Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,227,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In 100 years no one will care about how Willets Point was.

If this were a case where people's property wasn't being stolen, then you have every right to say that without being called out. But I'm sorry fella, if you watched that video and still say that, Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 05-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: Personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,173,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
WHAT??????!!?????
are you f*&%ing kidding me?
last time i checked...
Carpenters and brick masons were still building people houses
Welders and Fabricators were still building fire escapes and laying subway tracks
Auto repair and parts shops were still keeping taxi's and limo's on the streets
Painters and Plasterers were still painting bridges and tunnels.
I could keep this list going all day long and none of these are of the 'technologically advanced kind' that you continue to bring up yet without them the city would grind to an immediate halt.
oh and BTW, those 'unclean' and 'dieing out' blue collar jobs are thriving and pay a lot more than the box store retail shops that you would apparently love to see take over this city.
So, in summary, instead of trying to talk availableusername into leaving the city why dont you leave, they love big box stores and giant retail chains down south and out west.
I think you'll find much less resistance to your 'progressive' views elsewhere.
Again, dirty industry is dieing in NYC. Notice the zoning changes allowing formally ABANDONDED industrial swaths into residential neighborhoods. The land is far too valueable in a living sense, and people prefer to live away from businesses like those found at Willets Point. NYC in general has benefited from less pollution.

Availableusername, calling me anti-American is not justifying your opinion at all. It's pretty obvious this development will do good for NYC. If that offends you, get over it. That's about all you can do considering you have absolutely no voice, considering your points are counter productive to the greater good and hold no economic base. These thousand plus workers are getting a pretty good deal considering the continued reduction in vehicle ownership, anticipated evolution in the tech, and lack of education among most. They are holding out for more like anyone else would.

I hate the Mets but it will be great grabbing a beer at a Willets Point sports bar while the Yanks crush them during the subway series. Can't wait to see further development in Flushing and Corona/Elmhurst.

Why the a

Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 AM

Watch the video, and specifically address what the guys in it are talkin about there kiddo. I find it fascinating that you guys cannot do that, yet continue to babble on about how "it's for the greater good garble garble garble...".

Also, it's spelled "dying". I couldn't read that anymore...

Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM

171 posts, read 305,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Again, dirty industry is dieing in NYC.
thats funny cause i run one of those 'dirty businesses' that you refer to and my business just keeps growing and growing, its certainly not dying.
It really troubles me however that there actually are people that would somehow enjoy seeing it die though, along with every blue collar and skilled trade job in the city.
Hate to break it to you pal but it aint happenin anytime soon, lots more of 'us' out here than 'you', dig?

besides, your entire point here is moot anyway nykiddo, as the people of the point in no uncertain terms won last week and showed how a small group of property owners can get organized, actually fight city hall, and win.
Silverstein, avalon and tdc are out now..along with the mayor who realizing defeat has abandoned the plan and the court case even.
The amount of money needed to make this happen will not be coming anytime during Bloombuck's last term and the people are overwhelmingly against this sort of property seizure so i can assure you that IT AINT HAPPENING, at least not in it's original form and certainly not anytime soon!!

so there...haha

also, i thought about it last night and i'm really sorry i suggested you move down south, you see most southern people are an extremely proud and loyal bunch who are very educated about their personal and property rights and will protect those rights savagely if need be..i would suggest you stay away...seriously though.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM

791 posts, read 1,436,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
thats funny cause i run one of those 'dirty businesses' that you refer to and my business just keeps growing and growing, its certainly not dying.
What, you run a bike shop? When I lived out west I had a really good customer who was an electroplater - he used to rechrome bike parts.

Yes, I'm an electroplating chemist...at least I used to be till all the "dirty businesses" like yours that so offend the tender noses of various Wall Street yuppies and trustafarians got off shored to Asia.

I guess playing funny money games and kicking people out of their houses isn't considered a "dirty business", huh?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
I guess playing funny money games and kicking people out of their houses isn't considered a "dirty business", huh?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:16 AM

171 posts, read 305,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
What, you run a bike shop?
yes Steve, well mostly bikes at least. We do fabrication, machining, welding, etc.

[/quote]Yes, I'm an electroplating chemist.[/quote]
not to hijak but, we NEED to talk..haha
i need a plater and i'm having trouble with my current guy.

[/quote]I guess playing funny money games and kicking people out of their houses isn't considered a "dirty business", huh?[/quote]
funny that more people dont see it this way, sad actually.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,449,688 times
Please remember to discuss the ISSUE and not other members, thank you. That's the point of a discussion thread on a forum like C-D, not to personally attack other members. Thank you.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,423,572 times
are you rich?

Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM

791 posts, read 1,436,075 times
Default Eminent domain use by the schooling industry

Yup, the SCHOOLING INDUSTRY.

Both Columbia and NYU have used eminent domain to condemn huge tracts of the city for their use. You'd think that you could go in and use their libraries, right?

Wrong. They make you pay huge fees.

Guess they don't like competition for guys like me who can just go read a book and learn, and don't need to be spoon fed knowlege by some tenured windbag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City