Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times

Advertisements

You also have to account for deaths in the change in the PR population and that the birth rate among other Hispanic groups is higher. The change in numbers isn't completely represented in who is moving in and out, or staying put.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:30 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
SuperMario: This post is so immature, that it makes me laugh out loud. You have such an intense hate of Puerto Ricans. Did anyone of them do you in? I bet it was a woman...... Your hate shows so blatanly.....

Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are Caribbean neighbors, and one group is equal to the other. Both groups should join hands against the inequalities perpetrated by the other groups, so please stop trying to put the Puerto Ricans down. Many of them have move on, and made good lives for themselves in other cities, as well as here in NYC, and many have become professionals, doctors, lawyers, etc. Accept the fact that they have been here longer, were discriminalized by other groups, learned their lessons, and put them to good use........
We already went through this and we were good on this topic if you kept reading... agree with your point but lets not rehash this part of the thread is all i'm saying...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
You also have to account for deaths in the change in the PR population and that the birth rate among other Hispanic groups is higher. The change in numbers isn't completely represented in who is moving in and out, or staying put.
Too much common sense in this post... It goes beyond some people...

Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
For what it's worth,I have a few native Bx PR colleagues who moved out of NYC in the 90's( to PA ,NJ and upstate) who are now all moving back to The Bx.They have decided that the grass wasn't as green as they thought and are sick of 2 hour commutes.
I agree. The NYC area has a solid economy. The millenials desire urban areas. Puerto Ricans are very socioeconomically diverse. I can't prove this but I also feel they are more likely to mix then other groups. Very adaptable to different types of neighborhoods. Considering most PRs have tie to the city I feel the closest migration trend they will follow are the Italians. At the same time I feel many would prefer to be urban.

I would still like to see data on population changes im Manhattan south of Harlem.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,382,695 times
Anon there is no doubt that the big movement out of NYC has slowed, as the economy has slowed. Nonetheless, the slowdown is just a short-term trend....PRs are continuing to leave the city, and the 2020 census will show the trend continuing, and the Central Florida population will surpass NYC's (if it hasn't done so already). For the record I would say about 1/4 of my family is still here, 1/4 in PA, 1/4 in Florida, and the remainder in PR or elsewhere....while in the 1950s through 80s they were all in NYC. During the 90s and 2000s they all started leaving. Anecdotal, but typical to what has been occuring according to the stats.

Kiddo I will agree that PRs are the ultimate mixer..they go with everything, which is what being PR is all about. It is rarely the case that I ever hear someone saying "You have to marry a PR"...that just sounds weird even saying that. I think culturally our goal is to mix...wherever we are.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Anon there is no doubt that the big movement out of NYC has slowed, as the economy has slowed. Nonetheless, the slowdown is just a short-term trend....PRs are continuing to leave the city, and the 2020 census will show the trend continuing, and the Central Florida population will surpass NYC's (if it hasn't done so already). For the record I would say about 1/4 of my family is still here, 1/4 in PA, 1/4 in Florida, and the remainder in PR or elsewhere....while in the 1950s through 80s they were all in NYC. During the 90s and 2000s they all started leaving. Anecdotal, but typical to what has been occuring according to the stats.
Oh ok... I didn't realize you were the sole representation of all Puerto Ricans in this city... I change my mind then... We are all leaving and we're not coming back... Thanks for letting me know... When do you think I should move?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:02 PM

I would say I am stereotypical, yes, for better or worse. As for when you should move, you must first get your section 8 voucher approved to transfer to another state. Then we can discuss a timeframe. =)

Old 04-09-2012, 03:25 PM

From a presentation I attended on changing demographics, I learned that the 2000 - 2010, Puerto Rican migration was mainly local. When Puerto Ricans moved, it was mainly within NYC, to different neighborhoods, including South Brooklyn, Staten Island, the Rockaways, and Queens, east of Bushwick. That's not to say that there wasn't a percentage moving to other places, including FL, LI, PA, NJ, Rockland, etc. but it was not the majority.

Also, the Puerto Rican population is the oldest (in terms of age and length of stay). When you consider that many of the Puerto Ricans came in the '40s and '50s and were born in the '30s, sadly, they're at an age where they're passing away.

I wouldn't try to predict the future based on the past. A lot will hinge on immigration laws. We'll see. It's going to be interesting.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:31 PM

I would agree...I see these super old timers on my block and its kinda crazy. My immediate neighbor is almost 90 and she owns and takes care of her 8 family brownstone since 1952..she just had a stroke and is now incapable of managing the property. Her grand daughter has stepped in and is now trying to handle it but I think they will sell. 3 doors down is an African American guy approximately 87, and he owns a single family brownstone since 1950 and is moving to Atlanta sometimes this year. His immediate neighbor is an 85 year old PR woman who has been in the neighborhood since the 60s and she does not plan on going anywhere anytime soon....her immediate neighbor is in her 80s and has lived here since the 50s in their 2 family brownstone and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Anecdotal..yes, but it's amazing how few people who OWN are not leaving.....the block has hardly changed at all.

The renters, on the other hand, the bulk of whom were Puerto Rican, have come and gone. And the ones that have stayed are the old timers who never made it out and are stuck here until they die.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would agree...I see these super old timers on my block and its kinda crazy. My immediate neighbor is almost 90 and she owns and takes care of her 8 family brownstone since 1952..she just had a stroke and is now incapable of managing the property. Her grand daughter has stepped in and is now trying to handle it but I think they will sell. 3 doors down is an African American guy approximately 87, and he owns a single family brownstone since 1950 and is moving to Atlanta sometimes this year. His immediate neighbor is an 85 year old PR woman who has been in the neighborhood since the 60s and she does not plan on going anywhere anytime soon....her immediate neighbor is in her 80s and has lived here since the 50s in their 2 family brownstone and they are not going anywhere anytime soon. Anecdotal..yes, but it's amazing how few people who OWN are not leaving.....the block has hardly changed at all.

The renters, on the other hand, the bulk of whom were Puerto Rican, have come and gone. And the ones that have stayed are the old timers who never made it out and are stuck here until they die.
That's really interesting. I'd be watching closely to see who is replacing these old timers as they pass away or move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City