us can get along. And others can't (or won't).

Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,634,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
I think it's a reasonable question considering the way American cities are today and how often whites are targeted. You can be offended all you want, but it's a person basic human right to be able to feel safe without fear of being targeted, harrassed, intimidated, threatened, mugged, raped, murdered, etc. Then again, most black people are going to be offended at anything & everything whites do or say, no matter what... (what else is new...?) But if you want to be angry at someone, be angry at the black hoodlums who create the grim realities that drive people to ask such questions... ('is it safe for white people to....')
So you judge a white person for wanting to make sure they are safe...??? Wow.... Guess we have to just 'keep our mouths shut' at all times, judging by your rules... And if you deny that there is a huge problem with black thugs targeting people (often whites), then you are truly blind my friend.....

Besides... black folks ask questions all the time related to their skin color- (just look on this website: 'as a black person, would i feel welcome in such & such a town? ...etc...) so doesn't THAT offend you too...?

If not, why not........????
In my opinion (and I'm white) and as the OP expressed, the problem with the original question "is it safe for a white person..." is what the question implies about non-whites (that they are uncivilized and lying in wait for white people to do them harm). I think that perpetuating these stereotypes is a problem because by and large, positions of power are still occupied by whites, despite having a multi-racial president. The more these stereotypes are re-enforced, the more likely that some white person, who has a job/apartment to fill will not give it to the person of color because they have a negative view of the entire race.

I've lived in a majority non-white area for years (7), and not once have I been harassed. Do you speak from experience, living in a mostly non-white area yourself, or are you just repeating what you've heard and watching too much TV? The question "is it safe for a white person" is silly. Name one area of the city that is dangerous only for white people.

The Times had an article a while back about how many white people feel that racism against them is increasing. I can't find it, but here's another source to the same study: Study: Whites say they face more racism than blacks | The Raw Story

This is ridiculous and baseless. The recession has been very difficult for all people, but it's been way worse for people of color, and sure much of it is due to prejudice of the person doing the hiring. Being white still gives people a certain advantage in searching for a job and apartment--that's the truth so stop whining.

Last edited by yodel; 09-15-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,747 times
Bssss..... Never !!!! Sorry my Lord but!! White always make themsefelfs víctims of everthing just to get reputation, they complain so much about others races just to enforce some stupid laws, (hate crime) lol..see I'm tired of this post!! Is like a playground. The real talk the more we hurt simple !!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:09 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,144,220 times
"Dear Forum,
I am moving to NY from outside Chicago. I am a 27 year old black female. My potential roommate found us a place in Bushwick near the Halsey stop. Is it safe for me, as a 27 year old black female?"

Answer:
You are NOT allowed to say your race when you ask if an area is safe. Go back and re-read the rules of the forum. If you EVER mention your race again in conjunction with moving here and asking whether an area is safe, 100 people will yell at you. Remember this and NEVER do it again.

Oh wait, you said you're black? Oh, sorry, yeah, it's ok to ask if you're black. Just if you're white you are not allowed. Thanks.
--Forum

Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 AM

288 posts, read 566,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
"Dear Forum,
I am moving to NY from outside Chicago. I am a 27 year old black female. My potential roommate found us a place in Bushwick near the Halsey stop. Is it safe for me, as a 27 year old black female?"

Answer:
You are NOT allowed to say your race when you ask if an area is safe. Go back and re-read the rules of the forum. If you EVER mention your race again in conjunction with moving here and asking whether an area is safe, 100 people will yell at you. Remember this and NEVER do it again.

Oh wait, you said you're black? Oh, sorry, yeah, it's ok to ask if you're black. Just if you're white you are not allowed. Thanks.
--Forum
So true.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City