Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
How long ago did you move out? The general consensus around here is that Bedford Park has improved over the last few years. There are problem buildings, but people don't seem worried about their safety. I would strongly disagree that Decatur Avenue is an eyesore (I'm talking north of Bedford Park Blvd.). Actually it's a very nice looking block. I'm sorry about your experience, and I hope you find a place that suits you. For me, I love this neighborhood. We've been here about a year and a half and plan on staying.
I moved out about 4 1/2 years ago and still spent most of that time hanging out/coming through frequently.

I agree that Decatur north of BP has improved- the whole stretch looks a lot better than it did 5-10 years ago, though that demolition of that beautiful white house on Decatur/201 to build that multi-family dump is just awful. I do know that the supers of my old building have since left within the last year or so and their replacements are not quite as diligent about cleanliness and doing proper repairs on the building, which concerns me.

Another thing that horrified me is that a lot of the businesses on BP Blvd. have closed and been replaced by very typical ghetto establishments such as a chicken joint, multiple discount stores, and a cheapening of some of quality and merchandise that was sold in the remaining stores. That really is the hallmark of any ghetto neighborhood. I have a background in sociology and I pay very close attention to things like that and I have never seen anything positive come out of the destruction of long-standing quality businesses and strong, smaller buildings being reaplced by cheap stores and overcrowded multi-family dwellings. That is a complete turn-off and just screams "decline" to me.

I am glad you like the neighborhood and hope you stick it out. However, i really wish you could have gotten in there to see the Bedford Park of 10 years ago, which was arguably cleaner, more neighborly, and just nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:15 PM

318 posts, read 1,098,619 times
That's funny--I'm embarassed to admit that I've gotten fried chicken there! I'll have to stop supporting any ghetto establishments.

There are very few businesses on BPB which would make it hard to make an assessment, and they also serve the area to the south, which tends to be a lower-income area. There was certainly a demographic change since the neighborhood used to be Irish, and yes I've heard some people say the neighborhood was nicer when it was Irish. But it's quite nice now, well taken care of and attractive, and again living here, the concensus is that it's been improving the last few years. When I moved to Washington Heights, I heard some similiar comments, that it used to be a lot nicer etc., but when I went there for the first time, I fell in love with it. By the time the newspapers were hyping it, I was priced out of buying anything. I heard no buzz about Bedford Park before moving here. Just recently the neighborhood has been in several newspapers. But really I don't think people should make their decisions of where to live based on what's said in the New York Times. Better to get to know different parts of the city and make up your own mind.

Regarding the Fedders, I hate them and generally believe that something should be done to protect interesting historic houses. That said, there are a couple of houses on Decatur that may merit a Fedder replacement. Do you know that one a little north of BPB with weird bricked up garage smack in front of the house. I understood that that house was vacant for quite a while before being bought by the young white biking family. Unfortunately, I think the house would look better Fedderized. Another candidate(s) are the two practically falling down attached houses on Decatur, next to the church just south of BPB. They could Fedder most of the block with those. Luckily Bedford Park doesn't have many Fedders, but it is a serious issue in the outer boroughs.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:41 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
That's funny--I'm embarassed to admit that I've gotten fried chicken there! I'll have to stop supporting any ghetto establishments.

When I moved to Washington Heights, I heard some similiar comments, that it used to be a lot nicer etc., but when I went there for the first time, I fell in love with it. By the time the newspapers were hyping it, I was priced out of buying anything.
Wait....Washington Heights used to be alot nicer? Then you're talking about the 60's and early 70's because in the 80's and early 90's it was arguably the cities worst neighborhood.

As for Bedford Park....it is declining. Alot of low income hispanics moving in. Its a shame for a neighborhood that held its own for so long while all others south of it perished. This is first hand proof that the Bronx ghettos are not getting extinguished but instead are expanding.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Wait....Washington Heights used to be alot nicer? Then you're talking about the 60's and early 70's because in the 80's and early 90's it was arguably the cities worst neighborhood.

As for Bedford Park....it is declining. Alot of low income hispanics moving in. Its a shame for a neighborhood that held its own for so long while all others south of it perished. This is first hand proof that the Bronx ghettos are not getting extinguished but instead are expanding.
Yes, back in the day I guess. But the area where I lived was pretty nice and quiet, even though the neighborhood had "declined".

Middle class people are moving in to Bedford Park too. We're not the only ones. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:02 PM

127 posts, read 547,993 times
Quote:
When I moved to Washington Heights, I heard some similiar comments, that it used to be a lot nicer etc., but when I went there for the first time, I fell in love with it. By the time the newspapers were hyping it, I was priced out of buying anything.

It's interesting that you said that. I almost got priced out of my neighborhood. What made you pick Bedford Park over lets say Riverdale or a Queens/Brooklyn neighborhood Pete Piper? I'm glad you catched Bedford Park before the hype.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM

Having lived in Upper Manhattan so long, we had a lot of friends there and didn't want to go too far away. Also my wife's family is in Westchester, so living in the Bronx made sense. We sat down and thought about what was important for us. A major factor was ease of getting to work/school, so good public transportation was very important. We didn't want to live somewhere without a subway line because having to only rely on express bus and trains have major drawbacks. Another important factor was open space. It was important to us that we live somewhere with a lot of trees and a great park. We had driven down Mosholu Pkwy and had commented on how beautiful it was. We went to explore the neighborhood and talk to people--and liked what we saw. The Bedford Park side of the Parkway seemed nicer, and it was right by the Metro North train as well. We didn't consider Riverdale. I've never liked it, I can't say exactly why. The schools there are very good, but they weren't a factor for us since my daughter was going to continue going to school in Manhattan. Prices weren't that low there either, the 1 is the only train, and Van Cortlandt isn't my favorite park. We love the Botanical Garden and go there all the time. We've been happy with our decision and are glad to finally be owners. I wish we had done it sooner.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:19 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
Curious--does the presence of Irish pubs in the area necessarily signify a large irish census in the area in the past? Like the Jolly Tinker, on Webster and BPB and former Flanagan's/Finnegan's Irish pub on Valentine and 203(now a bodega), Idle hour bar on 204 and Valentine

I know the Bedford Park area had a lot of Irish in the past but did the presence of these bars confirm this even further?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:29 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
I was reading in the paper that a police officer who died in the WCT on 9/11 had a street corner on the Concourse in BP dedicated to him. He grew up in the area and his parents who are from Ireland still live on the Concourse. I wonder how they make out there.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:26 PM

127 posts, read 547,993 times
Nice Pete, now I feel like moving to Bedford Park. lol

Old 07-08-2008, 04:58 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
We love the Botanical Garden and go there all the time.
That certainly is an asset, having the Botanical Garden as a place to go in the neighborhood. I always enjoy going there, and have done so since I was an infant. And, having gone to special events there, I can say that the setting was absolutely spectacular, though on an average day the garden never fails to impress. That's one of the reasons why the area right around the garden will tend to be preserved, since there's no way the city would allow the world class attraction to be negatively impacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City